Review Highlights
Magnificent day of ice climbing.

I can’t speak highly enough of this company and the experience they provide. We were a group of 5... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2019
wendy w
Melbourne, Australia
Great mine tour

These guys obviously lead a lot of serious hikes, but kudos to them for also doing mine tours... read more

Reviewed October 3, 2019
darwinmoore
Spring, Texas

All reviews glacier hike ice climbing root glacier copper mine st elias full day hike backpacking trip small group blue pool goat great job great guide highlight of our trip an adventure top notch crampons tour
Selected filters
Reviewed September 6, 2019

Wonderful time. The Glacier is something special. Our guide Brendan made us feel comfortable and safe. His mix of professional knowledge and friendly banter made our day. 10 out of 10.

Date of experience: September 2019
AlpineAnya, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2019

Thanks Kris! Glad to hear you enjoyed your day out on the Root Glacier! I'm glad to hear you tried your hand at ice climbing and had fun AND felt safe :)
Please let us know if you have any more feedback to share at info@steliasguides.com

Reviewed September 4, 2019

My dad and I booked a day trip to Nizina Lake. We were greeted by our guide Sarah at the airstrip in McCarthy and flew out to the lake. This lake is full of icebergs and is simply one of the most stunning places I have ever been. You are surrounded by towers of crystalline ice that sparkle like diamonds in sun while listening to the sound of water melting off the ice and falling into the lake. The kayaking itself is very adventurous as you have to find your own path through the moving, floating ice and the way back is never the same. Easily one of the best days of my life - will return to Nizina one day.

Date of experience: July 2019
AlpineAnya, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2019

Hi Gala! I'm so happy to hear about your amazing experience out at Nizina Lake! This is also one of my favorite trips we offer and I'm so glad you and your dad could make it happen during your Alaska adventure!
Please let me know if you have any other feedback to share at info@steliasguides.com
We hope to see you again in the Wrangells!!

Reviewed September 4, 2019

Party of 4, we hired a private Glacier tour. About $175 per person and worth the little extra spend. Great service, excellent experience and amazing views on the glacier as well as around. Our instructor took us to many exciting spots and was flexible to accommodate our timelines and request. Great service all around from St. Elias Alpine Guide

Date of experience: August 2019

Thank you so much, Eyal, for taking the time to post a review! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time on the glacier and the service our staff provided for you!
Hope to see you again in the Wrangells sometime!
If you'd like to leave any further feedback, please do so at info@steliasguides.com
Thanks again!

Reviewed September 2, 2019

My husband and I recently spend an amazing day with St. Elias Alpine guides while in Kennicott. Due to a wind storm, we missed our scheduled mill tour. We had a full day private ice hike scheduled the next day and I asked if we could possibly do earlier in case we could squeeze in the tour afterwards and they were able to accommodate.

Our guide Hannah, came in an hour early for our private tour. We originally scheduled the private tour as we only had one day for an ice tour and wanted to go to the ice caves, which usually require two days hiking with them unless you get a private tour. Sadly, about two weeks before, we were told that the ice caves were no longer safe to penetrate and they offered to put us in a regular all day hike and refund the money for our tour, but we decided to just keep it private. I am so glad we did! Hannah was a great guide and she said we covered way more ice than we would have been able to in a group tour as we moved pretty quickly.

We were out during a pretty bad windstorm (the one that cancelled our flight) and conditions were a little brutal out there at times. We had to squat into the ice many times to keep from being blown over. Unfortunately, one gust got Hannah as we were ascending a hill and blew her right down the hill, banging her up and tearing her pants. She was such a good sport. I made her a little first aid wrap and we soldiered on. She pointed out so many features of the ice and knew a lot about the rocks/geology/ecology which we really enjoyed learning about. We found some neat spots on the ice she hadn't yet discovered which was cool (moulins and a very large blue arch). We saw a few cave entrances at least, but were still disappointed we couldn't go as this was our main goal for our Alaska trip....just means we will have to return! Hannah was a blast to spend the day with.

We made it back just in time to do the mill tour. Our tour was with Katrina who had such a good personality. Really enjoyed learning all about the town and the mill operations. Also refreshing to not have everyone be a global warming nut and present alternative explanations for retreating glaciers.

We really had an exceptional day with the guides and will definitely use them again if we get to make another trip out here. We made some wonderful memories and will never forget it. That time on the ice was just amazing.

Date of experience: August 2019

Wow! Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
That windstorm definitely threw a wrench in most people's travel plans and I am happy to hear that you and your husband chose to brave the wind on the glacier - it was such a clear day!!
Hannah's knee has since recovered and she's been adventuring on and off the ice in full form.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the Wrangells!

Reviewed August 27, 2019

I enjoyed 2 awesome tours with the St Elias Alpine Guides last weekend. My guides Zoe & Peter were very knowledgeable, fun & made everyone feel safe! They knew their way around & showed us the most beautiful places! Definitely worth it to explore the area with a guide!

Date of experience: August 2019

Thank you for joining us on two of our most popular activities! You got to see the glacier from two different perspectives! Glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us!