“Fantastic stay”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Argostolion
Berkshire
“Fantastic stay”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We spent a week here in late August, on the basis of the reviews given by others.
We were not disappointed. I'd like to give 5 stars, but for me 5 stars is perfection and through no real fault of the owners this doesn't quite get there. The reason?...the location. Whilst remote and peaceful are definite plus points, it does mean you always have to travel to experience the best of the island each day, and on top of that due to it's specific location there is very little view to speak of from our room (although our room was on the ground floor, the higher rooms may improve on this aspect.) and/or the eating area, in this respect it isn't the kind of place you can or want to stay at during the day in the same way you might at a 'resort'. To be fair it isn't advertised as such, so you go there knowing this is the case.

In every other respect this hotel is SUPERB, and this is down to a few basic qualities. The owners and staff, who are (always!)utterly charming, warm, friendly, welcoming and helpful. The service, prompt but relaxed, attentive but not intrusive. The food (reviewed under the restaurant of the same name) which is first class and in my opinion the best on the island (I'd give that 6 stars!), and the attention to detail generally in this villa converted to 6 rooms, means everything is 'personal' and specific to you. Other hotels may offer the views, may offer the swimming pools and continual buffets, lifts and concierge, but again in my opinion, you can't better a hotel that feels as if everything is being done just for you alone and not the masses. I love the place.
Andy+Sue

Room Tip: Higher floors will offer the view that would make this place even more enjoyable.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We can't describe in words what's going here.
Katerina and Barry will wellcome you so lovely and warmly.
They're offering perfect breakfast and dinner full of love and harmony.
It's a secret and romantic place of silence and honesty.
We recommand it at all.
Peter & Katharina on honeymoon

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katharina L
Taunton
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Thank you again to Katerina, Maria and all the staff for such a lovely wedding reception. The food, music, setting and hospitality were all first class and were key to us having such a special day which we will always remember. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Museum Hotel George Molfetas to anybody who wishes to make a special occasion extra special.

Teresa and Karl

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the George Molfetas Museum Hotel for 4 nights in August 2013 as part of my honeymoon. It is called a hotel but it is not. It is in a category of its own. Its made up by the stuff dreams are made out of. Its a 19th century renovated house with 6 rooms designed to take you back in time and offer you a feeling of pure romance.

The hotel is run by the lovely Katerina and the charming Barry, the people who spent years planning, designing and building this breathtaking residence.

Let me explain a day there. I wake up in the morning snoozing on the sofa outside my room when I open my eyes a couple of minutes later and I find my double espresso on the coffee table (I had ordered it the previous morning and they remembered my preference). Breakfast is served a little later and everything is fresh and delicious. After Barry serves us he goes and plays a charming melody on his piano while we enjoy our breakfast. Katerina helps us plan our day, making calls and giving detailed tips and directions. The day she planned for us ends up pure satisfying. We come back to a dinner made by Katerina her self, with local fresh ingredients shopped the same day. My God was it delicious. There are only 2 other tables being served so the attention and care we get is maximum.

Katerina and Barry are such good hearted people that make you feel more at home than you are in your real home. They were the best part of the stay.

What an experience. Fall in love again in this majestic place.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Andyl2509
Paris, France
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We are a young French couple that spend 4 nights of our honeymoon there ! This place is a little paradise ! Katerina and Barry will welcome you with all their kindness and attention !!! Their generosity is fully touching !
The room we had was furnished with a delicate taste and harmony. Dishes were other pieces of paradise, Katernina cooks marvelous and fine meals ! All is healthy and perfectly balanced ! We've never eaten such a good food in our lives !!
We even stayed some of our day-time at the hotel to make the most of the calm and serenity that come from this lovely place !!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Argostolion, Greece
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic food, such bespoke menus made to suit any dietary requirements, fantastic setting, you would never dream of it being in such a secluded area within the village of Farakalata and wonderful attentive hosts.
Nothing is too much trouble.

What a way to celebrate a surprise 50th birthday. It's was idyllic. Balloons, banners and a surprise Pavlova Birthday cake. Thank goodness there were not 50 candles on it.

Thank you so much Katarina.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Verona, Italy
Reviewed July 21, 2013

For the first time, I feel Tripadvisor should have a special 6 star review.
The Museum Hotel George Molfetas, the Kefalonia Heritage Villa, is a true little gem in the heart of beautiful Kefalonia. Hidden in the small authentic village of Faraklata, on a hill facing the gulf of Argostoli, the villa has an unique charme. It is not a hotel, it's a warm and outstandingly stylish house, where every single corner is full of history, art, beautiful objects, books, paintings and old family pictures, you feel you are in wonderful olden times..... Every room is different, has a different name, all of them are embraced in warm style and comfort. I stayed in Anticlea room with my nephew, a stunning maisonette, wooden staricase and warm red walls, books everywhere, my mother at the marvelous Helen, warm in green and gold walls, sofas and furniture of, again, unique comfort and warmth. Beautiful Eros for my sister and her daughter, with a glassed bathroom ensuite and stones. Excellent breakfasts in the courtyard, with biological and healthy food.
But, above all this comfort and beauty, Katerina and Barry. As you arrive, you are welcomed with an embrace, and it lasts fot all your staying. Their hospitality makes you feel like you are as a family, the culture and the knowledge of Katerina, her open-hearted sharing, the beautiful background music played by Barry in the morning and evening and his warm smile ... I won't forget. They are also always attentive and ready to give you the best tips and advices on the island.
Last but not least, Katerina's cuisine. Dinners at the Molfetas are to remember. The cosiness of the terrace on the stunning living room are the perfect place for Katerina's dishes, most of them her own creations, with flavors and tastes unique and exquisite.
Sorry I have been a bit long, but I could go on and on and on....
Pure pleasure.
P.S. I don't usually put pictures, but the sign of the hotel is beautiful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MaurizioPicio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Argostolion
Kefalonia Grand Hotel
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
Tourist Hotel
Tourist Hotel
#4 of 12 in Argostolion

Been to Museum Hotel George Molfetas? Share your experiences!