All reviewsloire valleypublic roomstennis courtsits charmlovely groundsbeautiful castlemain buildingtwo nightsstayed one nightwine stewarda wonderful staymarble staircasebreadspachateaufrenchfrance
Reviewed August 15, 2007

This was an extremely disappointing experience. The property and the common rooms are beautiful; the guest rooms are a disaster. They are old, rundown, and are not clean. There is absolutely nothing luxurious about the accomodations. I asked to see other rooms and they were as equally gross. This place is completed overrated. The staff is very rude. There are much better choices in this region.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank liketotrvavel43
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We just spent 4 nights at this hotel and while we generally enjoyed our stay, it was by no means a wow! The hotel is located centrally in the Loire valley, but its not terribly easy to get in and out of (its about 20 minutes south of Tours, on the outskirts of the small village of Montbazon. The rooms were nice but not in the best condition. Our beds had brown wool blankets which weren't terribly clean, and on top were what appeared to be mini-duvets that werent even covered.

The staff was polite, but did not go out of their way to assist. When I asked about hot air baloon rides, they handed me a brochure and went on their business. The one computer in the hotel was down the entire time and they didnt appear in a rush to have it repaired. We were almost turned away from the hotel's restaurant since my teenage son had shorts on (thankfully they approved of his shirt). They claimed that this was a 4-star restaurant and dress code was enforced. After I insisted that we had no other clothing in our suitcase they finally relented to "make an exception" and let us in, but put us at a side table. The food was very good, but the experience somewhat dampened.

We subsequently stayed at another hotel of the same chain - the Chateau D'Esclimont near Chartres and had a much better experience. There the rooms were 100 euros less (240 vs. 330), with breakfast included (vs. 21 euros at this hotel). The staff was much more welcoming, and even upgraded our room for free. The restaurant was just as good and dress code wasnt an issue. Clearly a difference between the two establishments...

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank enchantedemma
Reviewed January 31, 2007

Without a doubt THE most overrated establishment in which my wife and I have ever had the misfortune to stay (a view shared by the two relatives with whom we were travelling at the time). The place looks magnificent but don't be fooled by the photographs. The rooms are perfectly comfortable, but the decor has been applied rather like someone trying to "do up" an appartment in a hurry and on the cheap. Service was poor and very slow. Dinner in the restaurant was memorably awful. The only good thing was the entree. All four of us are real foodies, so are undoubtedly critical, but the rest of the meal (everything) was truly poor and the service was unbelievably inattentive and slow. Worse still, when some of our criticisms were voiced to the head waiter he was rude and even personally insulting to my Danish brother-in-law. I would go so far as to say that this hotel is all show and no substance - avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank NoPresumptions
Reviewed December 31, 2006

I booked that hotel for my husband for Christmas for one night and two nights at another chateau. We extended our stay to 3 nights at Chateau 'Artigny and cancelled the other reservation! It is a beautiful Hotel. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The service is outstanding. They upgraded our room due to availability. And we didn't even ask for it. That was extremely nice!!We were shown to our room personally and our bags were brought up. All of course in fast time! We ordered room service the first night and although the prices are extremely high, the quality was outstanding. We enjoyed our stay tremendously and everytime we had a question the staff was there to help us! The Hotel is a great location to start Daytrips to the Loire Castles. Everything is within a 25 mile radius. The city of Tours ( beautiful) is only approx 8 miles from the Chateau! The only thing that I was a bit dissapointed about the Hotel is the Breakfast. We ate there only once during our stay and we expected more for 21 Euros per Person. The variety is not that great! I would eat breakfast on the road somewhere, that's the only negative I have to say about the hotel. Otherwise- SPLENDID!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank zemo03
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Just back from a 3-day stay in the Loire Valley and really enjoyed our journey over there.

+ : Very nice (and especially quiet) room, furnished fitness, really good restaurant, very helpful frontdesk.

- : the hotel would need to be a little "refreshed", especially the carpets and paintings.

Overall, good value for the money!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple