“Tragic but Noble Place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Iimoriyama

Iimoriyama
Auckland Region, New Zealand
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 356 helpful votes
“Tragic but Noble Place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

The graves of the Byakkotai (White Tiger Corps) boy soldiers, aged 14 - 16, are on Limoriyama. Returning from battle in the Boshin Civil War, the boys were on the mountain and saw in the distance, Tsuruga Castle in flames. They thought that their castle had been taken so commited ritual suicide on the mountain. The tradgedy is that the castle had not been taken.

Also on Limoriyama is Sazaedo Pagoda which is a facinating piece of ancient design and enginering. Inside you will find lots of writing which may be prayers, plus ancient grafitti. It was there when I first came about 25 years ago. The pagoda has character but please don't add to it.

Visited November 2013

Singapore
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“May peace prevails on Earth”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

My 2nd trip to this sad place. If it is sad, why do I visit again? To pay respect to the 20 youths who died needlessly although bravely, or to remind myself that we all live in a delicate world, hovering between peace and war.
As it is cheaper, I bought a all day bus pass. The bus stop just in front of the foot of the mountain.
There are shops selling food, drinks and souvenirs at the entrance. After that it is a long way up the stairs. If you are not keen on the climb, there is also a escalator but you will have pay for the use. I preferred the hard way. To prove my sincerity, my wish for peace, I preferred to climb.
The tombs were separated into 2. Those who died fighting, and those who died by their own hands, suicide. There is sign that directs you to the spot where the 20 youths committed suicide after they thought their castle has fallen upon seeing smoke from the castle area.
Along that route stood the tomb of the one that did not manage to died on that day. Sadakichi Iinuma requested that his remains be with his comrades after his death.
From the spot of their suicide, you will be able to see Tsuruga Castle. Just look for the red pole
into the distance.
By the time I got down from the mountain, my eyes were swollen and nose red from crying.
There was a sign erected near the path toward their suicide spot. It says, it both Japanese and English, May Peace Prevails on Earth.
I wondered and I am still wondering if this will ever cone to pass.

Visited April 2012