“Awesome Full Day Experience!”

St. Elias Alpine Guides
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in McCarthy
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore Alaska's largest national park with the local experts, based in Wrangell-St. Elias since 1978. We offer half and full-day glacier hikes, ice-climbing, alpine hikes, fly-in hikes and rafting. We also feature wilderness adventures such as trekking, backpacking, rafting, skiing and mountaineering courses & expeditions. Our professional, personable guides love to share their in-depth knowledge of this magnificent wilderness!
Saint Petersburg
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Awesome Full Day Experience!”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We took the full-day Root Glacier hike on June 18th, 2012 and had Rachel as our guide. We had a small group (5 people including the guide) and were able to do ALOT of exploring on the glacier. We had excellent weather and saw rivers, moulins, blue pools, waterfalls and incredible ice caves, all on the glacier itself. Ate lunch next to a large blue pool while another group set up to ice climb the wall next to the pool. Made it across the glacier to Donaho falls, which was incredible. Stopped there and Rachel made us hot chocolate and tea! This is truly a full day trip, and you get the full day out on the glacier. Rachel was an excellent guide - knowledgeable about geology, glaciers and the local area, safety-conscious, and fun. You could tell she genuinely enjoyed what she was doing, and that rubbed off on the group. If you have only one day in McCarthy/Kennicott or Chitina, drive the road or fly in and do a trip with St. Elias Alpine Guides!

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Kelly T

“Hiking the Goat Trail”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I spent 10 days with the St. Elias Alpine Guides crew, 2 days at home base in Mcarthy, Ak and 8 days trekking the Goat Trail and surrounding area. We opted for a guided trip so, with Matt, our guide, the three of us piled into the bush plane and flew to our starting point. Weather was typical Alaska minute-by-minute clear, fog, drizzle and downpour. The scenery was breathtaking. The experience was beyond superb. Our guide was expert docent, cook, nurse, teller of camp tales and coach...never been so pampered or had so much fun. We have priorities in the lower 48 but if we could talk Gaia and Wayne into tolerating a couple overaged dirtbaggers we will be back!
Mark Laube & Anne Collette

Melbourne
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Root Glacier”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We took the Root Glacier hike and tour of the historical Kennecott Copper mines with St Elias Alpine Guide, our guide was friendly and knowledgable and took care to ensure we were safe at all times.
The hike started with a 15 minute walk to the edge of the glacier where we sat down to learn how to put on our crampons and walk on glaciers. Walking on crampons was easier than I thought, and although walking on the glacier was more strenuous than walking on a trail there was no real dangerous bits, we got to look down into holes in the glacier were water had drilled down into the ice to the ground 500ft below (very cool) and had lunch by a glacier stream (pack your own), and got to taste running melted glacier water.
Such a peaceful feeling to be out there where all you can see is blue ice and all you can here is the sound of crampons on ice.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank PopOle19
Somerville, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Among one of the best trips I've taken....”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

The trip my friend and I took with St. Elias Alpine Guides was among our best. The S.E.A.G. team did a fantastic job every step of the way, from helping us select a route and pack to arranging our transportation there and back; everything went without a hitch.

Also, I would be remiss if I did not convey my highest praise for our guide, Nathan. This was my first time backpacking with a guide, and I think I speak for both my friend and I when I say we couldn't have imagined a more good-natured or competent one. We were apprehensive about spending a week in the backcountry with a stranger, but Nathan was no stranger for long, and his presence made our experience all the better. He was observant and attentive in a way that is as difficult to characterize as it is to overlook.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank jmpavel
Auckland, New Zealand
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Exceptional value, knowledge, personality & care”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The date of the visit above is incorrect as there isn't an option to do a long overdue & well deserved late review.
In 2007 had a one day fly in trip from Chitina plus a day hike on the Root Glacier with SEAG; which was one of my top 5 days in the mountains in my life. Returned the following day on the shuttle bus and took the guided tour of Kennecott mine buildings, again with SEAG. Exceptional guides both days.
Returning in August 2012 to do day hikes to the Bonanza & Jumbo mines again with SEAG.
Great service, great value for money and the best mountain air you can give your lungs & the best views to feast your eyes on.

Visited August 2011