“Excellent Room and Food”

and 1 more site!
The Gun Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Ardersier B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have now been back to the Gun Lodge for 2 years. This year we had a lovely large refurbished bedroom with a very comfortable settee and a very large double bed. The food both breakfast and dinner is cooked to order and excellent - best calamari that I've ever had in th UK! Sheena and all the staff are friendly and helpful and there is a lovely garen area to relax in if the weather is good, which it has been on both our visits. Only 6 miles from Inverness with both buses and taxis. A lovely country hotel and restaurant - if you're staying in the inverness or Nairn area well worth a visit there for lunch or dinner. Well done all and thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms are on the ground floor but upstairs double bedroom we had in 2012 was excellent a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I really enjoyed my short stay here and will definitely go back if I am in that area.The staff were very friendly and attentive. My room was newly refurbished, bright, comfortable and quiet. I liked the sofas in the bar area - good for sinking into with a drink after a busy day walking and sight-seeing. The evening meal was very good and I am sure the cooked breakfast would have been too but I chose to have a light breakfast. If you feel like a bit of exercise there is a really good path right along the bay so you don't have to walk on the pebbles if you don't wish to. Fort George was very interesting and I spent a few hours there. I believe you can often see the dolphins playing about from the ramparts but the day I was there only one could be seen. I also explored some of the lovely places along the coast to the east as they were easily accessible from this hotel. Must stay longer next time!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Gun logde is a very nice place to have dinner and the whole place is a cozy.I didn't stay but it looks like a conforable place. The waiters came to you quickly and they were very friendly.It was quiet.I really enjoyed the food and i would advise you to go there.It was great.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My son had to make a last minute trip south and had to stop overnight before flying on from Inverness. Richard was very helpful when I rang initially to check availability and gave me all the info I would need for buses or taxis from the airport. He assured me they would book my son a taxi for early departure next day and it would all be fine. After confirming flights, etc, I rang back and confirmed the booking and, again, Richard couldn't have been more helpful. My son said that everything was fine when he got there and everything went smoothly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed 3 nights here based on a 3-for-2 offer. This location made for easy access to Scotch distilleries in Speyside. Lovely walk in the evening along the Moray Firth to Fort George.
Food was delicious, with the restaurant being packed every time dinner was served from the local community.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We arrived to a lukewarm welcome. Perhaps I am just used to more enthusiastic welcomes...
Our twin room was a very good size. A major nuisance is; there is no radiator in the bathroom. Add that to single glazed sash windows,and you have a cold bathroom. It was too cold to leave the bathroom door open, as this just made the room feel cold. There is a bed right next to the bathroom door in which I slept... I could feel the cold.
I cannot be sure what it was, but some thing like the sound of a large bin of empties being dragged across the yard woke me up at 4.45am

Another niggle. We had to order our breakfast the night before.
This is frustrating as I just dont know what I want for breakfast unti I get up.
Also, we had to state what time we wanted breakfast. I said 8.30am.
I got up at 8am, was downstairs by 8.15am.... no signs of life.
Went out to the van, got packed up, then saw the restaurant lights come on at 8.20.
Im sure my breakfast would have been fresh, but since Id had a cold night and woke to no signs of life, I just felt discouraged and decided to get on my way to my next job.

Not my best night out.

Im sorry to say, I wouldnt stay there again, nor would I recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GlennGeorge
sheenaskitchen, Owner at The Gun Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for your comments, we are sorry your stay was not enjoyable for you as we pride ourselves in our customer care and make a point of meeting and greeting our guests as you are not only in a hotel but a guest of my house and we like to make thing homely as no doubt you will se in our previous reviews. Room 9 that you were in does not have a window in the bathroom so I dont know why it was cold as this is normally a cosy room. We do realise some of my room windows are only single sash glazed and we are doing our best to upgrade which is reflected in the blind and the thick lined curtains.
I am not sure what the noise was early in the morning, but ther is certainly nothing hotel wise going on at that time, this is a very quiet sleepy village.
We give our guests the choice to pre order breakfast as it is all cooked fresh and if we have guests who are in a rush to get to work it means we can ensure breakfast is ready for them, we ask guests to book a time / table as we treat every booking individually ensuring our best of service. I was through in the hotel kitchen from 7.30 that morning preparing things in the kitchen and did open up the dining room about 8.15 , before you were due at 8.30.
I am sorry you would not stay again but if you had spoken to me or a member of staff we would have been only too pleased to try to put things right.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at The Gun Lodge our last night in Scotland, before flying back home. We had a friendly welcome and a large en-suite room.

Due to the festivities at Fort George, it was a very calm Saturday evening in the pub. But that didn't bother us. The food was just great! We had so much to eat that we shared a dessert.

You can choose your breakfast in the morning: continental or cooked. We were glad to have a simple continental breakfast after a whole week of fully cooked breakfasts.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your positive comments , we are so glad you enjoyed your stay, your meal and your look around the area and if you are back in the area we hope you will visit us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardersier
Holiday Inn Express Inverness
Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Inverness Fairways
Jurys Inn Inverness
Jurys Inn Inverness
#14 of 36 in Inverness
Best Western Plus Inverness Lochardil House Hotel
Glen Mhor Hotel & Apartments

Been to The Gun Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!