“An eventful weekend- kinda”

La Dolce Vita Guest House
Ranked #12 of 38 Hartbeespoort B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Recommended by a friend who had stayed there the previous year.Booked a family weekend with the wife and 2 teenage kids.Had the pleasure spa and spa 2 rooms. Spa 1 ( we called it the penthouse ) a definite hit with the Mrs with the biggest shower i have ever been in.The winter sun weekend was complimented by a stone fire pit table which kept us more than cozy in our room with at night.The clear ceiling melted the winter chill bringing the best of the midday sun into room.Bliss, ahhhhh yes....We were later disappointed the jacuzzi worked 1 day and didn't on the Sunday when weather was perfect so it became a mini pool.
Sunrise view perfect, balcony view perfect with a cool breeze.
Pool downstairs had a few leaves , we were tempted , perhaps next time if its leaf free.I like clear water and leaf free pools.
Self catering??? -well,we wanted to but the nearest grocery store was miles away so that was never an option.Pity as the kitchen begs you to cook in it ,again with a great view.Another stone fire pit in the living room did the trick Friday and Saturday evening and a large dining room table I was disappointed not to be head of table, why , because we were not informed we could cook.
Food , time for dinner.We were greeted by the manager and politely ushered to the dining room to be centre stage in the dining room.Now , we are not exactly a quiet family so we received the odd glance from the more amorous intimate diners.Food was served by helpful polite staff who knew the menu well. Unfortunately the spoilt brat who happens to be my son decided he wanted fries.Presto , the chef accommodated our request.With an all inclusive package, how do you explain to 13 year old value for money.Simple you cant.The Mrs enjoyed her meal as did I.
I did expect more bacon for breakfast ( yes I am a pig , lol ) given that my breakfast started with a continental buffet.I did feel i got my breakfasts worth as lunch only telephoned my stomach late afternoon as did the boys.
We were playing happy families :-) to be disturbed during the day :-( by other guests en route to the massage rooms.Once they done we were :-)
The boys the boys the boys , what shall we do with them , what the hell can keep them busy.Truth be told , I was happy we were away from mod cons in that we went hiking, walks and this gave my family the perfect opportunity to bond, well , that's when the Mrs was doing her hair and nails.

To sum it up, every place I have stayed at be it the Hilton or Radisson, or my brothers sofa, there is always something or manything to complain about and La Dolce Vita is no different.Despite what it may lack i will be back one summer to relive the boat ride, the courteous staff who were more than accommodating and the Penthouse experience,

we came we chilled, a bit to chilled we missed our flight home that afternoon as we had a late check out and perfect weather.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sim R

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stumbled upon the website and saw the packages advertised which seem somewhat worth it considering all that was on offer for a weekend getaway and booked one of them. We get to the guest lodge which does not have enough parking for all the guests firstly and then we are greeted by the manager who takes us to our room. The first thing we see is that the curtain is hanging off its rails, the towels were not folded and there were no Belgium chocolates in our room. The food was not too bad and the kitchen staff were quite pleasant. But once we got to our rooms to sleep were we unpleasantly kept awake by the room above us with the loud rattling of pipes when they open the taps. The Saturday we have breakfast and there is no sugar on our table. If you have 10 tables set up, make sure that they are set up with everything and not us having to ask for things. We then go out for the day an upon returning we were very upset to find that the person that was supposed to clean the room did NOT lock the room door. How careless can a person be especially when our valuable items were in the room baring in mind that there is no form of security between your room and the street, the reception is a level down. The gaurds at the boom gate to the residential area just let you in without validating that you are indeed staying at the guest lodge which leads me to believe anyone can come into the premises. We wake up on Sunday morning and they did not refill the coffee we used from Saturday morning. I would not personally recommend this lodge to to anyone, rather look around properly first as the little things do count for something greater and it's definitely not here.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Moordyk
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My son and I stayed here for a night while travelling in Africa. Our room was spacious and clean - lovely linens. Had a great view! Too bad it was winter and could not use the outdoor pool. We enjoyed the food - just as we requested and the staff were very attentive and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I received a gift from my mother for a weekend away - R5400 for honeymoon suite at this so called '4' star guest house - this was to include 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, sunset cruise and 2 night accommodation. We arrive to a dirty place - carpet looks like it hasn't been cleaned ever and taken to our room which look NOTHING like the website. its average at best. my mom had told them i was a vegetarian and they said they could cater. we go for dinner Friday night and i check again that they are able to cater for vegetarians and once again they say no problem- 1 hour after arriving for dinner i get my main meal of 2 boiled potatoes, carrots and baby marrow. i call the owner as the manager was no longer around and complain - he is rude and aggressive - he then call and says we should have informed them i was a vegetarian (which my mom had) the lights in the room keep tripping of which we inform him on the phone as well. we go to breakfast Saturday m

orning and they once again have a marginal spread and no choices for the health conscious. I then send the owner a message to tell him we would rather leave and go to a place that is able to cater for us can he please arrange a refund - at which i get no reply - so i called him - he answered the phone and then proceeded to shout and scream at me and calls me rude cause i am ‘forcing’ him to take a call on the golf course (not sure how as he answered the call) - he says he will phone me back and puts the phone down on me. I wait over 10 minutes and get no call so i do downstairs to speak to the manager on duty - she tells me she cannot do the refund and needs to call the owner - i tell her he can’t speak as he is on the golf course and had previously put the phone down on me. - other guests who were eating hear this conversation as it was happening at the reception not more than 5m from their table - they were astounded and starting asking me questions on the experience

and what was going on. Dion the owner then phoned his manager - who took the call outside. she then called me to take the call and he proceeded to scream and threaten me and told me that if myself and my husband do not leave his premises in the next 5 minutes it takes him to get there he will hurt us and get us forcefully removed. What a shocking experience

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Claire S
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have to agree with the previous comments regarding this guest house.Looking at the Website and the prices you pay you expect a certain amount of luxury when you arrive. The rooms are small, dated and not well layed out. Simple things like no bin in the toilet area, aircon remote not working and having the sound of water come up into your bath when somebody else is using theirs, are just not accepatable when paying this sort of money. Was a beautiful weekend however there are only 2 loungers for 10 suites. Food is average, nothing to write home about, and the service is somewhat slow with un-informed/untrained staff. No sign of the owners and this is evident. Wouldnt return, would try somewhere else next time for those prices.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Smurf2412
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We booked a nice sunday lunch and boat ride but instead I got maggots on my plate and the following day when we called the owner to get our re-imbursement as he promised, he told us we were harrasing him...SERIOUSLY!! Worst place ever!! Dont recommend this place not even for a glass of water!! Beyond livid with this whole situation

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank PissedO_11
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We booked for a special weekend, but after staying only one night we were looking for better accommodation. The place is dated & dirty and the owners are clearly not investing any money and are not interested. The so called fine dining was prepared by staff who did not know the difference between fried and grilled. Due to high season the place was fully booked - and the place could not cope with the electricity demand - which result in constant power failures and ...a lack of hot water in the middle of winter.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple