“Nice historical museum”

The Highlanders' Museum (Queen's Own Highlanders Collection)
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Ardersier
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Highlanders Museum (Queen's Own Highlanders Collection) is situated within the the stunning grounds of Fort George, Nr Inverness, overlooking the Moray Firth. In the summer months the local dolphin school can be seen from the ramparts. The Museum covers three floors of Fort George's former Lieutenant Governors' House. The museum has roughly 20,000 artifacts and an estimated 10,000 documents and photographs. The museum is the largest regimental museum in Scotland, outside Edinburgh.
Reviewed July 8, 2017

The highlander museum is amazing. It's situated in army grounds that are still in use. It's very informative giving one an amazing inside of the tradition of Highlanders in arms. You can have a walk around the walls as well and if you are lucky get the spot some dolphins..!!!

John B, General Manager at The Highlanders' Museum (Queen's Own Highlanders Collection), responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

Thank you for taking time to give us this excellent feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit. Please spread the word.

All reviews
"centuries"
in 17 reviews
"bunker"

Reviewed July 3, 2017 via mobile

The history in here is amazing. I however found that after the 1st floor that it seemed to be a repeat of the first but in a different year. If you are an army type of person you will love it.

John B, General Manager at The Highlanders' Museum (Queen's Own Highlanders Collection), responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2017

Thank you for you comments. The first floor is a temporary exhibition of the a particular time of the 1st World War. The second floor shows the regiments we look after, the 1st world war (gnereric) and the 2nd world war. Also on the ground floor is the current link to our decendent regiment 4 SCOTs the Highlanders.

Reviewed June 30, 2017

I decided to visit Fort George, because my father was in the Seaforth Highlanders and I was very interested in the place where he was billeted . I was taking up some of my fathers memorabilia . It was a very interesting visit a place steeped in history especially if you have an Army connection. I would definitely go back as this a large part of my fathers life and my families. The senery is beautiful, I stayed in a lovely B & B and walked along the coast just wished I could have gone further. Took lovely photos, sorry I can't post them

John B, General Manager at The Highlanders' Museum (Queen's Own Highlanders Collection), responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2017

Thank you for your feedback, it is important to us that we heed our visitors comments. We are delighted that you were able to see where your father was billeted, Fort George is grand monument and the museum the jewel in the crown.

Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

We used our Explorers Pass to get in for free. That pass is well worth it of you plan to hit 3 or more sites on the Historic Scotland list. This museum within Fort George is small but a valuable addition to the fort that shares a great deal of the history of Scotland.

John B, General Manager at The Highlanders' Museum (Queen's Own Highlanders Collection), responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2017

Thank you for taking time to give this feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your visit to our fine museum.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 13, 2017

Anyone wishing to see he history after the battle of culloden must stop by and visit to understand the continued efforts of the Scottish heriatige

John B, General Manager at The Highlanders' Museum (Queen's Own Highlanders Collection), responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. The Highlanders efforts post Culloden were testament to the courage and bravery of the Highland Warrior.

Travelers who viewed The Highlanders' Museum (Queen's Own Highlanders Collection) also viewed

Ardersier, Inverness
Inverness, Scottish Highlands

Inverness, Scottish Highlands

Been to The Highlanders' Museum (Queen's Own Highlanders Collection)? Share your experiences!