“Great Company”

Surf Lesson on Praia de Carcavelos
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Carcavelos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Carcavelos Surf School came in 2001, with the first school of surf on the beach in Carcavelos. Teachers are experienced and accredited by the Portuguese Surfing Federation. The school has facilities that are appropriate to students' needs (clothing, hygiene) and a wide range of boards and suits of neoprene. The classes are for students of all ages and different levels.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Company”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Trip to Lisbon was about seeing the city and having a surf. Booked surfing with another company. Tuesday morning came and went and I was still sitting outside my accommodation waiting to be picked up. I contacted them by email. I went about looking around the city as I didn't want to waste the day completely. After arriving back to my room and checking, found that unforeseen problem had arisen. They had given me the contact for Carcavelos Surf school.
I sent an email to Carcavelos around 8 pm. I received an email back from Pedro within 15 min. There was a placing for me for a surf in the afternoon class. I was stoked as a few other schools were booked or not even going out due to possible weather conditions.
I organised to go for the surf and required directions as I was staying in city centre. Directions arrived and I was set for next day of surfing.
Wednesday arrived I followed directions and they were spot on. I was feeling good by this stage. Had a quick bite to eat in cafe next door to school. Arrived at school and was greeted by Hugo. Introductions over he suited me up and we were ready to surf.
Went through warm ups and basic surf techniques with a breeze. Teaching and English was excellent. We then hit the water and had a great time. Coaching tips while out there helped me enjoy my time in the surf. Will definitely head back to Carcavelos surf school with a few others next time.
Thanks for the great few hours of surf Pedro and Hugo it completed my Lisbon trip. I am still smiling now at home in Ireland.

1 Thank Jez-aus
Pedro E, Gerente at Carcavelos Surf School, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your comment.

We are glad to hear that you liked our school.

We waited for you for next trip.

Aloha!

Sofia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A definite return is in order!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had never written a review but this time I just had to. It was my second surf trip to Portugal but first to Carcavelos. My expectations were surpassed. The school has two centers, one in Carcavelos beach and another in Costa da Caparica so you will always have an option in case there are no waves in one beach you can go to the other. Ran by The Pedros (the two owners are called Pedro Elias and Pedro Soares) they make sure not only that you learn and enjoy the surfing safely but also that your stay in Portugal is a pleasant one helping with any kind of issue and giving great advice and suggestions on where to eat, what to visit, etc.

The location of the surf school in Carcavelos cannot be any better. There are a few train stations on walking distance (I used mostly Santo Amaro) where you have easy commuting to several great villages like Cascais and to Lisbon which is not more than 20kms away, nice restaurants by the beach, supermarkets, pharmacies, shops and so on.

The Pedros are great at handling groups of adults but what really impressed me is how good they were with kids, especially Pedro Elias who has all the tricks to keep kids in line while having fun. So if you have kids and would like to do a surf trip with them this is definitely the place.

Both Pedros are experienced surfers, they make sure you get the basics giving you a good dose of theory but more emphasis on the practice. Organized, punctual and professional but at the same time the guys are good to talk to and show so much humbleness and kindness that you end up feeling you have known them forever.

As I mentioned at the beginning of my review I had never written anything here before but my experience was just too good not to say anything. I would recommend Carcavelos Surf School as a definite must when visiting Portugal. Thanks Pedro and Elias for the great surf and for the great time and see you again very soon!

Igmar

Visited September 2012
3 Thank oniblast
Hello Igmar,

Thanks for your compliments and we do appreciate your time because you're a nice guy.

We wait for you next summer!

Thanks,

Aloha!
N. ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I will be back next year!”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

What can I say? I absolutely loved my two weeks in the Carcavelos Surf School learning how to surf with Pedro and the other teachers. It is not just that I can surf now but also all the good friends I´ve made.

Probably the highlight of my summer holiday, I have to be back next year!!

Visited July 2012
3 Thank pedroSantolas
Pedro E, Gerente at Carcavelos Surf School, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Hello Pedro,

We waited for you for next season,

Thanks for your comment.

aloha!
Moscow, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“It is time to surf. It is surfing time!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

These are the favorite words by Pedro Elias he usually starts any session with and which gave me a lot of inspiration during my vacation week in August and make me smile every time I recall them now. I have really enjoyed surfing classes with Carcavelos School at their campus in Costa Da Caparica. The atmosphere is great, Pedro (the owner) is a real pro both in terms of surfing skills and teaching and a simply nice person to deal with. Hugu (our instructor) also contributed a lot to surfing and made it an unforgettable experience. It is a very nice location too as the waves brake quite far from the beach and you have a lot of spаce to practice take off. The school is located by a very stylish lounge restaurant where you can have lunch and rest between the sessions. I would definitely love to go back to improve my skills with Carcavelos Surf School.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank IrineF
Hello Irine,

We are glad that you liked to learn and surf with us. Would like that you went back next year.

Good waves!

Alohaaaaaaaaaaa
Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Have fun and learn surfing @ Carcavelos Surf School”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I’ve spent one week in Carcavelus Surf School and it’s the second time I choose this school and Lisbon as surf destination. It’s fun, friendly and above all you really learn surfing!
I had the best surf monitors and I met new and funny people. It has been such an enriching experience and all this thanks to Carcavelus Surf School team.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Calin-Ion
Hello Calin,

Great surf days you spent with us in Carcavelos and Costa da Caparica.

We'll be waiting for the next fun experience!

Regards,