See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Baras resort is a wonderful place to chill out,the family is very nice, its very quite, relax...Perfect bamboo bungalowyou can cook your own food, don't forget to bring some and the dish at the restaurant are so good and cheap! If you borrow a small boat you can go to a big cave where you can see many bats and the beach is amazing so grab a book and enjoy.
electricity between 6 to 10 at night
joanne et charly

Room Tip: celle de gauche est tres bien placé.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank charles g
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am a very generous traveller with points, I can be satiesfied very fast. But this resort is runned down. Not to recommend any more to go.

We went there for one night because one of my friends recommended the place. But bad to say: It must be a loooong time before. The houses are dark, dirty and full of ants, and it's just no service any more:

- On their homepage they offer a transport directly from Iloilo to the resort and back for a good price. But the one way they did not come (misunderstanding) and we had to travel with tricycle over bumping and dusty streets. To the way back they told us that their boat is too small for us and that we have to hire a bumpboat from IloIlo, waiting 2 hours and paying 3000 pesos for that, what is a lot of money here.

- Electricity only from 6:00 pm (or later) to 10:00 pm. That means: no water for shower or toilet (!) during just the whole day, because the water pump does not work.

- It seems that in the restaurant they don't have a food stock any more. So we were waiting for a meal in the dark, hungry, thirsty and dissatisfied, till the owner came back from the market.

- The towels we only got after asking for them several times. They told us to use the blankets, but what will we we take in the night?

What a pity for this resort at such a charming place in the middle of nowhere. It could the ideal place for people looking for a quite and wonderful surrounding. The only positive thing I can mention is the very very friendly staff and the good fresh cooked meal we got after a long time of waiting. But this is not enough.

The way have found two canadien guests. They broght all with them: a lot of food and drinks, and they were allowed to prepare the meals themselves in the restaurant, like on a campsite. And they were happy ...

Room Tip: don't go!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank pdemo
Reviewed September 15, 2012

First of all surrounding nature and view is fantastic. But once you enter one of those nipa huts a cold shower runs over your back: it's dark and dirty inside. in our cabinet lived a spider the sice of my fist. the ceiling above our bed was about 3m height and full of spider nets. some of the windows were broken and when we went to sleep animal's nightlife began. our impression of the resort was that it has not been cleaned for YEARS! the next morning the mosquito net above our bed was full of small black cuttles ( rat poo?) . it was the worst night of my live. bad memories and plenty of insect bites are the only things I got!

• Stayed: September 2012
7  Thank estefaniakelentha
Reviewed March 16, 2012

It used to be a great place when the original british owner was still alive and the one managing it. Now the resort is totally mismanaged by the present caretaker and this is partly due to the internal squabble among the caretakers themselves.

The good:

Place is surrounded by small islands and you can do kayaking around the area, cottages has spectacular views.

The bad:

Facilities is rundown, staff customer service is poor, food choices is limited (no fruits or mangoes available when I was there) Electricity was being run for a few hours in a day.

My verdict: Avoid this place

Room Tip: Bring your own canned food and snacks just in case.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank gerald1974
Reviewed November 19, 2011

We chose to stay here because of its isolated location--and it looked good in pictures. This may have been a gorgeous resort a few years back but now, it's a ratty place to be in. First off, the location itself may work for or against it. Have this resort been beautiful and not lacking, then its isolation would have been perfect.

2. The place is clearly not well-maintained. I think the present owners [the European owner died years ago] forgot that this is a RESORT. Simple things such as dried bamboo stalks lying by the pathway are largely ignored. This may be a bit trivial but little things such as this leads one to conclude that the management doesn't care about their business.

3. About the rooms, the view from the window is nice but the mosquito nets which are kept in the cabinet are damp and some are wet. The beams in the ceiling are exposed and it's safe to say that there are debris lying on top of those since when the wind blew hard, specks landed on our faces while we were sleeping.

This is a terrible+charming place that could draw tons of tourists if only the management care. To be fair, they were very attentive to our needs. The food was cooked fresh every time [they had to travel by boat just to buy fresh ingredients for our meals] and it was pretty good, actually [I tasted my first beef rendang here]. So sad to be giving a two since I'm a very forgiving traveler but still, I have to be honest.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends