“Overpriced and Dissappointing...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kennicott
Kennicott Glacier Lodge
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Me and my wife stayed in room#2 of Main lodge for 2 nights in July 2013 and found the experience to be less than average.

There were more negatives than the positives for us here...

Rooms: Very small in size....two small size beds ....and just a cold water sink... for approx $200...seriously?? The shared bathroom right across the room had hot water sink... so we felt it to be a cheap act of not providing hot water in the room sink.

Overpriced breakfast, lunch and dinner: Breakfast $15, Lunch $18 and Family style dinners for over $30 per person....being vegetarians price was a deal breaker for us...
We ate pizza right across the lodge at a bus aka pizza joint....$20 great deal!

Only positive is location as it was closer to our glacier hiking activity at St. Elias Alpine Guide office. Also parking of $5 at the footbridge was waived off.

But all in all, a highly overpriced experience and we would blame our travel agent - Alaska Vacation Store to set us up here...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shailesh D
Rich_Kirkwood, Owner at Kennicott Glacier Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for visiting Kennicott Glacier Lodge. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Kennicott Glacier Lodge is a remote, wilderness lodge and because the Main Lodge is a replica of an original mining era building, those rooms are smaller than typical hotel rooms and they have shared bathrooms. All of the rooms in the South Wing are larger and have two queen beds and a private bathroom.

For guests who would like to eat in our dining room, we offer a Room Plus Meals option that includes your room and three meals per person per night. This package saves you 10 to 15% over purchasing meals individually.

It is our goal to ensure that our guests know what to expect during their stay and this year we launched a new website that describes the different types of rooms, the discounted meal plan option, the special package offers, and other important information. We recommend that all of our guests, including guests that book through a travel agent, as you did, read the information in the website. We believe that the more information our guests have before they arrive, the more they will enjoy their visit.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I didn’t stay at the lodge, but I did have lunch. I had an excellent meal for $18 including tip. The food tasted great and the service was friendly and attentive. After eating, I sat there for a few extra minutes just to enjoy the rest of my tea, the soothing music, and savor a great view of an awesome glacier! ….. I regretted not being able to stay. It was my type of accommodations – historic, nostalgic, quiet, and a great view.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank NatParkTravelers
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I recently had the fortunate opportunity to stay at this remote lodge for an extended weekend. We had such a wonderful time that we're now self proclaimed 'ambassadors' telling everyone we know of the need to experience this beautiful area as well as the Kennicott Glacier Lodge. We were so impressed by every aspect of the lodge, from the friendly staff to the incredibly tidy and comfortable rooms. The food deserves a special mention, as not only was it plentiful, but it was extremely tasty! We truly look forward to returning to KGL in the near future.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 37AKGir
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This Lodge is almost at the end of the trail in Kennicott. We stayed in the Annex to have a private bath but would imagine, looking at the overall standard of the Lodge, the cheaper shared bath would be fine. The rooms looked out over the glacier to the mountains beyond & the Kennicott Copper Mine complex was just up the trail. Staff cheerful & friendly & the Family style dining was great. The food itself was excellent & we found the continental breakfast to be adequate but there was hot available. To produce this quality in this isolated place shows real commitment. Not cheap but well recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leyhill
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We "only" had 13 days to spend on our trip to Alaska (in July 2012). So our first intention was to skip Wrangel St. Elias Nationalpark (the largest Nationalpark of the US) from our list. I'm glad that after all we decided to visit it as well: A remote, tranquil place, off the beaten track of most tourists.
One thing is the visit in the Nationalpark itself, which is outstanding. But the best thing you can do is to stay overnight in the park as well (then you have the park almost to yourself). We decided to stay at the Kennicott Glacier Lodge and we did enjoy it: After being on a glacier hike during the day (with Kennicott Wilderness Guides, see my comments there), we enjoyed the evening in the hotel. First we had a drink on the porch outside of our room and then the dinner together with other guests "family style" which means that you share the table with other guests.
The very best of our visit: we had or glacier hike and evening at the hotel on a perfect sunny day = very hard to top.

rooms: we had one in the main lodge with glacier view and with shared bathrooms. Everything clean and comfortable.
food: good-very good
atmosphere: hard to top (unless you expect something new and fancy)
price: yes, it's a bit on the pricier side (but you're very far away from everything. What also means that they have to take a big effort bringing all the things in they need for the guests)
what else: you can almost feel the history
and: we would definitely stay there again if we'd the opportunity

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MaDu13
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We have stayed here overnight before and given the lodge an excellent rating. Outstanding when considering they are able to provide such a quality lodging and dining experience in such a beautiful remote area of the globe.

We also have a cabin in the general area so I spend much of my summer months there. I try to eat lunch at Kennicott at least once a week. This season the sunshine and weather have been phenomenal so I average a little more than that. A couple of weeks ago my brother flew his plane up from the coast and we decided to go up to Kennicott for the family style dinner. Had halibut, excellent.

The reason I am posting this review is that the meals are exceptionally good this season. On nice days I love to go up there and eat lunch out on their deck. This experience offers a world class panoramic view of the Kennicott Glacier and Mount Blackburn, the tallest of the Wrangell Mountains, while eating a memorable lunch

This summer I have tried a number of their lunch selections, all good. But I discovered last Sunday they have Tuna Melt on the menu. I'm a sucker for Tuna Melts, however, this was the best I ever tasted. I also had a cup of their clam chowder that day, it was all sooo good. Unfortunately, I could hardly waddle when finished and skipped dinner that evening.

Room Tip: They offer either standard type hotel rooms with shower/bath or rooms with shared baths. You might b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TeBay
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This lodge is not friendly to handicap persons. This place is not in compliance with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and is unwilling to accommodate mobility impaired people.

I am unable to climb more than one flight of stairs and my mobility impairment was noted on my reservation. The lodge booked me into what amounted to three stories of stairs. When asked to accommodate me with a first floor room, my wife and I were placed in a small substandard room, across from the kitchen and next to the public lounge! To make matters worse, the room did not have a bathroom or shower, which we paid extra for. The bathroom and showers were shared and down the hall from the our room which is a BIG problem for mobility impaired people who may have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Obviously, this put a huge damper on our visit and effectively ruined, what could have and should have been a wonderful and special vacation!!!!

Handicap and disabled people should think twice about booking rooms at the Kennicott Glacier Lodge!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rich_Kirkwood, Owner at Kennicott Glacier Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Mr. Hartley,

You are correct in pointing out that the spectacular Wrangell St. Elias National Park is a remote, wilderness park which can create a challenge for people with limited mobility. To access the Kennicott area, our guests must cross a footbridge over the Kennicott River or fly in a small plane to the McCarthy airstrip, and then ride five miles in a van to the lodge. With proper planning, however, it is possible to enjoy a fantastic visit.

At Kennicott Glacier Lodge, we have five handicap accessible rooms with ensuite bathrooms, and it is essential that they are requested when the reservation is made. When you arrived at the lodge, you were, and we were also, very surprised and disappointed that the travel agent that booked your room had not requested a handicap accessible room for you. And since the only accessible room available, at that time, was in the main lodge, you will receive a refund for the difference in the price of the room. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced.

It is the goal of all of the staff at Kennicott Glacier Lodge to make every guest's stay enjoyable and we will always strive to meet the special requests of our guests.

Been to Kennicott Glacier Lodge? Share your experiences!