“Dreadful Experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Street
Ireland
“Dreadful Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

Arrived at the Wessex Hotel on 2nd May 2008. We were given keys to our room by reception staff who appeared helpful. We were informed at this point that the hotel was being renovated and we would have to excuse a little mess on the hallways (what an understatement!!) We experienced some difficulty gaining access to our room due to rolls of used carpet cluttering up the hallways and large boxes of tiles. The smell of paint throughout the hotel was pretty unpleasant to say the least. Might I add, I booked this hotel 3 months prior to our visit and had a number of telephone calls to the hotel confirming details, however at no point were we informed of any renovations

The bedroom itself had just been refurbished (to a very low standard in our opinion) however the bathroom was like something from the 1970's, bright pink tiles.

We dropped of our luggage and went for a walk about. Approximately 1 hour after arriving we received a phonecall from home informing us a close relative was extremely ill and we needed to return to Ireland. I immediately telephoned the hotel and informed the reception staff of our situation. I was at this point told we would receive a refund for the following 2 nights as we had given 24 hour notice.

The following morning when checking out, the receptionist informed me he had no knowledge of our situation and couldn't refund our money. He explained the receptionist I had spokien to the previous day was on leave and would be back 3 days later and he would be in contact with us then.

I have since rang the hotel on 4 occasions in an attempt to obtain our refund but have constantly been told someone from management will return my call. On ringing today, the receptionist actually hung up the phone while I was still speaking!!. Very professional (not).

We paid £240 for 3 nights which for this standard of a hotel is not cheap.

I would clearly not recommend this hotel to anyone. There is much better accommodation around the area at much better prices.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
3 Thank WinstonIreland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Hants
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

If you want a comfortable bed for a night or two look elsewhere.-
We arrived the reception, booked in & were given our room key.
On entering the room I noticed that the bed sagged in the middle, after a quick sit on it & we headed back to reception to ask for another room.

The staff were friendly & appolagetic & gave us another room.
The bed looked better than the last so we agreed to accept it.
By the early hours we realised that we had made a big mistake,
aches & pains all over I decided to get up around 6.00am. & go for a walk. We had booked two nights but one was more than enough! We booked into another local Hotel & had a great time!

We are not heavyweights, me at 10st. & my wife at 9st. But these beds were so worn it was like sleeping on a pile of bricks.The place is not cheap at £70. so you would expect decent beds! The rooms are like a Travel Lodge or Holiday Inn, we were very disapointed. We ended up staying at Meare Manor about 5 miles from Street, What a difference! Recommended to any one!

• Liked — Loation
  • Disliked — Outdated
  • Tips/Secrets — Read reviews first....I didn't!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank hantsfolk

Travelers are raving about these Street hotels

UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2006

I had the unfortunate experience of staying 2 nights in this hotel and will never set foot in it again in my life!

The bathrooms are from the 1970s and in a desperate need of redecoration, the staff are unhelpful (see below) and the breakfast was, at best, mediocre.

For c£80 a night you can find far better hotels locally.

My stay reached its peak when at 1am in the morning the fire alarm went off and for the next hour continued to intermittently ring! When we asked for a discount the following morning the response was a straight "NO" to which I commented that I would never be staying in the hotel again. The receiptionist's response to this was:-

"neither would I"....!!!!!!!!!!

I rest my case....

• Stayed August 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Anon456
Birmingham, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

Stayed here May bank holiday weekend. Rooms need total refurb - they look like they are from the 70's - complete with pink bathroom. We also had problem with the water only being luke warm temperature. - (note sign by the taps - caution hot water).

The hotel's night life seemed non existent - but the bear pub and bistro 2 min walk away made up for this.

The hotel has got potential, does need that all important re-furb to justify the £90.00 a night bed and breakfast. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed April 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank emzi
Taunton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2006

Booked six rooms as we were celebrating my daughter's wedding party in Glastonbury and wanted a nice experience. A very cold weekend. Lift not working making it difficult for elderly members of party. Five out of six rooms had lukewarm water making bathing/showering uncomfortable. Towel rails not working so no heat in bathrooms. Windows very draughty/not closing properly so any heat there was soon went. Sparse furnishings in half rooms. Would not telephone taxi for us. Breakfast in cold dining room (only heater was near to staff rather than guests). Bacon ran out by the time half of our party arrived at breakfast. Wrote a polite letter asking for response as felt for hotel of this rating and at the price they charged, it should have been so much better. Had no response to letter. They seemed more interested in large group bookings/events than individual guests. Would not recommend anyone staying there - would have preferred small b& b as some of our family & friends had a much better experience elswhere at half the price. Have been looking for somewhere to put my review so pleased to have found this site.

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank GToTaunton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Street
Mullions Hotel
Best Western Plus Swan Hotel
George and Pilgrims Hotel
George and Pilgrims Hotel
#3 of 5 in Glastonbury

Been to Wessex Hotel? Share your experiences!