Review Highlights
Kennicott Mill Tour---be prepared to climb down steep stairs and ladders, but fun!

The Kennecott Mill Tour was a lot more than I had expected---in a good way! Our guide shared many... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
like_national_parks
los angeles
Kennecott Mill Tour Tour

We took the Kennecott Mill Town tour with St. Elias Alpine Guides. It was excellent tour. The guide... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
1930shanghai
San Francisco, California

All reviews glacier hike ice climbing root glacier copper mine town tour full day tour backpacking trip blue pool power plant hot chocolate great job making sure amazing glacier an adventure top notch crampons half
Selected filters
Reviewed July 19, 2020

I was on the same trip as Ed (see below) and it was simply brilliant. We had started working on our 10 day mountaineering trip into the Wrangell St Elias range since last summer. Anya is an excellent communicator and through calls and much email she made it happen, Covid complications notwithstanding. The attention to detail was astonishing: I had mentioned that we like a little whisky after a hard (or a not so hard) day on the ice. To my great surprise and much joy, Dave, our lead guide pulled out a bottle of single malt in the kitchen tent one evening! And, on top of that, my semi-joking mention of liking African coffee beans ended up as real in our generous French press every morning!! I should also mention the birthday cheese cake for my son's 23rd, the excellent pizza and the incomparable Denali sandwiches! I haven't said anything about our beautiful perch on a stretch of glacier between the Bagley Icefield and the Jefferies Glacier - unexplored, unclimbed, unspoiled - we felt so privileged to be there. Every day was different; we climbed to amazing views of Mt Logan, we practiced self arrest, crevasse rescue, finding buried avalanche transceivers, we ice climbed, rappelled, did lots of French technique (ooh-la-la), and learned the different meanings of High and Low Napoleon - check the SEAG video on Kiwi coils for one meaning. A final word on the sauna we had when we returned to the Power House - THAT'S the way to end a trip!! So thanks to our guides, Dave and Harrison for making the learning and climbing so much fun, and to Anya and Bryan for getting us there! I'll be back, just try and stop me.

Date of experience: June 2020
AlpineAnya, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2020

Stephan,
Thank so much for such a spectacular review!
Your trip meant so much to us, as most of our mountaineering season got cancelled this year due to COVID complications, we were beyond psyched to be able to get you out there!! Not to mention all the significance of you joining us again after all these years, and bringing your son and close friends with you! You got the see the company in its youth and now, about 20 years later - so mature, right?! ;) Having been around for so long has taught us a thing or two about adventures of a lifetime! I hope the pristine, snowy wilderness of the Chugach Mountain will continue to inspire you for years to come!
Can't wait to up the ante on your next visit!!

Reviewed July 16, 2020

I am a 65 year old guy with a bad knee but I did it!!! This is Before I Die bucket list worthy! Shout out to Eli for a very personable and professional experience. He went above and beyond my expectations when he broke out his medical kit to bandage and tape my heels to prevent blisters while we were on the Glacier. He was constantly checking with us to make sure we were comfortable with the pace. Safety was top priority for him. All in all it was one the most fulfilling experiences in my life! P.S. Loved the Hot Chocolate... Your Swiss Miss was quite the hit!

Date of experience: July 2020
AlpineAnya, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2020

Thank you for the great review, we’re honored to be a part of your bucket list worthy trips! We’re so glad Eli was a part of your experience to make it come true, you show that bad knee who’s boss!
If you have any additional feedback feel free to send it our way - info@steliasguides.com

Reviewed July 14, 2020 via mobile

This was my second time interacting with SEAG and I was blown out of the water. We did a full day glacier hike with our 5 and 3yo and had an amazing time! Anna was incredible and impressed me with her confidence and competence!
I’ve seen a few glaciers and Root is by far the most interesting! Take this trip! You won’t regret it!

Date of experience: July 2020

Thank you for the review, we’re so glad you had such a great experience! Anna had an awesome day with you all as well, she is truly in her element on our Root glacier!

Reviewed July 3, 2020

SEAG is a very genuine welcoming crew, with your best interest at heart. I just returned from a 9 day mountaineering trip on a glacier. The care and personal attention by the staff created a lot of confidence that the trip was going to go well, and boy did it. This trip exceeded my expectations. Our guides were experienced, personable, and could teach very well. SEAG offers a variety of excursions and I'd be confident in doing any of them with their guides. The office staff/ owners were very flexible, and creative given all the obstacles of Covid-19, but they were very detailed oriented and safety conscious. Great job guys thank you. ES.

Hey Ed,
We're so happy to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed your adventure with us and felt taken care of every step of the way! We take pride in being experts in what we do and value safety, professionalism and, of course, adventure! We're glad to hear that you noticed :)
I hope your trip inspires you to visit us again and see more of the nation's largest National Park!!
Thank you for the kind words!

Reviewed June 28, 2020

Great experiences. Guides are knowledgeable and super friendly. Supplied all the gear. Day float on the Kennicott River and a day on the Root climbing.

Date of experience: June 2020

Thank you for the review, we’re so glad you enjoyed your trips! What a great way to experience the Wrangells to the fullest :)