All reviews free shuttle gift shop hotel is located entrance baths guests wifi floor station japan ryokan onsen
Selected filters
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Arriving at the hotel on the free shuttle from the station, our first impression wasn't good to say the least. The exterior is drab and in need of a spruce up. On entering we were more assured since the lobby floor is updated and quite bright, with a fine artificial flower arrangement.
Check in was a breeze and the front staff helpful and cheery. Our room was on the 5th floor and our mouths dropped on entry. We must have had the smallest twin in the hotel and it, too, was in desperate need of refurbishment. The carpet was quite stained and the bathroom tiny. We soon made our way to the onsen baths on the 3rd floor. Our spirits were again lifted. The interior bath is not very big but the main attraction is the rotenburo (outdoor bath). There is also a sauna. There is only one bath towel and one hand towel provided in the room so these must be taken to the baths and then back to the room.
The baths men and women use switch depending on the time of use. Afternoon/evening and morning. The baths are clearly marked. As with (virtually) all Japanese hotels/ryokan, amenities and yukata are provided.
On the first night we had the buffet dinner. Great selection of food and wide selection of drinks. Time is limited to 90 minutes but this is more than enough. The next morning we had the buffet breakfast. Again, great selection more orientated to Japanese dishes but enough 'Western' to please anyone. For the second night we thought we would try the ryotei (restaurant with private rooms). This was quite disappointing.
The food was average at best. 'Hot' food was lukewarm and service slow.
We cancelled a second planned dinner there and opted for the buffet for the next two nights. Better food at a better price.
After a couple of nights, the size and drabness of the room no longer bothered us. The staff were excellent. Always cheerful and ready to help.
Free coffee is available in the lounge until 6pm. It's from a machine. Not great but can't complain.
There is a shop on the lobby floor with a wide selection of products/omiage.
The shuttle bus runs to the station at 8.30 and 10 in the morning and will drop you off at Bukeyashiki (samurai residence) or Iimoriyama. It also picks up at the station at 14.10, 15.10, 16.30 and 17.00 (better to check times in case of change or my faulty memory). There are also buses that stop fairly close to the hotel, perhaps a 5 min walk, mainly uphill going to the hotel.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2016

Location: This hotel is located at the entrance of Higashiyama Onsen. For travelers who take JR train instead of driving, I recommend arriving Aizu-Wakamatsu in the afternoon, and contacting hotel in advance to sign up for free shuttle. I happened to arrive in the morning, and had to take the local sightseeing bus, get off at the "entrance of Higashiyama Onsen" stop, and drag my luggage to the hotel (not a pleasant experience but not hotel's fault). Also, the hotel is in walking distance to Samurai House. Taking the sightseeing bus at the nearby stop can take you to most of the sightseeing spots in the city.
Room: the Western-style room we stayed was a bit dated, but I expected that during booking, and I was OK with it.
Food: Buffet was great. There were many, many options to choose from. There was also the local specialty of horse-meat sushi.
Service: This hotel offered fantastic service. My friend and I were both sick that day. I let them know that my friend was too sick to come down and eat dinner buffet. They were willing to offer room service for dinner (without extra charge). Also, a few hotel staff were able to speak English, which made my life a lot easier.
Overall: I would recommend this hotel for foreign visitors (with JR Pass) who are considering a stay in Aizu-Wakamatsu. However, if you are really into hotels with "traditional Japanese hot spring atmosphere," then this hotel might not be the best option. The hot spring bath is very modern and does not have the "traditional feel."

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2015

We had a thoroughly enjoyable three night stay. The hotel is just out of the town and very close to a loop bus stop. There's also a shuttle bus to the station. As it's quite high up the views are great from the baths and the dining room. One night we got a lovely sunset view over the town from the dining room. Our room was fine but had no view. Lots of space though. The baths were beautiful - they change genders through the night so you get to use both. A number of staff had limited English - we speak enough Japanese to get by so we had no problems. A couple of staff spoke very good English. One of the girls who worked in the restaurant spoke good English and was really friendly, we saw her in the town one day and she went out of her way to say hello. I then dropped some money in the really busy restaurant and when she she saw me looking for it an hour later came after me so I could get it back. I was really touched. Dinner and breakfast buffets were brilliant- even as strict vegetarians we got a huge choice and it was all delicious. As well as salads, vegetables, sushi and tempura there was pasta made to order, and the desserts were gorgeous. For meat/fish eaters the choice is enormous! Lobby had good wifi, and a good gift shop. It's a big hotel with a lot of guests so you don't get an intimate ryokan experience but as a resort hotel it's brilliant.

Date of stay: April 2015
Reviewed October 12, 2014

This is the second time that I have stayed here and they certainly lived up to expectations. The room, while one of the older ones and in line for renovation was more than adequate. The baths as normal were up to their high standard and I was lucky enough to have been there on a beautiful autumn day with the warmth of the sun and a gentle breeze making it a special day.
The dinner and breakfast lunch are extensive and will meet the most of discerning guests. The service and kindness of the staff exceed expectations.

Date of stay: October 2014
1  Thank ichibanwanderer
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Hotel has a complimentary coach service from and back to the station and they will even drop you off at the castle the following day for a little sightseeing.
The room we had was on the 3rd floor, bright, airy but no view. The big advantage is that it was about 20 metres walk from the baths. Both baths are great with views over Aizu and also with different baths in each section. The viking dinner was definitely one of the best that I have had anywhere with excellent sushi, sashimi and tempura. This is also the only place that I have been where you are able to select "drink all you want" as an individual and not forced to have both you and your partner select the same option.
Large Hotel and during our stay there were quite a few groups and you do feel as though you get lost. If you are looking for a smaller ryokan, this is not for you, if you don't mind the groups around this is a good choice.

Room tip: If looking for a view, ask for a higher room, if conveniant to the Baths and the lobby, the 3rd floor would be an excellent choice.
Date of stay: November 2013