“Always Good”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Always a good value...lunch or dinner. A good "regular" place for good meals, good drinks.....very pleasant...service good.

2  Thank AnthonyLAtlanticCity

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the Colonial Inn for 3 nights and ate at Fred and Ethel's the first night there, which was a Tuesday.

The special that night was mini-meals, which were only $10 and included soup, salad, entree and pudding. I had the Turkey and my husband had the 6 oz. sirloin. My husband also decided to skip the soup du jour that came with the meal and got a bowl of French Onion soup (no substitutions with mini meals.)

Our waitress was super friendly and accommodating plus quick with drinks and checking on us. The bartender mixed me a special drink that I had elsewhere for which I supplied the recipe, which I thought was pretty nice.

So, onto the actual meal:

Didn't Like:

The rolls! They might be homemade, but they're dry and served barely warm. I'm a bread freak and couldn't take more than a bite. Pretty much inedible!

The salad. I'm sure many people like a salad with wilty baby greens, but I like more crunch and felt like I was eating a houseplant. Kind of a waste, considering we paid extra to get thousand island dressing instead of the house citrus vinaigrette that came with the mini-meals and then ended up not eating it!

Liked:

Their signature Tomato Soup...it was good, but a little too rich and could have been served hotter.

The French Onion Soup...was also good, but nothing I would go out of my way to get again.

LOVED:

The Turkey entree, which came with turkey, stuffing, gravy, amazing mashed potatoes and delicious mixed vegetables plus yummy whole cranberry sauce. Unfortunately, our waitress didn't know it came with stuffing. I asked for stuffing instead of mashed and she said no subs, which I understood. I was very happy to find stuffing under my turkey, but it's a shame our poor waitress wasn't informed of this.

My husband loved his steak, mashed potatoes and vegetables, too.

The Rice Pudding was fabulous and we didn't even have it that night! Our waitress packaged it to go and we had it the next night in our room. Still wonderful over 24 hours later. :)

I had almost half of my dinner left and the waitress took it to box it up to go. When we got to our room, no dinner! Only rice pudding was in the bag, so that was a bit disappointing, as it would have been lunch the next day.

All in all, for $10 per mini-meal, we felt it was definitely worth it and we will go back in March when we stay at the inn again.

1  Thank karenmon
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Fred and Ethel's Lantern Light Tavern is a close and convenient eatery for my family;sometimes places like this get neglected or forgotten about, when eating out becomes less frequent and when it does happen, trying a different location or cuisine becomes a priority.
Which is a shame. Because F&E's is always good, and every time we visit, seems to get better. We visited on 1/3/13 and were immediately impressed by the incredible selection of craft beer (I was I should say;my wife likes beer, but isn't a fanatic like me). The menu hasn't changed much, except for the perfectly-cooked Cashew encrusted scallops which my wife ordered. We shared some broccoli-cheddar potato skins (good the last time we had them, better this time around), both enjoyed F&E's trademark tomato bisque (delicious, haven't tomato soup this good in years), as I said she had the scallops and I had a fresh tasting Chinese chicken salad. Our son enjoyed his chicken fingers and most our meals immensely. Re : the craft beer, I started with a Flying Fish Exit 16 Wild Rice Double IPA (excellent), my wife had a Pyramid Winter Warmer (also excellent) and we shared a Goose Island Matilda (Belgian-style). Too much good food to consider dessert, but I'm sure that would have been superior also.
Service was prompt and gracious. The whole experience was really, really good. And I'm really, really looking forward to the next time we go, because I will now expect it to be even better.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Fred and Ethel's (no relation to Lucy and Ricky) is a casual, tavern-like restaurant with a bar that sometimes offers musical entertainment. It is located in the Smithville Shoppes in Galloway, NJ. The tomato soup is heavenly! The sandwiches and burgers are great, and the specials are usually very good. The only down side is that it's sometimes difficult to find a close parking space, because the parking lot is for the stores and restaurant.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The reuben was cold, just corned beef with cole slaw (rather than sauerkraut) and no russian dressing. The bread was the rye version of white bread. He had an upset stomach after eating the reuben.

I had the tomato bisque, which was quite good, and the reason for two stars instead of one. The buffalo chicken salad, however, was mediocre. Iceberg lettuce with a couple of sad avocado slices and olives that tasted like they had just popped out of a can.

If you are more concerned about price than taste, this place will please you. Our selections came to $27 before the tip.

The place was crowded, which may have been due to the location. Or maybe our food choices were unlucky. We aren't ever going back to find out.