“Fun Time at Bijao”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santa Clara
Leawood, Kansas
“Fun Time at Bijao”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We recently stayed in this hotel and although for a short time (1 night), overall we had a really good time. I am a Panamanian living in the United States and traveled to Panama to visit my family.

We spent most of our time in the beach and at the pool! The water was calm and around 83 degrees!

The service and staff were really nice, professional and courteous. Being a SPG Platinum for 5+ years, I was treated very nice. My only minor issue is that you can only check in at 3 pm. I was expecting that we would be able to have an earlier check-in due to my status. I would recommend for the hotel to have more staff available at the check-in time.

The rooms were big, cold, clean, and had the great Sheraton beds. The bathrooms were OK, and probably needed a little more attention (i.e. missing towels, etc.). The pools were nice, clean, and the staff was very friendly. The foods at the different restaurants were OK. They did offered different options from meats, salads, etc.

The location is after Rio Mar, and since we were coming from Chiriquí, it was a great stop between our trips from David to Panama City.

Although this hotel is rated a Starwood Category 6, in my opinion it is more of a 3. This hotel is the old Breezes and recently became an all-inclusive Sheraton. You can start to see some areas where it is starting to show that it needs some love. It is definetely not a Starwood Category 6 hotel.

Overall, I give this hotel a 3+ rating. We had a great time, and we will definitely visit it again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 8th florr with an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank E H
Dario G, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for share us your experience, we are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.
We hope to have you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was actually really dissapointed with this hotel, because there is nothing to do besides swimming in the pool, drink and eat (Ropa vieja, rice, salad and chicken) twice a day and the left overs are place in the snack bar. I visit Panama every year and I would recommend you to go to Bocas del Toro, Decameron or San Blas instead. I live in the USA, but Im Panamenian and I can honestly tell you go to others resort in the area that are cheaper and have more to offer for a cheaper price. This is a very expensive hotel that do not offer you much.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Nadia A
Dario G, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time for giving us your comments and suggestions.
We are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable. Our entertainment department and food and beverage department is aware of your comments and have taken steps to ensure an appropriate solutions to what you have mentioned.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniencies you experienced.
If you have any further comments please feel free to discuss them with us.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Clara hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here 8/12/12 and from the moment I checked-in I can't say I've had a worse hotel experience. I also have never written a review but after an hour of being treated like a second class citizen I promised myself that I would follow through with an online review to at least save anyone from wasting their time, money, and having to endure such a terrible experience. Setting foot in this place will be the last thing you will want to do if you are on vacation.

First of all I love Starwood Hotels! They have always been consistent with their excellent service and a world class atmosphere. Being that I was winding down a six week work rotation in Panama I thought it would be nice to treat myself to a Western affiliated hotel that would offer a great experience before I left for Chicago. I was shocked to find that I was seriously mistaken about the quality of service one could expect from the Bijao resort. Undoubtedly I would've been better off staying in a B&B or a Best Western. To be concise the food is disgusting and I will eat just about anything. The service is terrible and that is to be expected in Panama but not at a Starwood Hotel. The experience gave me extreme anxiety and that is the last thing you want as you're trying to relax. Finally, the only consistency I found was that time after time the staff will let you down, or make you go crazy because they all act as if you owe them something. I would have to blame management because they are responsible for hiring, and they should be able to catch the mistakes that were blatantly obvious wherever you look. For anyone working there that reads this...the only people that knew how to treat their guests was the late-night front desk person, and the bar staff.
*I would never stay here again and recommend that people look elsewhere...this place is a definite disaster!

Room Tip: The garden view I had overlooked the front driveway and I had landscape lights shining through my wi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Michael M
Thank you for taking the time for sharing us your comments and suggestions. At Unfortunately, we did not meet your or our own expectations, we are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

We deeply value your relationship with Sheraton Bijao and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our guests deserve the very best. If you have any further comments please feel free to discuss them with us.
Quito
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Location is not the best one the hotel is rather old, the rooms poorly equiped, and the service is average, but the price is of a 5 Start hotel, not recomended from my view point plus you have to travel from Panama city by car for abot 2 hours

Room Tip: Please ask for a room to have ocean view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ROVP
Dario G, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear ROVP
Thank you for taking the time to answer our survey and for giving us your comments and suggestions. At Sheraton Bijao, we take pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your or our own expectations. We understand your discontent for the inconveniences you had. We are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable. Our Hotel is aware of your comments and have taken steps to ensure an appropriate solutions to what you have mentioned and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our guests deserve the very best. If you have any further comments please feel free to discuss them with us.
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I went to the Sheraton Biijao Beach Resort to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We are from the States, but live in South America, so we familiar with both American and Latin culture/ standards. We had a very enjoyable stay at the Sheraton. We rented a car at the Panama City airport (about $44/day with manditory insurance) and made the easy, less than two hour drive over to the Sheraton. The Sheraton does had an airport shuttle that must be booked in advance and costs $35 per person each way. Parking was free and we were greeted by helpful and pleasant bellhops. We checked in without problems and went to our room. We were given wristbands to indicate we were all inclusive patrons. Here is a breakdown of the basics:

ROOMS: We had a room facing the entrance (not the ocean), close to the elevator, the a french balcony. While it was pleasant, it was not at all luxurious. Toiletries and amenities were basic- normal in Latin America, but what you would expect from a three star hotel in the States. There are three buildings- the main building with ocean/pool views, a building that only faces the poor or the neighboring resort, and a final building closest to the ocean with large personal porches. The rooms come with a safe, flat screen tv with good channels, a/c and hot water (not always the case in Panama).

FOOD: The floor directly under the hotel lobby is the main buffet. It is the only choice for breakfast and lunch. The food was very good and well presented. There was a pasta bar, a specialty grill (with daily specials), a hot buffet, cold/fresh buffet, and drink bar. Desserts are presented on a table in e center. There is a full bar to the side. The facility also includes open air seating that looks out to the pools and ocean. Servers wait tables and serve water and alcoholic drinks. The food quality is very good. There is a decent selection, but we noticed that after three days, the food selections started to repeat.

For dinner, there are two specialty restaurants, Los Olivos (Mediterranean) and Saruko (Japanese). Both restaurants were excellent and require a same-day reservation (you can call from your room or go to the front desk starting at 8:30am). We highly recommend the restaurants over the dinner buffet, even for multiple nights. Saruko offers both a sushi and hibachi menu and both are very good.

For snacks- think burgers and hot dogs, the pool side grill is open from lunch time until 5:30.

There is also a 24 hour room service, but there is a $4 per person charge. The menu is decent, but I was not impressed by the food. Skip the ceviche. Room service also only delivers wine or beer, so if you want liquor, you need to go get it yourself from one of the many bars.

BARS: There are bars throughout the resort and we probably had some of the best service here. The bartenders we're very friendly and helpful. Bars are poolside, in the lobby and inbetween the specialty restaurants. Most of them also had expressso machines so specialty coffee drinks were very good. One night my husband and I headed to the Sakuro bar and both bartenders were incredible at presenting us with our next rounds of drinks when we were almost finished with our current drinks.

AMENITIES: The resort is very nice, with nice touched throughout. The pools are great, well kept and there are pool activities at select times. There is Avery nice workout facility with a trainer on staff. I did not visit the spa, but was given a tour of the locker rooms which were nice. There is a kid's club and teenage hang out room. Both seemed very nice and well run. The beach is only so-so. It's very private in that there is hardly anyone enjoying it. Kayaks and other non-motor sports are feel for guest use.

OVERALL: After exploring other parts on Panama, while the Sheraton is a great resort with amazingly friendly staff, I would skip this part of Panama and enjoy the better beaches and nature elsewhere, such as Bocas Del Toro, Boquete and San Blas Islands.

Room Tip: Go with the ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Weatherly H
Dario G, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Climamente

We are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable, thank you for giving us your comments and suggestions we are aware of your comments and have taken steps to ensure an appropriate solutions to what you have mentioned.

We hope have you back soon to to providing you with the highest level of service.

Regards,
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2012

A positive for me might be a negative for you, right? Ok so here is my review:
FYI I am from Central America and I know a bit about other countries and resorts.
This resort is more than 1 hour away from Panama City. Plan you days and trips appropriately.
I don't see the point of paying $$ to go from resort to Panama city to do "duty free" shopping. My suggestion: shopping and sightseeing needs to be done before and/or after spending time at the resorts.

Positive:
Sheraton is not a large resort which makes it an excellent place for families with children. Children are able to be monitored without having to walk a long distance.
The quality of the liquor is good to excellent. Some other resorts in other countries are worse.
The food in the buffet is descent and the cooking staff is able to cater to you request.
There is nothing...nothing around the resort. This is a resort to stay and enjoy the resort. I walked in the beach every morning... delighted to enjoy a quiet walk.
I didn't make the time to spend time at the spa. However, I did a tour and the place was nicely decorated. Prices were average. Guest have free access to Sauna and showers at the spa...again: no one mentioned this but I learned it when I asked for the spa price list.

Negative
The staff is polite but I didn't get service unless I asked for it. Example: at breakfast, no coffe or juice served at my table unless I called the waitress. I got full attention at the moment of service then...MIA service again!
I noticed it was not the case for all the tables...
The rooms are average to small but I know all modern hotels are not offering large rooms unless you want a suit.
NO one informed us that in order to have "only Sushi" at the Japanese restaurant we needed to added the request at the time of reservation! However, my husband's request was accommodated. The sushi is not the best so stick to the Hibachi dinner.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank diazuc
Dario G, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share with us, your comments and suggestions. We take pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction, we are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable. Our food and beverage department is aware of your comments and have taken steps to ensure an appropriate solutions to what you have mentioned. For any further questions or suggestion do not hesitated to contact us.
Central America
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife high school friends had decided to make their yearly get together in this "all-inclusive" hotel, some of them came from the states, I suggested another hotel in the area, unfortunately the other hotel required a minimum stay and cost 40% more. Check in at 4pm, is ridiculous, but we were there a 4 pm, the check-in was fast, an unidentified mix of cold juices' drink was offered and accepted, the valet parked our vehicle without hitting any other car, we are ready for the room; not quite, we are requested to visit a desk were a "gift" is going to be given to every couple. This sounded fishy, faster said than done, my wife wants the "gift", we go to the desk, three guys and a girl, with wide smiles, try to sell us shared properties. After declining the opportunity three times, we got out of there and went to our room. The elevator works OK. The room seems "unfinished", the size is good, the AC works fine, there are free water bottles, hot water in the shower, towels, the toilet works, the flat 32" LCD TV works, the cable works, it has a balcony that looks toward the parking lot (not great but aceptable). Unfortunately the room is unfriendly, makes me feel unwelcome, poor taste (in hotel standards which are not high in general) in the the decor (if any) of the living quarters. We decided to go to the beach, not one "bohio" available, not a chair lounge available, no towels. The hotel has three levels of pools, the first one (in the PB) is for parents and little kids, the second level is for youngsters and some parents, the third level is for the rest. There is at least one human body for every square meter, and of course all the parents that want to mingle with the singles, bring their babies too. There was one young lady breast feeding his baby by the pool. The youngsters also come down to see the girls in tangas. We decided to try our luck with mojitos and "mentiritas" ("little lies" that's how we call the "cuba libre" because Cuba, it's something else, but not "libre"), guess what? no white rum. OK time to go take a shower, rest and get together later for dinner, by the way? why don't we make reservation in one of the two restaurants of the hotel ? No luck, reservations have to be made by 3pm and if you read the beguinning of the review, you know the check-in time is 4pm. At 8pm we decide dinner in the cafeteria. We were surprised because the food in the buffet was good. They offered average white and red chilean wine. The dinning experience was good in general. Breakfast was good, varied, with fresh bread, and fresh made juices, we decided to have Mimosas for the farewell, and got a pretty good chilean sparkling. Good bye to the Sheraton Bijao.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the swimming pools or the sea. If you are not planning to buy property in...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MEDTRAV
Dario G, Gerente at Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your time with us, and for giving us your comments and suggestions. At Sheraton Bijao, we take pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your or our own expectations. We understand your discontent for the inconveniences you had. We are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable. Our food and beverage department is aware of your comments and have taken steps to ensure an appropriate solutions to what you have mentioned. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniencies you experienced. We deeply value your relationship with Sheraton Bijao and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our guests deserve the very best.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Clara
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Hotel Restaurant
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Ho...
#1 of 5 in El Valle de Anton
Hotel Playa Blanca Beach Resort
Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
JW Marriott Panama Golf & Beach Resort
BlueBay Coronado Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!