Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
$279
$272
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
The Westin Washington National Harbor(National Harbor)(Great Value!)
$444
Westin.com
$349
  • Breakfast included
$279
  • Pool
Harborside Hotel(Oxon Hill)(Great Value!)
$249
Travelocity
$299
TripAdvisor
4,936 results
All reviewsatrium viewlight showpotomac rivernational pastimebeautiful hotelhuge hotelold town alexandriawater taxiferris wheelold hickory steakhouseattended a conferencegaylord national resortice exhibitdc arearestaurants and shopsfountain showlobby bar
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I arrived for a three night stay for a business leadership conference. It was amazing how well they handled seminars, food service,etc for 800 people. Room was amazing, spacious, and immaculate. Staff was so friendly!
However, I don't know if I would stay there if touring Washington DC,since it was quite a distance from DC ( about 15-20 minutes),and was not any inexpensive transportation to DC. So, staying there and opting for travel back and forth could be expensive for those expecting to tour for a few days.
Gym was nice. I did not see the pool. Nice to walk outside, on the water, and many restaurant options within walking distance of hotel ( beside what was available within the hotel)

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Bring your comfortable walking shoes. Like all Gaylord's, this hotel is BIG, especially if you are attending a conference, don't wear your stilettos, you'll have charlie horse by the time you get home. If you are visiting DC, I think it's too far off the beaten path to get to the Mall and the monuments and all that, especially with kids. BUT if you are that kind of family that doesn't mind "commuting" to the sights, then I would say this is the hotel for you.

A cute little downtown area right outside the hotel has sprouted up, it's very new and has lots of interesting eateries and shopping, which is very nice for a weekend away, it makes a great diversion for that one day you don't want to trek into DC and just want to hang out.

Every Gaylord has an Atrium where they feature an indoor "town" mimicing the style around the hotel. Like in Texas it's the Alamo! So this one has a colonial village where they were setting up for Christmas when I was there. I think if you celebrate Christmas, this would be a great long weekend destination with the kids. The have a Dreamworks theatre here, and they are featuring some sort of Christmas Shrek, expensive but I think it would be super great to have the experience. They were also setting up some sort of Gingerbread making house where you can make some real gingerbread! Looked adorable, I bet it will smell just as good when it's open I think it would be fun, especially since they also have an indoor pool. Just one thing that bothered me is that they are 100% xmas focused without any intention of recognizing the other holidays - Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc..which is a bit narrow-minded, but I have to say the decorations were gorgeous!

I ate at the sports bar - good service but food was just moderate. The fries were great, but the burger was nothing special for the price. It was overdone. The issue with this Gaylord is that I wanted to eat at the Fish restaurant and the Italian restaurant both at off-times, but both were closed! I mean why have all these great restaurants if they don't keep extended hours? That was really upsetting because there was really no place to sit down and eat a proper meal other than the sports bar if you weren't hungry during "open hours". But I did hear if you were lucky enough to eat at the fish restaurant, they give cotton candy for dessert! Sorry I missed that.

The rooms are typical Gaylord - large and renovated, nice and comfy and definitely big enough to hold the family given the bathrooms are big with a separate shower/tub area from the actual area where the sinks are, giving you and the family a lot of room to move around and share the bathroom and have all your stuff on the countertops. There is a lot of storage area and everything was in working order. They offer free Internet and water with the room, it's all on the back of your key what they offer, and if you are commuting to DC, the water is a nice touch. However, ask where your room is facing. I got the conference rate, which meant a room facing a parking lot. If you pay a bit more, you get a room with a small balcony overlooking the atrium, is it worth the money? If you are not there on business, I would pay extra since I would sit on the balcony with my family and hang out and watch the hubbub below, And they do light up the Atrium very nicely, it's super pretty. But I was on business with zero time to take advantage, so if you are there on business, there's no point.

You are not going to get this big of a room in any hotel in or around DC, so if you have a larger family and/or if you are willing to commute to DC to do the family vacationi "thing", this would be a great place for you to stay.

I noticed they have a spa called the Belache Spa. It looked decadent and something I would have loved to try, but I didn't have time. I know the Gaylord spas in all their hotels have good reputations, so I am sure this one is good too, I know it looked enticing and so did their menu of services!

All in all like all Gaylords, this is not your boutique, small hotel. This is a large resortish hotel with tons of amenities and things to do, so check it out before booking to be sure it fits your vacation style!

Room Tip: Definitely ask how much would it be to upgrade to a room facing the Atrium.
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights while attending a convention. The location is quite inconvenient and far away from all attractions in Washington, DC (which I didn't have time for anyway). The hotel has its own SuperShuttle to/from Reagan airport that runs every 30 min. Rooms are spacious and provide the amenities expected for this price. The hotel charges a $15 "resort fee" which covers mostly useless items: daily newspaper (which I never got), bottled water, complimentary local and toll-free calls, WiFi (which didn't work in the conference room) and use of the fitness center. Would not recommend for personal stays or if planning to visit Washington.

1  Thank cqfp123
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Just had a fabuous experience at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in MD. I attended a convention and the variety and quality of food served was outstanding. In my many years of travel, a lot of hotels serve the same boring food. The Gaylord had things such as beluga lentil salad, buttered cod....everything was tasty, the perfect temperature and plentiful! I also had the opportunity to have dinner at the Old Hickory Steakhouse. My steak was cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Stayed here as well as attended a conference. Very inconvenient location, overly priced neighborhood. For the conference itself the rooms were not ventilated propertly so it was cold in the middle of August. Atrium view (higher priced and sold as something really to wowed by) was a disappointment because we were given a wing room which did not give us a "great" view as promised.

Room Tip: Choose central wing rooms for best view if choosing Atrium view
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business