“Good but old!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Carcavelos
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Good but old!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for about a week. It was a nice stay, the staff were really helpful and provided me with everything I asked for, the view was great and the free wired internet option was amazing! Breakfast was good enough and had a decent selection for a 1 day trip but with the same food was served almost everyday. The hotel has a mall right next to it with a supermarket making it perfect for buying any supplies you may need- great utility! As for the disadvantages, they really put the hotel down. First of all, the hotel is way too old! The cupboards and doors are stained and squeaky. The toilet doesn't have a lock and the door knob was coming off in my room! The room didn't have a tea-making set and when I asked for one, I just got a kettle. Without a cup, tea or sugar. The room door didn't have a proper lock, the lock could be opened just by casually opening the door- which is useless! The lunch and dinner was disappointing. You had to order food from a non-existing English menu and then wait more than an hour for your food. Only on certain nights did the restaurant provide a buffet lunch, making it unreliable. Using the hotels amenities costed extra money! Extra money for the swimming pool, extra money for the spa... A separate company operates them for some reason and decides to charge people money for them?

Anyway, all that being said, everything the hotel CAN do, in terms of service, utility and all was great, deserving of it's 4 stars, however, the actual building, rooms and furniture take this hotel down to a very good 3 star hotel. Hopefully it gets renovated soon. It desperately needs it.

Room Tip: Check your room before accepting it. Some rooms have good bathroom and furniture whole others have b...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ohsah
Riviera-Carcavelos, Guest relations at Riviera Hotel Carcavelos, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Sir,
Thank you so much for your comments, we are always thriving to improve and your opinion deserved our best attention.
Your reflections are important since we shall pass them on to our staff in order to improve service attitude. Regarding the tea facilities we are afraid to say that we do not offer this service nor do we promote it.
We do thank you for sharing your views with us and hope to have the opportunity to be able to welcome you back at a future occasion,
Guest relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014

As a 4* hotel in wealthy coastal area of the Lisbon suburbs, I was expecting better.

On arrival all seemed well - good location, nice looking hotel, nice suite with balcony overlooking the see (about 300 yards away and with houses and in between).

We had booked for 2 nights and were initially impressed with the breakfast which went far beyond the normal continental breakfast offerings and included scrambled and fried eggs, mushrooms, bacon etc. A nice variety of fresh fruits, yogurt, bread and pastries. The coffee was kept in thermos flasks and on both days was warm rather than hot.

Considering that our stay was 26/27 February, the weather was not warm and it was disappopinting to find that the air conditioning units in the room and sitting room worked but were not powerful enough to warm up the large rooms, so we were cold during both nights.

On the second night of our stay, having returned to the hotel at 22:45, tired after a long day’s sightseeing, we found that both the keys to our suite were deactivated. A trip back down to reception where only one person was on duty attending to a guest check in. I was completely ignored for 10/15 minutes. When my turn eventually came and I explained that the keys did not work. I was asked when I was checking out!!!. The keys were re-activated and I was told that they “should work now”. There was no apology for being kept waiting and no apology for the keys not working. (I got the impression that it wasn’t just a fault as they had been kept separate by 2 different people, but that they had been de-activated or only initially activated for 1 night).

We finally got into the room and when I went to open the room safe to retrieve my valuables, the safe would not accept my code. I thought I may have keyed in the wrong number, but the many subsequent attempts told me I had been correct all along.

I telephoned reception to tell them what happened and ask for it to be sorted out. Again no apology whatsoever and very little interest. I was asked if I had anything in the safe and when I answered in the affirmative I was asked if I needed what was inside the safe!! I said I had and I did. I then asked what was going to be done to sort the problem out. I was asked the colour of the safe and I got a reluctant reply that a colleague would come up soon. Half hour went by and no one came. I phoned reception again and asked when was someone coming up to sort out the problem with the safe as I wanted to go to bed.

A colleague was promised again. I asked when the colleague be coming as I wanted to go to bed. Soon was the answer. A few minutes later 'the colleague arrived equipped with a beer opener and another key. He looked at the safe tried to rock it off its moorings and then said that he needed to go and phone the maintenance man and would be back soon. He came back a few minutes later with the code to override my code. The problem was that the overriding code did not work either!. He then phoned the maintenance man from his mobile phone and after establishing that the overriding code did not work he was talked through how to 'break' the safe open. At at 00:25 he left and we were finally able to go to bed! It goes without saying that no hint of apology was offered.

We checked out on the next morning and again no one asked how the stay had been for us or even apologised for the less than perfect stay.

In conclusion, the Hotel is quite acceptable but there is a need for employees to be trained to show more empathy to their guests, after all they are paying for 4STAR Hotel AND service. Would I recommend it to friends? No I wouldn’t. I would suggest they tried somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoBloggs771
London
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a weeks holiday here. Stayed here over New year when the hotel was quiet, staff were extremely helpful and friendly, location is great (sea views and less than 10 min walk to sea and train station. The indoor pool is great with built in jacuzzi. Breakfast buffet was of a very high standard (proper fresh fruit, hot and cold food and great selection of bread, pastries and cakes). The hotel is a tad tired but very very good value and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank happyyogagirl
S. VIttore Olona
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

The hotel building is not bad, but they really don't take care of it!

The floor in my room was full of spots and dirty, I was there in winter with the hotel almost empty and even in this case they are not able to keep it clean. This is really not you would expect from a four stars Hotel

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank robydv
Riviera-Carcavelos, Guest relations at Riviera Hotel Carcavelos, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you so much for your comments and your opinion deserved our best attention,
Regarding your comments, we would like to inform that the hotel strives to control and supervise the cleanliness level on all our guest rooms according to standards. We do see a lack of coordination in delivering fully treated rooms to our guests which were available. We could have improved would we have been informed about it. Certainly we shall do that for future arrivals.
We do thank you for sharing your views with us. It is a pity that you did not use our restaurant or bar or other services where you would have found some positive references of our efforts to serve well.
Guest relations

Travelers are raving about these Carcavelos hotels

New York City, New York, USA
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here for business. Noisy motorcycles outside at night. Heater did not work in rooms of several of our party. Internet advertised as free (fine print says with cable). Wireless is really 15 euros. No coffee or tea service in room. Carpet stained and dirty. Bathroom not the cleanest. Sauna not included. Extra charge to use the refrigerator. Phone did not work in my room. Spa closes early on not open on Sunday.

Room Tip: look elsewhere
2 Thank 278sparky
Riviera-Carcavelos, Guest relations at Riviera Hotel Carcavelos, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Sir,
We did acknowledge your comments and regret your discomfort. We shall look at some points of your comments where we may improve however we would like to point out that we did not get any personal contact which might have helped to improve your stay. We do not publish the offer of tea and coffee facilities in room, the charge for wifi you mention is for seven days, other anomalies could have been sorted out with our reception desk who are eager to support customers’ needs.
We feel sorry that you did not enjoy staying with us while we do receive positive comments from other guests who do enjoy our services.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights on a business trip.

Its a short walk to the beach. The beaches here are pristine and untouched, what a place!
The rooms have balconies so you can sit outside and enjoy the view with a tea/coffee.

Tea making facilities are only supplied upon request. Staff are very helpful.

There is a nice shopping centre in the adjoining building with an amazing sushi place.
The room interior is average, carpets worn, bathroom old, doors bang not silent shutting type, the neighbours were constantly coming and going the 1st night banging the door, but the veiw makes up for it. Ask for a high floor with a seaview.

Also, as this is a fishing village, make sure you shut the galler louvres, or if your a light sleeper like me, you'll hear the dogs barking all night.

Internet is wired. Wi-Fi costs money.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, but with a sea view.
Sandnes, Norway
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The hotel is still modern but a bit coming to ages. Consequently it is more a very good 3 star hotel rather than a 4 star hotel. The rooms and bathrooms are clean and the breakfast plentiful. The hotel has an outdoor pool, a spa and a gym. The latter are only available at working hours during the week. The staff at the reception was very friendly. A small shopping center with restaurants and supermarket is located just next doors. Beach and train station are in range within 10min by foot from the hotel. WiFi in the rooms is only available on charge, but Internet access with a laptop by cable is for free. Cable is available at the reception. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view, preferably on 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Riviera-Carcavelos, Guest relations at Riviera Hotel Carcavelos, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you so much for your comments, we are always thriving to improve and your opinion deserved our best attention,
Regarding your comments, we would like to inform that the hotel has a plan in action to remodel, while we are always committed to provide the best possible service to all our guests,
Guest relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carcavelos
Hotel Cascais Miragem
Hotel Londres
Hotel Londres
#5 of 17 in Estoril
InterContinental Estoril

Been to Riviera Hotel Carcavelos? Share your experiences!