“Cory - Kennicott River, Upper Nizina, and McCarthy Creek”

Kennicott Wilderness Guides - Day Trips
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Kennicott
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a small group of dedicated, knowledgeable guides enthusiastic about the beauty and diversity of Wrangell-St.Elias National Park. We offer 1/2 and full day glacier hikes. Beginning to advanced Ice Climbing instruction. Backpacking, mountaineering and more.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Professional, experienced, and knowledgable. This guiding service takes a holistic approach: they explain the natural environment and history of the area, provide technical instruction, and make excellent trip planning decisions. Not only did we feel as though we had a great trip with these guys (Monte and Spencer), but that we came out of it with some great local history and stories. Highly recommend Kennicott Wilderness Guides wether you are planning a day trip or a multi-day expedition. They will completely make every dollar worth it.

1  Thank Chris_DC34
"couple of days"
"bush plane"
"attention to detail"

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I booked a week of bushwacking, scrambling, ski mountaineering and climbing way out in Wrangell-St. Elias with Kennicott Wilderness Guides in August 2013 as part of a seven-week trip around the world. They were very flexible and I already liked them when we talked the options through in various phone calls. When I saw bad weather coming in and realised that I would not have a clue how to get back to civilisation in case anything happened to my guide, I got cold feet and opted for day trips. They were totally cool about it, I spent a great day on the glacier with Betsy, including dangling on a rope inside a moulon. The it was over to Monte and the best thing you can do in Alaska when it rains - packrafting! I did not have any idea what that was until Monte had me training on a glacial lake. The rapids got faster, the rivers got longer and on the third day of rafting I was the first person ever to be guided down a river the name of which I cannot recall. Pretty hard to think of e-mails you did not reply to when you are stabbing the river to stay on top of the waves... There were also days of scrambling way out, extensive use of bush planes, wading through glacial water and the great feeling of knowing that in those pictures covering massive amounts of square miles there is no other human being - guaranteed. Plus, staying in McCarthy for a week, I soon felt like I had never lived anywhere else. Thanks, guys, you were great!

1  Thank TravellingGio
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My wife and I went on a half-day glacier hike with KWG in August 2013. Betsy was our guide and we were the only ones on the hike. All the arrangements were well done, including reservations, fitting on crampons, etc.

The galcier hike was something I had really looked forward to, and my wife had (grudgingly) agreed to go along. She is not very sure-footed, but Betsy helped her along and made her feel safe. OK- I admit it- Betsy had to help me along a few times, too! (We are both in our late 50's)

The scenery was awesome- it was cloudy and that made the blue color in the glacier really stand out. Betsy shared her knowledge of the area, the plants and animals, and just general enthusiasm. We enjoyed the day immensely and would recommend KWG totally!

Thanks, Betsy!!

1  Thank Dennis D
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We went on a half day private Glacier Hike with Jessie from KWG. Everything was great from reserving the hike to going on the hike. The weather wasn't great and we spent the whole time in full waterproofs but that didn't stop our fun. Jessie was knowledgable about the local area, the nature around us, the glacier and the equipment. He fitted us with crampons before leaving and even carried them to the ice for us, along with mats for us to sit on! It is about a 2 mile walk to the glacier and he kept us entertained on the way even with the punishing pace set by our daughters! They were keen to get there and spend as much time as possible on the ice.

Jessie kept us away from the other groups on the ice and showed us all the features we wanted to see and more we didn't know about. A highlight was walking through a big crack in the ice! I would highly recommend this tour and this company. Our half day hike started at 9.30 and finished at 3.00 so was great value for money!

1  Thank mayatree