“Long stretch of beach” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Santa Clara
“Long stretch of beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

It was a long drive outside of Panama City. Very clean and the food was good. After reading some of the reviews I wasn't sure I had made a good choice. But I was wrong. It was very quiet, but we were not there at the weekend. The beach had no one on it. There was entertainment every night and some of the scheduled pool activities happened. We were in the main building and you could hear the music from the dining room even with the doors and windows closed. There was free wifi in the lobby and dining room. I had never seen vultures before and there were plenty on the beach eating fish from the fisherman if you walk in a southerly direction.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Antonio S, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Mr. Kim C,

We really appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sheraton Bijao on TripAdvisor! It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We feel very good with the fact that you enjoyed your stay with good food and the stillness of the property.

We deeply value your relationship with Sheraton Bijao and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our guests deserve the very best.

If you have any other comments or suggestion feel free to contact us.

We hope to see you in the near future!

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went for a half-week stay with 2 young children. Kids admittedly had a good time, but I really can't say this place was worth my money even as an all-inclusive. Some of the issues include:
1. Safety. There were many unsafe conditions. For instance, at times a service hatch was left opened next to the kiddie pool - with a 10 foot drop to a concrete floor. I never saw anything more than a standard wet floor sign to prevent someone from falling in there, certainly not a lifeguard. Additionally, a high voltage elevator control room was left open. The light was off – no one in there working. I addressed these concerns to Starwood’s corporate office as well as local management who promptly dismissed them. Please watch your kids there!
2. Cleanliness. The outdoor bar areas STUNK like mildew and old beer. The lowest pool was always cloudy. Occasional sewage smell wafting up to the stairs leading to the top of the slide. Rooms were cleaned adequately at least or I would have left.
3. Room. Not up to Sheraton standards. The bed was not a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed. There are few places besides the bed to sit, and I had a “suite” which was little more than two rooms with an adjoining door. The rooms were loud and close to constant lame poolside entertainment that stretches well into the evening.
4. Value. On weekends, the place is full of locals paying far less than you with Groupon specials. Either pay the Groupon rate or don’t go at the Gringo rate.
5. Food. Average. The stinking bars really ruined my appetite too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank foxbat1288
Antonio S, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Mr. foxbat1288

We would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at our Sheraton Bijao. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

Thank you for bring to our attention situations about the safety, cleanliness. You can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

Regarding the rooms,since your visits was a few moth ago, we were in that time, placing the sweet sleeper beds in the rooms, wich are completed in all of our suites.

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced throughout your stay with this situations.

If you have any further suggestion or comments, please let us know.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

It was, by far, the worst travel experience of my life!
From the moment we stepped in, everything was terrible: as soon as we got to the front desk for our check-in, they told us we had to go to the convention center, because they moved the check-in away, so we had to walk there. Then they took us to a desk where we had to listen for 20 minutes an "invitation" to some promotional event they were having. But that is nothing! The worst part was that they wanted us to pay $20 to RSVP. What is that?? You're saying I have to pay to listen to you trying to sale your product? I don't think so!!!
In addition, the guy who was trying to sell us this, was writting with a JW Marriott Panama pen... May be they work at Sheraton but use JW Marriott for vacation?
When they finally set us free, we were starving, so we decided to go to Taboga restaurant, but they said it was closed. We had to go to the pool bar, where you could only find hot dogs, nuggets and that kind of fried food. We asked for the menu (and made ourselfs clear that we were willing to pay), but they said there was no menu. I'm sorry, but why do I have to eat what you want?
It's ok you have your buffet on your all-inclusive, but you MUST have a menu available in case someone doesn't want it (or can't have it, like us, because of a diet)
Then we had to go back to the first restaurant, where we found an extremly poor and greasy buffet.
We asked for the restaurant's manager, and the employees didn't even know who he was... He finally appeared and helped us a little with a semi-decent dish.
We asked for water and they brought us a jar of water (that I didn't know where it came from). We asked for bottled water and... Oh, surprise, they said they didn't have any bottled water and if we wanted some, we had to go to our room and get it ourselfs! That is just offensive!
Then we decided to play some golf. We got to the pro-shop and said we were registered guest and wanted to play, and again, they said we couldn't. Apparently, golf is just for residents. But that is not what Sheraton says on their ads. False advertising?
They finally said they would make an exception (not for free, obviously, but we were fine with it) so they let us play. The golf course was ok (the only thing that was), but you must know there is no nine hole.
We went back to the hotel to relax, got to our room and... humidity smell all over the place. No luxury at all and a remote control that didn't work.
We went to the pool, which is a nice place to look at but a horrible place to be. There was like hundreds of people. It was obvious to us that this All-inclusive plan brings out the worst: people was like eating and drinking everything they can just to get their money back. And that is very uncomfortable for anyone else, like us, who just wanted to rest a little and have some fun.
Nor that day or the next, we got into any of the pools.
We stayed by the beach our entire stay,which is not beautiful, but that is not their fault.
At this point, my friend was still thristy because no one was nice enough to get him a bottle of water.
At night, we tryied to have dinner at Sakura, their japanese restaurant, but they said they were completely booked out. We approached to Los Olivos, and got the same answer.
We were really pissed off and wanted to talk to the General Manager, but nobody called him.
An employee came to us (someone from Security or something like that), but we were still asking for the GM to show up. Nothing!
At the end, a woman named Jennifer approached. She listened to us and was the only Sheraton employee who actually seemed to care about us. That was when, finally, my friend got a bottle of water (like 8pm).
We had dinner and went straight to our room. We took a shower, watch some tv (the only possible channel because, as I said, the remote wasn't working) and we fell asleep. In the middle of the night we woke up because the room was filling with water that came from the bathroom. We didn't even bother to call anyone. If they don't care, we don't care.
The next morning we went down for breakfast. Everywhere we looked there were glasses from the night before... Where is the staff? Why isn't anyone cleaning up that mess?
The buffet was as awful as the day before, and again, no water for my friend to drink.

We spent the morning at the beach far away from drunk people and careless staff, had lunch at the room y went home swearing we will never go back to that terrible place!

Room Tip: Don't come here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Marianelarg
Antonio S, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Mrs. Marianelarg

We really appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sheraton Bijao on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. We understand your discontent for the inconveniences you had.

We are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable. Thanks for bring to our attention situations like the service, foods, rooms, golf and the vacational club. Our departments are aware of your comments and have taken steps to ensure an appropriate solution to what you have mentioned. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniencies you experienced.

Regarding the restaurants, it is important to mention that for our A La Cart restaurants previous reservations are required. That's why maybe there were no tables in the restaurants. Despite this, our staff did everything possible to assist you and remedy your unconformity, offering space in the restaurant without any reservation and taking an especial breakfast request for your friend, knowing that he had an especial diet.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. If you have any other comments o suggestions, please feel free to contact us.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

My 3-day "all inclusive" stay was booked through a travel agency in Panama City. Once I checked in, I could no longer leave it as I wanted. I could not contact the travel agency to cancel or shorten my stay. First night I got a terrible allergy from the food served at the Mediterranean restaurant of the hotel. With the skin rash, i could no longer use any of the spa services. My friend got a severe diarrhea after eating at the Japanese restaurant of the hotel that had to seek medical help. The overall bad energy in the hotel premises and very disappointing food quality easily nullified the efforts of the smiling hotel staff. Most of the buffet food already looked not so appetizing - fruits and vegetables served had very strange and sick looks as if they were picked up where the supermarkets just dumped their spoiled stocks. The cheese and sausage slices were kept in the hot and humid air for hours with any cooling at all, and I guess, they would then be refrigerated after lunch and served again for dinner judging by the deformed slices. I had difficulties to find something edible and less poisonous. Forget about natural juices, there is none. No bottled still water, sparkling water is served in glasses, so you don't see where it is actually coming from. You can have some cheap alcohol, but the good ones are of course not for free, e.g. Grey goose vodka, or rum Zacapa from Guatemala, or the 12 yrs old rum Abuelo made locally (Panama). The beach is very poor: it is very hard pressed sand, when you walk it feels as if you walk on a asphalted street. There are portions of the beach in forn t of the hotel with artificially loosened sand, which may not be such a good idea as it may be contributing to the erosion of the coastal area: the loosened sand is washed out by the ocean waves... Only during my last day, I found towels for the beach in my room.. the previous two days, I had to go to the reception, just to get a towel.. Well I was already checking out, so I never used them.. ;( I used the gym, when I arrived the AC was switched off, and it was very smelly. I wasn't sure whether it was some sort of exotic air-freshener, or something more natural.. I tried to stay positive during this stay, but I just could not, the bad energy in the hotel dominated my body from I stepped into the hotel until I drove out of its parking lot.. Very weird. Next night I drove to another smaller, better and much cheaper place nearby and a better beach, and talked to the hotel people about my experience at the Sheraton. I was told, "we know it, because the manager comes here to eat!"...

Room Tip: They have ocean view rooms which go with even numbers (808, 810, 812, etc), but they can be noisy, b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Erjan2016
Dear Mr. Erjan 2016

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at our Sheraton Bijao. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the overall experience throughout your stay with the food and beverage, with the fitness center and the situation with the towells .We are currently taking steps to ensure an appropriate solution to what you have mentioned.

At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and as I have mentioned before, take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I'll be very honest. The royal decameron which is an average hotel is even better than this one. Great service at the front desk, then you go into your room and its dirty with dirty stained sheets. The hotel is very small with just very few restaurants that serve very bad untasty food. The drinks were worse than food. The bars need serious cleaning, paint and some machines need to be fixed, they were full of masking tape. We stayed one night june the 18th and left on the 19th 2013. Never coming back. I am very dissapointed, I had the feeling this would be a fabulous hotel and it was the worst one i've stayed in, in my entire life.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank mocci86
Dear Mr./Mrs Mocci86,

Thank you for taking the time and giving us your comments on TripAdvisor. We are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

Unfortunately we did not meet your expectation, Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniencies you experienced.
Thanks for bring to our attention situations about the cleanness, the food and the service.

Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address these situations and prevent any future occurrences. We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband, mom, 7 month old daughter and I spent this past weekend at the Sheraton and had a fantastic stay. I was a little skeptical before we left given some of the recent reviews of the hotel but our stay couldn't have been better and I would happily return to the resort again!

As a Starwood gold member we were greeted upon our arrival and checked in extremely quickly. We were also upgraded to connecting, ocean front suites which i swear are bigger than my apartment at home (I highly recommend rooms 4401 - 4404!) We literally had 4 rooms - with 4 bathrooms. While i would agree with some of the comments that the rooms are pretty sparse they are more than adequate for a beachfront hotel and were very clean.

The pool at the hotel was fantastic and even on days when the resort was clearly busy it didn't feel overly crowded and we could always find chairs. The swim up bar was crowded but it wasn't overly hard to get a drink. It's also great for kids as there is the main, deep pool, as well as more shallow pools for younger kids, and a waterslide for some added entertainment. There is definitely something for everyone! In addition, the water temperature was perfect. I'm not sure if the pool is even heated but the water temperature couldn't have been better. On that note - the beach is also great. While the tide gets to rough to swim in the afternoon we spent some time on the beach in the mornings which was fantastic.

The food at the hotel was also pretty good and there was definitely plenty to eat. We enjoyed our dinner at Sakura the most and would highly recommend making a reservation at that restaurant - but even the general buffet was quite good with plenty of options.

Honestly, everything about our stay was great. We set up transportation through the hotel with Aventuras 2000 which was easy, efficient and cheap. The other people at the resort were friendly and nice. And the staff was great - especially considering we don't speak Spanish very well. They were more than accomodating and we didn't really have any issues communicating.

I would highly recommend the Sheraton if you want a relaxing beach vacation at a great, family friendly resort.

Room Tip: Rooms 4401 and 4403 were awesome. They are two room suites (one room with a pull out couch and one...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank jrptravels
Antonio S, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear. Mrs. Purser,

We feel extremely happy to see that you and your family were able to enjoyed our facilities, the food, the service, the rooms. At the same time we are very satisfied knowing that we could meet your expectations.

We hope to see you soon again.

If you have any other comments or suggestion you can feel free to contact us.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Very nice staff, visit Elle at the lobby bar, she is nice and gives you tips about what to do around the hotel. Be smart, reserve dinner in one of the special restaurants, and get some appetizers at the buffet. This way , you will have a great meal. Avoid the rush hours at the buffet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea in the main building
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marcelinho64
Antonio S, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Mr. Marcelinho64

We feel very happy to see that you enjoyed our facilities and drinks. And that you received an excellent treat of our staff.

We hope to have you back soon again!

If you have any other comments or suggestion you can feel free to contact us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Clara
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Hotel Restaurant
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Ho...
#1 of 5 in El Valle de Anton
Hotel Campestre
Hotel Campestre
#2 of 5 in El Valle de Anton
Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!