Ma Johnson's Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in McCarthy
See available hotels
All reviewsacross the streetfine diningthe ownerma johnson'sunique experiencetiny roomone of a kindcouple of nightsopen mic nightno electricityneillobbysaloontownalaskashuttlecharm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed one night in the backpacker's hotel after a couple of nights at a fly-in remote cabin. The hotel room was basic but more than adequate and the showers hot - just what you need after "roughing it". Our only disappointment was the 4 course dinner. By the course descriptions we thought we were in for a culinary treat, but there was simply no flavour to any of the dishes. A white fish was served with cauliflower and raisins which completely overpowered the fish. The salmon was ok but nothing special. The main course pork brisket was an unattractive lump of overcooked gray meat covered in a tasteless white sauce. I couldn't eat mine. I ended up gobbling down the dessert because I was so hungry by that time. Also, the room was icy cold and all of the dishes were barely warm. The only bright spot was the wine pairings - very good recommendations.

Surprisingly, the breakfast buffet the next morning, although a little pricey, was very tasty and we enjoyed the food much more than the previous night's dinner. I commend the efforts, but the overall effect fell flat.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I don't know where else one can find a great historic small town back country Alaska accomadatiion in real outback. Owner and staff are great and service is excellent. While there, you never know when some sort of wildlife will come wandering down through town. Not a place to just drop in and find accomodations but making prior reservations to visit McCarthy and the lodge are well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2011

You have to understand that you will be in one of the more out of the way places in North America and leave all thoughts of the big city and it amenities and expectations behind. You probably aren't going to have a private bath and there is just going to be enough space in your room for the bed. The trade-off is a wonderful staff and an experience you won't find anywhere else. McCarthy-Kennecott is a National Geographic photographers dream assignment.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed at Ma Johnson's for 2 nights at the end of a 120 mile pack rafting trip across Wrangell St. Elias National Park. After traveling cross country from Nabesna to Skolia Pass, I was ready for some rest and good food. The relaxed but competent atmosphere at the hotel and from the owner and staff could not have been better, and I felt that I was staying with friends. The hotel was very clean and well maintained in a historic building, and the shared bathrooms were not an issue. The real surprise was the 15 course tasting menu at their restaurant, which held up to tasting menus I have experienced in San Francisco, New York and New Orleans. The creativity and quality of the meal was really outstanding, quite the surprise in this location. Well done, and highly recomended.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Very historic hotel with lots of cool mining memorabilia that the owner will tell you all about. Our room was tiny - only enough space for a bed - and the bathrooms were shared, but this seemed like more luxury than we should expect in such a remote town. Dinner at the McCarthy Lodge was fantastic: the chef made a four-course meal that specifically catered to my and my wife's dietary restrictions, and the ingredients were all local and creatively prepared.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple