“Fantastic flight & pilot!”

Wrangell Mountain Air - Day Trips
Ranked #3 of 7 things to do in McCarthy
More attraction details
Owner description: Wrangell Mountain Air is based at McCarthy in the heart of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. We offer day trips and 3 scheduled flight daily from Chitina (at the end of the paved road) to McCarthy-Kennicott, flightseeing tours in the best of Wrangell-St. Elias and fly-in backpacking, basecamping and rafting. There are a range of accomodations and activities available at McCarthy-Kennicott so plan on spending a day or two to enjoy the feel of remote Alaskan towns.
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 188 helpful votes
“Fantastic flight & pilot!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I wasn't impressed at first - the owners seemed very uninterested in accepting business. I had tried to go with the other company in town (McCarthy Air Service) that seemed much more excited about flying, but the flight I had hoped for was cancelled by other clients. Myself & another walk-in guest had to push for Wrangell Mountain Air to put us in the air. However, once we we took off, I was highly impressed.

The pilot was friendly, outgoing, and knowledgeable. He asked us what we wanted to see, and customized the flight to meet our needs. The scenery was of course spectacular, and I appreciated his efforts to show us some great areas. 90 minutes wasn't long enough.

Because I had an afternoon activity scheduled with St. Elias Guides, the pilot and owner in the office communicated regularly with SEAG to make sure that my afternoon adventure would still happen, since the flight was delayed. They then took me directly to Kennicott for that activity. I was especially surprised and impressed that they did all this before I had paid anything. I never ended up paying until the evening when I made it back to McCarthy!

Flightseeing in Wrangell St. Elias is less expensive than Denali, and ultimately more rewarding because the scenery is even more spectacular. GO!

2 Thank kevin_from_AKandCO

Monument, Colorado
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Best Way to See the Glaciers”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

If you can make this happen, do it!
We had already done some hiking out of Kennicott Lodge but we wanted to see more of the area. We took the 70 minute flightseeing trip that took us over so many glaciers, I lost count.
Our pilot did a great job of explaining the area and pointing out the various items of interest.

If we get a chance to go back, we'd do this again. Also, using Wrangell Mountain Air for access to day hikes looks like a great idea, too. This National Park is the biggest in the USA with few roads, so air travel is the way to get around.

1 Thank ZaphodTheTraveler
NJ
193 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 573 helpful votes
“Vast Wilderness”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I think the only way to get a grasp of the scope of this wilderness is from the air. It is so very huge, glacier after glacier after glacier, surrounding ice fields, and mountain after mountain after mountain of immense size. We were lucky to catch a full sun day for flying and it was, to use an overused but perfectly appropriate word, awesome! The route taken was comprehensize and instructional and fun. I highly recommend this on a clear day.

Fort Collins, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Must Do!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Absolute MUST do! A flight-seeing tour was recommended to us upon hearing our trip to Wrangell-St. Ellias National Park. While the mining community is wonderful, and something you need to see - the heights we were taken to by Pilot Steve are indescribable. The National Park is massive, and you can only get to a very small portion of the park via vehicle or foot. WMA took us on a trip to see the mountains, valleys and glaciers.

We stopped in to WMA on a whim to see if there was ANY chance we would be able to get a flight. Natalie and Kelly bent over backwards to call in a favor to Pilot Steve on a Sunday to get us up in the air. We were whisked off in a van to the air strip to meet our pilot. The next 35 minutes were indescribable. This was a life changing experience. We saw mountain peaks and valleys, glaciers, glacier moraines in a Cessna with a personal narration, and tailored trip throughout the park.

They are incredibly professional and while this was our first flight-seeing trip, we've just completed our second two days later in Denali. Wrangell Mountain Air is incredible and I can't wait to go back McCarthy to see them again.

Flagstaff, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Safe and Sound”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We flew with Wrangell Mountain Air to the Foot of the Tana Glacier for a wild Class V rivertrip. Don was our pilot who flew us by the toughest section of the river and pointed out water levels and potential conflicts. Although loaded down to the gills Don touched down like a feather, and off he went for more gear and peeps. The plane was in immaculate shape, and one could tell these guys know there stuff. We felt we were in good hands for safety and experienced a super positive attitude from Wrangell Mountain Air. We'll definitely be back next year!

Visited July 2012