Review Highlights
Magnificent day of ice climbing.

I can’t speak highly enough of this company and the experience they provide. We were a group of 5... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2019
wendy w
Melbourne, Australia
Great mine tour

These guys obviously lead a lot of serious hikes, but kudos to them for also doing mine tours... read more

Reviewed October 3, 2019
darwinmoore
Spring, Texas

All reviews glacier hike ice climbing root glacier copper mine st elias full day hike backpacking trip small group blue pool goat great job great guide highlight of our trip an adventure top notch crampons tour
Selected filters
Reviewed August 23, 2019

It was raining so my wife and I decided to do the Kennicott Mill Tour. We had traveled to Wrangle-St Elias and were staying 3 nights at the Currant Ridge Cabins outside of McCarthy (*****). St Elias Alpine Guides has the contract with the National Park Service to offer the tour. Our guide was terrific! He gave detailed information on all aspects of the mining operation and mill which has been stabilized but not restored. This actually made for a much more interesting tour as you got to see and almost feel what it must have been like to work in this ungodly place with water and sludge everywhere and noise like you can't imagine. It was fascinating and a perfect adventure for a drizzling day. Well worth the price!

Date of experience: July 2019
AlpineAnya, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your History Tour of Kennecott with us. I love that feeling of "history coming to life" and I think you experienced it too!
Please let us know if you have any other feedback at info@steliasguides.com
Thanks again!

Reviewed August 14, 2019

Just returned from an 8 day backpacking trip in the backcountry. Brendan, Anya and Bryce were our guides and we loved them all! The trip was so much fun! We were a group of 8 clients, from various backgrounds and ages and I think everybody liked this adventure as much as I did. The guides were very well organized, relaxed, helpful, funny (very important) and eager to share the beauty of this incredible park. Food was delicious and also original. Keeping your taste buds wanting more! If anybody needed help with some challenging terrain, they were very patient and encouraging!
What else can I say? Fully recommend them!

Date of experience: August 2019

Hey Cristina,
Thanks for the review! What an amazing trip - the views, the sun and the company!
Let me know when you are ready for your next epic Wrangells adventure, hopefully with your daughter too! I already have some ideas for what you and Steve might enjoy :)

Reviewed August 9, 2019 via mobile

We just got back from a 4 day backpacking trip with St Elias. I would say the staff is great but there is definitely some room for improvement on the managements end. We have been planning this trip with St Elias for over 2 years, when we arrived we weren’t directed on where to go or received any type of proper introduction or welcome. We spent nearly $7,000 on this trip and didn’t feel as though the money was well spent, we have worked with other companies that do backpacking and this one is lacking professionalism. Our trip was originally scheduled to be a 5 day backing trip on the goat trail and was changed due to weather and the pilot not being able fly out(we completely understand this is out of everyone’s control), the schedule was changed to a glacier trip. I specifically asked if what I brought for the trip would be warm enough and had everything I needed for this new unexpected trip and was told I would be completely fine. We were not aware we would be sleeping on a glacier until we stepped foot on the glacier we called home for the night- it was freezing, to say the least. We were not packed warm enough for this kind of weather, one of the ladies on the trip only brought a thin pad and had to stuff her cotton clothes underneath the pad to try and keep her body warm from the ice directly below us and the cold winds. We were a little shocked the guide never checked up on us to make sure we were doing ok and staying warm enough. On the other hand the guide did work very hard to make sure we were going in the right direction and even stopped the group to wait so he could make sure we were able to cross difficult terrain without having to backtrack. It was also nice there was plenty of food, we were very concerned considering how hungry my boyfriend was on his last backpacking adventure with a different company- my only complaint was the food not being very good, we only had one dinner that had any kind of meat. The remaining meals were all carbs without much nutrients and made you feel pretty crappy. I was also a little turned off by there guide headquarters, this is where the guides stay- it looks like an abandoned building that has exposed walls and major flooding issues. We came to this building to show the guide everything we have packed in our backpacks as well as to grab the treats you would like to take along with you(we enjoyed the variety of treats they offer). If the guides are happy to stay here that is completely fine on them however, this isn’t a place I would show to customers. We never felt welcome there or that we belonged, we even walked past one of the owners- no smile or a thank you. Little things such as greeting your guests and thanking them for taking the time to come out, goes a very long way. To wrap it up, unfortunately we wouldn’t go with St Elias again.

Date of experience: August 2019
2  Thank brynnmaj
AlpineAnya, Owner at St. Elias Alpine Guides, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with St. Elias Alpine Guides. We take all feedback very seriously so please know that your input will be used to help coach and guide our staff. That being said, the fact you did not receive the outstanding service we strive to provide is unacceptable on our part. We hoped you would have had the experience of a lifetime in the Wrangells regardless of the weather and enjoyed the rustic feel of the Powerhouse in McCarthy. I sincerely apologize that your experience was less than stellar on your recent trip. We genuinely appreciate your review and please email Anya at anya@steliasguides.com if you would like to discuss your experience further. Thank you again for the constructive feedback.

Reviewed August 8, 2019

Spent a week on the river with Sarah, Robin, Haley and Lindsay. They were very knowledgeable about the area, served excellent meals, and made sure we all had a great time. Wish we could have spent two weeks on the river with them!

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed August 6, 2019

What an incredible experience and guide company. From the moment I reached out they were knowledgeable and friendly. They did a great job of listening to the experience that we were looking for and confirmed the best options for us. Great service and communication was just right in getting ready for the trip. Once in McCarthy the experience was top notch. Helping us get ready, shaking down the gear and taking care of all the details, our guide was incredible. Even with some weather in the area that caused our flight to get delayed by low clouds, we were informed and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The 3 days out at the glacier lake were breathtaking. Literally almost no words to describe the beauty and immersive experience of kayaking around icebergs at the toe of the glacier and hiking on the nearby morraines. This guide service is top notch - professional, low-key, prepared, and they know their stuff!

Date of experience: June 2019