Review Highlights
Magnificent day of ice climbing.

I can’t speak highly enough of this company and the experience they provide. We were a group of 5... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2019
wendy w
Melbourne, Australia
Great mine tour

These guys obviously lead a lot of serious hikes, but kudos to them for also doing mine tours... read more

Reviewed October 3, 2019
darwinmoore
Spring, Texas

All reviews glacier hike ice climbing root glacier copper mine st elias full day hike backpacking trip small group blue pool goat great job great guide highlight of our trip an adventure top notch crampons tour
Selected filters
Reviewed September 10, 2019

We had an amazing tour with Rachel touring the mine. If you're wondering if a tour is worth the time and money the answer is YES!!! You go inside from the very top, enjoying views of the entire area. Working your way down, your guide tells you tons of history of the mine operations. Important to note is you get to go in places you can't access with the self guided NPS walking tour.

Date of experience: September 2019
AlpineAnya, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2019

Wow! Thanks for the great review! Rachel will be happy to hear that you enjoyed the history, machinery and the unique access to the 3 buildings that are otherwise closed to the public! Thanks so much for coming on our tour!
If you'd like to leave any further feedback, we are happy to receive it at info@steliasguides.com

Reviewed September 7, 2019

This was my second visit to the Kennicott mine area and it was my most enjoyable and informative visit. My first visit was in late July 1985. I stayed at the Kennicott Glacier Lodge for both my 1985 and 2019 visits, and the lodge and staff were fantastic. Great staff and fantastic breakfast buffet. What made this visit the best was the tour inside of the Kennicott mill completed by Merritt with the St. Elias Alpine Guides. Merritt was informative, friendly, humorous, and knowledgeable. He explained the basic treatment processes to recover the copper and silver. The mill tour is fantastic and not to be passed up. This was great because the Kennicott mill tour was not available during my 1985 visit.

Date of experience: August 2019

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your Historical Mill Tour with Merritt! Like the rest of our professional guides, he's great at bringing history to life and showing our guest what life was really like at the turn of the century in remote Alaska! We are very fortunate to be able to access the buildings of the National Historic Monument - I'm very happy that you got to see and experience this unique place first hand!
If you have any further feedback, we'd love to hear it at info@steliasguides.com

Reviewed September 7, 2019

We took our kids ages 10 and 12 to Wrangell-St.Elias and spent three days with St. Elias Alpine Guides. They were fantastic. We explored glaciers on crampons, did ice climbing, flew to a remote glacial lake and kayaked among ice bergs, and did the very cool Kennicott Mine tour. The whole experience was top notch - skilled guides who like to have fun. Thanks for a great experience!

Date of experience: August 2019

Thank you so much for you joining us for a trip of a lifetime in the Wrangells! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed all your activities. I'd say you packed in as much fun as possible into your three days and did some of our most popular activities, all of which are great for kids!
Thank you also for the review!
As we are always looking to improve, feel free to send any feedback you may have to info@steliasguides.com

Reviewed September 6, 2019

Wonderful time. The Glacier is something special. Our guide Brendan made us feel comfortable and safe. His mix of professional knowledge and friendly banter made our day. 10 out of 10.

Date of experience: September 2019
AlpineAnya, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2019

Thanks Kris! Glad to hear you enjoyed your day out on the Root Glacier! I'm glad to hear you tried your hand at ice climbing and had fun AND felt safe :)
Please let us know if you have any more feedback to share at info@steliasguides.com

Reviewed September 4, 2019

My dad and I booked a day trip to Nizina Lake. We were greeted by our guide Sarah at the airstrip in McCarthy and flew out to the lake. This lake is full of icebergs and is simply one of the most stunning places I have ever been. You are surrounded by towers of crystalline ice that sparkle like diamonds in sun while listening to the sound of water melting off the ice and falling into the lake. The kayaking itself is very adventurous as you have to find your own path through the moving, floating ice and the way back is never the same. Easily one of the best days of my life - will return to Nizina one day.

Date of experience: July 2019
AlpineAnya, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2019

Hi Gala! I'm so happy to hear about your amazing experience out at Nizina Lake! This is also one of my favorite trips we offer and I'm so glad you and your dad could make it happen during your Alaska adventure!
Please let me know if you have any other feedback to share at info@steliasguides.com
We hope to see you again in the Wrangells!!