“Exciting, exhilarating and a wonderful plane landing on the sandbar”

Copper Oar Rafting Day Trip
Ranked #5 of 7 things to do in McCarthy
More attraction details
Owner description: Copper Oar has been offering wilderness rafting and multi-sport adventures in Alaska’s largest national park, Wrangell-St. Elias, for over 20 years. Our one-day "raft and flightsee" trip features spectacular views, fun class II-III rapids, the magnificent Nizina Canyon, and a stunning bush plane flight from the river's edge back to McCarthy. We also offer multi-day wilderness adventures and multi-sport package trips. Copper Oar specializes in professional, personable guides, an in-depth knowledge of the local human and natural history, great food, and creating adventures of a lifetime!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Exciting, exhilarating and a wonderful plane landing on the sandbar”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

We loved the raft trip through the beautiful canyon and then to see the plane land on a sandbar was very exciting!!!!

“excellent rafting experience”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I spend our honeymoon in Alaska. One of the highlights was our rafting trip organized by Copper Oar and St Elias Alpine guides. I prepared everything from abroad (we live in the netherlands) but al was arranged perfectly. The ambiance is laid back but you always feel you are guided by professionals. I even got to peddle a bit. The lunch and the flight back were the cherries on top.

Visited July 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

GaiaM, Owner at Copper Oar Rafting Day Trip, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Hello Vanhorzen,
Thanks for the great review and we're so glad you had a great time with us. We take pride in being able to coordinate great trips for anyone, anywhere in the world, so we're glad it was so easy for you.
We also always let our guests try their hands at the oars (if they want to) during the calmer stretches of the river, which is often a highlight, even if the raft ends up going in circles!
We hope to see you back to Alaska in the future.
Gaia & the Copper Oar Team
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“What a day!”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our rafting trip out of McCarthy could not have been better. Great people, great equipment, and a wonderful meal! Our guides were the best.

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Alaskan adventure”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Copper Oar and St Elias Alpine guides organized an amazing trip for us this summer. Six people, all over 60 yrs of age, went glacier walking ( a lot easier than I expected--great crampons), hiking, rafting down the Nezina with Scott and Matt while camping at night on the shore and had great meals produced for us on equipment that was packed and unpacked each day. Copper oar also arranged for us to go with Alex on the Babkin ( 45 foot yacht) on Prince William Sound where we visited a sea lion colony, had porpoises riding the wake, saw whales and sea otters. We anchored off a river where the salmon spawn and kayaked among the salmon and later that evening managed to see a black bear feeding on the salmon. We hiked amongst the amazing scenery and stopped at the base of calving glaciers for more kayaking. Kudos also to the amazing pilots who flew us over the most spectacular scenery ever. This was an unforgettable experience. Thanks to the folks from Copper Oar and St Elias guides.

Visited July 2013
Hello Sheila,
Thanks so much for the great review. Your trip was so much fun to plan and then so great to see you enjoy it so much. You really did it right and we were happy to make it happen for you. I wish I could have gone along personally!
Take care,
Gaia (& your guide Scott and the whole Copper Oar Team)
Dorset, Vermont
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Reluctant Rafter Had a Great Time”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I did the full-day Nizina canyon trip on August 7th, 2013, with guides Scott and Rachel. This was my first time rafting. Doing the trip was a bit of a compromise. My girlfriend loves whitewater kayaking, but I don't, so to ensure that she got some sort of river fix during our Alaska vacation, I booked this trip. She wanted a Class IV trip, but since Class III kicked my butt in a kayak, that was as intense as I was willing to go. This tip was perfect for me. There was enough Class II recovery time in between Class III sections to make this trip enjoyable for me. Class III in an oar raft is a lot more manageable than it is in a kayak.

Copper Oar was a smoothly run operation. They had an office right across from where we stayed at Kennicott Glacier Lodge. A bus picked us up and took us to McCarthy on the morning of the trip. We were outfitted there and then transported to the river. It is clear that Copper Oar coordinates things with the lodges in the area because lodge staff knew Copper Oar's procedures.

The guides were fun and friendly and worked hard to make sure none of us swam in the frigid water. They put on a great lunch, which was included in the price of the trip.

I enjoyed flying out on the bush plane and getting a mini aerial tour of the McCarthy area by Wrangell Mountain Air. Wrangell Mountain Air didn't just transport us; they pointed-out natural and man-made features and spotted wildlife (Moose) for us.

The combination of wilderness rafting and a bush plane flight is the quintessential Alaska experience. The length of the trip (about 18 miles) fit perfectly into our busy schedule, which also included sailing, sea kayaking, and backpacking.

Alaska is expensive with a lot of overpriced activities. Copper Oar offers a great service at a reasonable price. I would highly recommend their tours.

Hello Greg0ry,
Thanks for the review! We really love it that our trips are suitable for all levels and abilities. Fun for river-junkies but still manageable for those new to rafting or unsure about whitewater. Thanks for pointing that out and we're so glad you had a great time.
Gaia & the Copper Oar Team