“Stunning setting....but I think I needed earplugs.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McCarthy
Kennicott River Lodge
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The view is amazing....and the place was pretty clean. I think my mistake was staying in the lodge instead of a cabin. The walls are so thin that you're at the mercy of the others using the kitchen, the bathroom, and the other lodge room. One night was great, but the other night I heard everyone....loud people talking very late in adjacent room, early wakers in the kitchen...
I would stay here again, but go to a cabin. I would also bring a flashlight to get to bathrooms. I didn't think I'd need one since I was at the lodge, but it was really dark out.

Bathrooms were clean.
Chilled out atmosphere.

Room Tip: In a cabin...not lodge.
1  Thank Cdnclan

Reviewed August 25, 2013

If you stay here you're going to wake up, walk out the door, and be staring at a glacier (covered in moraine - but still). The location is beautiful and I felt the rates were reasonable. I stayed in the dormitory/hostel and found the mattresses to be comfortable. You can easily walk to town (15 minutes) or take the shuttle.

A few things to note/expect
- You bring your own sleeping bag/pillow
- There is no electricity in the cabins
- You will need to be comfortable using a pit toilet during the overnight hours 10p-7a
- The kitchen is stocked with all of the cookware/plates you'd need to prepare a meal so bring stuff to cook
- The gas heat in the cabins is delightful - especially given how cold and raw McCarthy is - even in August.
- Brad is such a nice guy as is Jamie. They go out of their way to help you. I got a flat tire while on the property and Jamie personally called over to a guy in town (a town of 35 people) who patch flats and got the guy to work on my tire at 8pm so that I could leave early the next morning.
- There is no wifi on site but if you walk across the bridge into "downtown" McCarthy, you can buy some (satellite?) wifi.

Room Tip: They're all good. Everything looks out onto the glacier with Kennecott in the distance.
3  Thank ectothegecko
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I hate to rave about this place because then next time I go back it will be crowded. Brad and Jamie were awesome help and the cabins all faced their million dollar view of the glacier. great place to hang your hat for the night. Cant wait to go back soon!

1  Thank Andrew P
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The cabins were what we needed. I didn't want to spend a fortune staying at Kennicott Glacier Lodge & wasn't ready to camp with 4 kids (ages 5-10) with my husband. This was a reasonable option. Luckily I had read enough to realize that I needed to bring food since you're far away from anything. We were able to grill out burgers shortly after our arrival. I brought breakfast & lunch stuff & then we ate at McCarthy Lodge one night. The fridge is very small to share with fellow travelers & I had to keep some stuff in a cooler. A group came after our first day & it got pretty crowded in the kitchen. There are 2 bathrooms & 3 showers to share. I didn't have much trouble getting in, but I took that into account when planning to get ready. Brad was very nice. The views were wonderful. We stayed in a cabin & it was nice & quiet. Also no electricity in the cabins. There is heat & a light. It was fine but you can't charge cameras or anything. I took them to the bathroom to charge while I was getting ready in the mornings.

Room Tip: The rooms could get noisy if there's a group there. Cabins are more private.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JeanneBramer
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in July 2013 and loved it. Brad and his employee, Jamie, were so welcoming and helpful and accomodating. Brad even suggested that we stay in a lodge room instead of the cabin we'd originally booked since there was a vacancy, and it would be more convenient to bathroom, kitchen, etc. A spectacular view of the surrounding mountains & glaciers from the front porch and large kitchen window. Large, fully equipped kitchen where you're welcome to prepare meals if you want to save money (bring your own food - virtually nothing available in McCarthy). We loved the funky town of McCarthy, and this lodge was so convenient to the town - just a very short walk to teh footbridge. If we ever return to Alaska, McCarthy and Kennicott River Lodge would be on our must-visit list!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed at the Kennicott River Lodge and Hostel for 3 nights. We had a private cottage that could have slept up to 6 people. It is definitely rustic but the beds were comfortable, the views and attractions were unbeatable if you like the outdoors and being active, and the owner, Brad and his associate, Jamie were very hospitable and helpful. Bring your own food if you plan on staying for more that a day, because there is no grocery store in McCarthy and the lodge has a small stove, fridge and pantry that you can stock with your own stuff. There are a few utensils, plates, cups, etc. but I would recommend bringing paper items with your groceries as it is way easier and who wants to do dishes on vacation anyway?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mamasmurf9
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here in 2012, while visiting McCarthy. It was a fabulous experience. The view is spectacular and I still see it when i close my eyes. I am a NYC lady and I loved being "just close enough" to nature with plumbing and the convenience of the kitchen.. Everything is spotlessly clean. Brad is a most gracious host.

Room Tip: My advise would be to just ask Brad and give him an idea of what works for you. Also, book early to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Kennicott River Lodge? Share your experiences!