“Only tried the food; didn't stay there”

Waikiki Zanzibar Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Pwani Mchangani
Salalah, Oman
“Only tried the food; didn't stay there”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Some of the best food on the island. Friendly staff and good atmosphere. the homemade Italian pizza was some of the best that I've ever had worldwide. they use ingredients that are imported from Italy. It was a nice place to have some authentic good food. Not sure about the hotel/resort but the restaurant is for sure worth a visit. staff have a wonderful passion for all things that they do.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had a wonderful time in our very own paradise in Zanzibar! Not only was it where we got married, but it's where we honeymooned! It was so beautiful and worry free. Flavio and Sarah were very accommodating, and Flavio arranged an amazing Wedding Day for us. Great food, great service, and idyllic for what we wanted at an unbelievably reasonable price!
We'll be back for our 10year anniversary!
Darren and Siobhan

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Can't say enough good things about this hotel. It's always stressful for me to find a place to stay in an area that I'm not familiar with. I liked the website and the rooms looked nice. When I called for reservations, Sarah was such a help. She assured me that the area had plenty activities for me to do. From arrival to departure of my 3 weeks stay I were treated courteously and with consideration. Front desk and staff were consummate professionals. My room was spacious and well appointed. The morning breakfast (included with the room) was uniquely offered and the selections offered were well thought out and delicious. Having the added benefit of dining outside enhanced the morning repast :-) The food is very tasty with good presentation. The managers was impressive. They knew the area very well and was patient with me when I needed suggestions. I have to say that it was truly an unforgettable experience for me. Everyone here seems so genuinely happy and they should all be very proud of the part they play in making Waikiki Resort such a special place. Thanks again everyone for making my stay a wonderful & memorable one! I will definitely be back again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MoiraSav
Kiama, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We spent 4 days at Waikiki with our two teenage sons and we had a wonderful time! All of the staff are so helpful and friendly and the atmosphere is awesome! We loved the beach, the bar and the restaurant. The food was very reasonably priced and very tasty. We especially loved the huge pizza oven and the pizzas are definitely the best we have ever eaten! The hotel has lovely rooms with fans and airconditioning and the management are only too happy to organise tours, transfers etc. The kids loved eating lunch and dinner in the boat on the beach! We would love to come back again next year and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else! Thank you for making our stay so lovely and for making us so welcome - Sarah, Flavio, Raffa and Moira! Thank you again, Kym, Andrew, Lachlan and Calllum Parker

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank apatasaurus
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Waikiki. I was looking for a place that provides comfort while focusing on simplicity and that's what I found. The place's is built on an ecological and social minded concept which you find in the simple but cosy structure of the rooms. The service was excellent, the people warm and welcoming.
The location is beautiful as it is not that packed with big All Inclusive resorts that disturb the natural atmosphere by noisy music and party people.
For snorkling go on a trip to Mnemba Island where you have a high abundance in fish and corals.
Definitely a place to relax and refresh!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kat07985
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Before visiting Waikiki my boyfriend and I stayed in a resort about 20 minutes away that was much more expensive but not nearly as good of quality as Waikiki. We were pleasantly surprised by the authenticity of everything here. The owner Fabio and his wife Sarah were genuinely nice people and upon arrival we were warmly welcomed. We were given a thorough tour of the property which was very helpful. We were upgraded to the honeymoon suite which was a very nice touch. The property was very charming, nice rustic boats as tables around the bar. The accommodations were perfect. We had our own little bungalow right on the beach with a beautiful view of the ocean. Our room was turned down twice a day and the staff were very friendly. The bartenders were great and they really know how to make a good cocktail. The pizza was amazing but I must admit we were slightly disappointed with a few items on the menu. For an italain run establishment the pasta dishes were pretty bland and unsatisfying. But twice a week they had a Swahili buffet which made up for all the shortcomings on the menu. The buffet food was authentic African cuisine and very tasty! We would've been happy with that every night! On Friday night there was a big party where people from all over the island come to partake in the fun. It was great! There was good entertainment and delicious cocktails. At low tide it's nice to walk out to the coral reef where you can see a lot of marine life like starfish, crabs, squid etc... but be careful as there are a lot of sea urchins around so its best to get one of the locals to guide you on walk. We also booked an excursion through Waikiki to go snorkeling on Mnemba Island. This could've been a bit more organized as we had requested to have our own private boat so we could snorkel as long as we wanted without worrying about other guests and although we were promised this we ended up getting placed on the boat with three other couples. It wasn't so bad but a few of the people only wanted to snorkel for like 20 minutes and they were done, we paid a good amount of money so we would've like to stay longer and get our money's worth. Also the snorkel gear could've been better, it was in pretty poor shape and unsanitary. And be aware that the drive to Mnemba Island is very rough as the road is pretty undeveloped. We went in a big van and the ride was very bumpy, I think it would've been better if they had a four wheel drive vehicle. So if you are prone to getting carsick you might want to take some medication to subdue it. Overall I would definitely recommend Waikiki to couples looking for a more intimate and personal experience in Zanzibar. Not really for families or people with children as there isn't a pool and the party would not be ideal. To be honest my boyfriend and I were looking for a romantic atmosphere and that is exactly what we found, we liked the fact that there weren't any noisy children running around the property. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Waikiki and if we ever go back to Zanzibar this is where we would want to stay!!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the beach obviously will have a much nicer view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have spent 2 weeks and with hand on my heart I can suggest this place to all my friends. Nice quiet clean beach, warm water, perfect kite surfing/SUP conditions windy every day... Friendly staff, nice owners. Everyone always very helpfull. The place was buzzing with people for Friday night party, which was a load of fun. Usually quiet during the day giving you opportunity to enjoy the sunshine, perfect weather and swimming in warm water. Good food- especially Zanzibar night. Delicious pizza and cocktails. Went solo, but never felt alone. Great spot all together.

Room Tip: All roomas are excellent
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
#2 of 3 in Mahonda
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
#1 of 6 in Matemwe

Been to Waikiki Zanzibar Resort? Share your experiences!