Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
  • Bar/Lounge
Harborside Hotel(Oxon Hill)
Comfort Inn(Oxon Hill)
4,886 results
All reviewsatrium viewlight showpotomac rivernational pastimebeautiful hotelhuge hotelold town alexandriawater taxiferris wheelold hickory steakhouseattended a conferencegaylord national resortice exhibitdc arearestaurants and shopsfountain showlobby bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 17, 2010

September 2010, Abbey Road on the River

After reading some of these reviews I have been concerned about my upcoming trip at the beginning of Sept. My event is supposed to have a group code that links to the hotel for booking. Trouble is when you try to link it says "the offer is no longer available" yet the event has not happened yet. What they DO have there is their own "package" to book that I do NOT need as it includes tickets and I already have mine. I just want to be able to book the group rate which they have neglected to make available on the website! After all the reviews here booking this over the phone is not something I am very trustworthy of.

Also the "package" they are able to list on their site is higher price than the one with our group rate. Funny to me how they are perfectly capable of having this particular package up for booking but, are not able to have our group code offer from the event website link working.

This is not a good beginning and what with several complaints about double charges, over charges etc...I'm not hopeful.

Perhaps our event planner will NOT use this out of the way and hard to deal with hotel in the future. I am also not impressed at ALL with the very high crime surrounding neighborhood as well as the total lack of amenities such as a drug store or near by SAFE grocery shopping area. I had planned to pick up some items on the way in via a cab or something but, not now. Great, I will be at the mercy of hotel restaurant hours and prices the entire. So much for buying water off site...this is already feeling like a huge rip off to me. Where it not for meeting friends at this event I would never stay in this area. There is NOTHING out there but, a bad neighborhood and this one harbor area with a few high priced restaurants. This is NOT D.C. and the time going and coming from the hotel is wasted from so far out. Thank goodness this is not my first trip to D.C.

If you want to see the sites stay in the Dupont Circle area or somewhere closer in with varied amenities and short travel times as well as decent rates for what you are getting. OH and most of those hotels have websites for which the available codes ALL work.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This is an amazing hotel. However, apparently you cannot earn mileage points when you stay with them. I suggest if you are in the area for a conference or meeting to stay at the Residence Inn because they also include a larger continental breakfast (the breakfast available for my conference was only fruit and doughnuts). I am sure you can earn points by staying at the other hotels that are literally across the street and easy walking. Therefore, if earning points when you are traveling is important to you, stay elsewhere. If it does not matter to you, then staying here is still excellent.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Stayed here recently for a conference. Heard lots of good things, but was let down by the service we actually received; here's why:

During the reservation process months before our arrival, we requested rooms close to another party. Did not have to be connecting rooms, just something on the same floor. When we checked in (it was early I may add) Our room was ready, but we had not been blocked next to the other party as requested. The front desk agent moved a few things around to accommodate us, told us we would have to wait for a pair of close rooms to be cleaned and took both of our cell phone numbers (mine and the other party) to call us when the rooms became available.

Several hours later with no call, the other arty stopped at the front desk and was told " we called you both". Now in the day and age we all know missed calls are logged on cell phones and neither of us had a missed call or a message for that matter.
Well, we went off to our respective rooms. Got a call from the other party to see where we were.....to both of our surprise we were FIVE floors apart, not on the same floor as promised and made to wait for. After calling the front desk and explaining how this situation was not acceptable, we waited another 30 minutes for a bellman to bring us keys and take our luggage to a room on the same floor as the other party.

Our second day of our stay, we never received any housekeeping service to our room. We also encountered other minor problems such as our room safe being locked when we arrived and having to call to have burned out light bulbs replaced in the bathroom. There was also mildew in the grout in the shower. Ironing board once opened could not be closed.

When we checked out, it took the bellman 20 mintues to get our luggage from the room to our waiting and running car, stating how 'busy the elevator was'. More than once I heard an employee tell me "how busy it was" as an excuse for our service shortcomings.

On a positive note, we had a great lunch at Pienza Italian Market Restaurant. But overall, I've gotten better service and had a cleaner room at a Red Roof Inn.

Insult to injury, we did complain and received a lackluster apology. A few days after our departure, someone from management left a message for me to call and when I called the person back, I was transferred to the wrong person by accident. Simple mistake, the names sounded similar. But when the person answered the phone, they were laughing as if being in the middle of another conversation, and ended the call (after not being very helpful or polite) by starting to laugh and go right to where she left off. I won't be calling back, and I won't be staying at The Gaylord again.

1  Thank jobrow68
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The girls and their kids we had a ball. We wanted to get away and be pampered and this place made it happen. The ambiance was wonderful. We live right in Maryland and we needed a change and thought we would check out what we had locally and we were impressed. A place like this right in Oxon Hill, Fort Washington, Maryland. We normally travel out of the state and out of the country for travel but its just as nice staying right near home. I like Baltimore and New as well. This place relaxed us to the utmost and the kids. There were so many things to do. And the restaurants inside the hotel were just as good outside Atleast you didn't have to drive anywhere you were in walking distance. Or you can take the shuttle boat to Mt. Vernon and eat in Virginia and it will bring right back to Maryland. Awesome!. The front desk service was great. And so was the food, people should just enjoy themselves where ever they go. And those who are critical about an area so just check out their own area and right over to their next block and see if you can be critical of anyone elses home. Because being in Maryland I enjoy. I enjoyed the tour boats and the speed boats. There was entertainment over the weekend as well. Walking along the peer was fun too. Walking along the mall visiting the shops was fun too.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Modern, big hotel. Lots of conference guests, but family friendly. Efficient and clean but nothing particularly memorable.
The major "feature" is the location in National Harbor. Well outside of DC. Nothing much to do or see, but totally safe and a rather "gated community" type feeling. There are some surrounding hotels and restaurants but I got the feeling that they know you are captive market so jack the prices up accordingly.
It's about 1 hour to central Washington. I used the NH1 bus and metro from Branch Avenue. There is a hotel shuttle bus to Alexandria metro but it ain't cheap.
Tip: don't get a room facing the central atrium since the muzak is annoying and doesn't shut up until 9 pm or so.
Price: my missus was there on a conference so had our fees paid for her. But I get the impression that it is quite pricey. Odd, given the inconvenient location.
Verdict: aimed at the conference guest or car driver. Also OK if you want to be totally away from the city and don't mind driving everywhere. Not so good if you want to visit Washington or have to rely on public transport, of if you enjoy browsing local shops and restaurants. Mind you, at least the location has kept Starbucks away!!

1  Thank JonRambo