“Bear necessities”
Review of Bear Inn

Bear Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Street B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The staff of this place work their socks off. The result is a well-run pub/restaurant with rooms. Ours was to one side, overlooking the beer garden. Room big and airy. Bed fine. Bathroom - refurbished old one but everything worked. One thing missing was a telephone shower for hair washing. We stayed one night for a seminar the next day. Bar pleasant and buzzy (but no noise from it in our room). Next day, breakfast was a buffet, rather than done to order. Even so, the food tasted OK, so it hadn't been hanging around for very long. In all, more than acceptable. The Bear has more life to it than other places in Street and, given we go there most years for work, I'd probably choose to stay here than anywhere else in this small town.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for a quiet room. Ours was - but then again, it was raining all night, so the beer...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I recently stayed at The Bear Inn and the experience was excellent, more than I expected for £40 per person per night. Rooms are clean with modern decor and facilities, food and drink was very good too.
At breakfast, coffee is served in a cafetiere and tastes all the better for it.

If you fancy a swim there is even a traditional heated lido across the road, for a small charge.

I will be going back again and looking forward to it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed for one night, as we'd been to the RNAS Air Show. We stayed in the Blossom Cottages, a little way away from the main pub and our rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean. The decor was a little dated but for a bargain (£48 B&B for a family of three) overnighter there was absolutely nothing to complain about.

The Breakfast was average, but the staff were helpful and there was as much of it as you could eat (cereal, fruit, toast, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, tomato and beans). If I was hyper critical I would say the quality of the bacon and sausage could be improved and there could be more variety....but the basics were there and I have no complaints for the money we spent. The teas and coffees kept coming and the butter was already soft (I HATE hard butter, where you have to balance it under your coffee cup before you can spread it!)

All in all very good value for money and we would stay again if we were in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2012

when with a friend and waited 30 mintues just for scampi and chips which when arrives were over cooked and cold, never never again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2012

this was a last min getaway, £30 a night b&b so booked 2 nights, had a very plesant wellcome by staff and shown to our room which was just down the road, the room was cheep and chearfull nice and tidy, the bathroom could have done with a little more cleaning but all was very nice, in the bathroom there was a jaczy bath which was very nice to relax in..we didnt have any main meals in the pup but had breakfast which again was very nice,the only down side was that there was no vegaterian option {apart from the normal fried eggs,beans,mushrooms and tomato} when asked about veg sausages "sorry sir we dont have them" and that was that, but the breakfast was very nice, if not a bit disorganised, we had a lovely stay, i would recomend this place for anyone looking for a cheep get away or a stop over on there there way some were, we will be using this inn again....

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I had dinned at the Bear Inn before and it was late summer last year. Very busy and we where warned there could be possible delays with our food. As it turned out there wasn't, the wine was superb and many Inns/Hotels would do well to follow the example here. The food was also excellent and it was a memorable night. So much so that when I had a business appointment in the area in April 2012 we decided to mix business with pleasure booking two nights accommodation. Because it was out of season we received a discount on our accommodation and an offer of a discount on food purchased in the Inn. That aside the room was spacious clean and well appointed, A very comfortable sofa graced the room, the bath room was sizeable. The window looked out onto the old Clark's building. I like the Bear Inn it has character, something that I look for if staying for pleasure, I had the prawn cocktail starter, served on a wooden platter, plentiful and of a good quality. I do like to eat more exotic food but for the last few years I seem to have been on a nostalgia trip with regards to seventies staples. I am usually more adventures with main meals but the mixed grill was too inviting at 20 oz of meat. I wasn't to be disappointed, the meat was all of a good quality and cooked to my liking. This is standard pub fare but done to perfection. It was so good my wife just had to try it the following night. Both nights I was really tempted by the excellent sounding cheese board but unfortunately no room. As my previous visit I ordered a bottle of Arthur Metz sparkling rose from the alsace region of France. Almost a pink champagne and of a great standard. If only other Inns would abandon this obsession with Chardonnay Chenin Blanc and Sauvignon from the four corners of the Earth. The odd new world wine is good but most have no character whatsoever and obviously have to be shipped thousands of miles. With all this talk of carbon foot prints I'm surprised no one has exploited this point yet. There is a veritable ocean of outstanding wine just a matter of a few hundred miles from these shores totally untapped. The breakfast is self service and there was a little bit of a struggle to keep up with supplying all of the cooked elements at the same time but it was of a good standard and plentiful. There was also good options for those who require other than full English. This Inn is central for visiting Historic Glastonbury and many of the outstanding features in this part of Somerset. I have walked the Tor, the Abbey gardens and the Chalice well to name three. Oh, almost forget to say, just across the road is Clarks Village, the excellent shopping out let. At two minutes away you can retire to the Bear Inn with your goods and refuel at the bar before returning to the fray. I will be back!

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Our order was forgotten and the food was cold when it did arrive. Service was terrible.
I was very disappointed all round, even the tables were not cleared and cleaned very well.
It would be good if they employed a manager to keep an eye on the floor and customer care.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Street
Mullions Hotel
Wessex Hotel
Wessex Hotel
#2 of 2 in Street
#5 of 8 in Street

Been to Bear Inn? Share your experiences!