“Insufficient staff to handle Thanksgiving Dinner”
Review of Ram's Head Inn

Ram's Head Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Ram's Head Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 53 Restaurants in Galloway
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Seafood, Diner, American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ram's Head Inn is a beautiful restaurant set on five country acres with sprawling gardens and flower lined fences. Located just eight miles from bustling Atlantic City, it provides a respite for the senses.
Connecticut
“Insufficient staff to handle Thanksgiving Dinner”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I would have given this place ONE star except that the food was five star quality in every way! It was delicious and beautifully presented.
You may as well say that this place ruined our Thanksgiving, except for the food and ambiance. There were four of us dining.
It might be added that is an expensive restaurant adding insult to injury.
The service was terrible from the start. Someone left a dirty tray on one of our seats so we could not be seated until it was cleared.
The waiter said Hello, poured us water, gave us the menu and liquor list and then disappeared for about 20 minutes. I actually got up and asked the hostess what the problem with the service was. She said there was no problem. Judging by the review that preceded this one I think she must have been a little clueless on that score. Meanwhile we saw our waiter presenting the dessert cart to another table and giving them dessert. The hostess must have said something because our waiter magically appeared at our table, sweating and frustrated. I watched as he covered 8 tables (some with large parties)for dinner and dessert. The waiter took our drink orders. By then we knew what we wanted to eat (we could have cooked it too) so he took our food orders. The drinks came and one of our party was served an inferior brand of drink rather than the one he ordered. The waiter came with the bottle to show him but never poured from the closed bottle which really didn't clear up the wrong brand question.
The food came in a timely manner and all of us liked all three courses (plus salad.)
Our water glasses never got refilled and we got rolls with no butter or any other condiment.
We finally asked the hostess to send over the manager or owner.
A middle aged nervous man in a suit came over and said he was the assistant manager. We unfortunately did not get his name. He never ONCE looked at me when I was explaining our service issues to him. I told him that I noticed that our waiter had eight tables plus the dessert cart. He offered us a free after dinner drink and took the inferior drink off of our bill. And he deserves credit for that. But he never ONCE looked at us consistently or sympathetically listened to us.
The bus boy suddenly became the dessert cart boy (no wonder he couldn't fill our water glasses.) He did not know that the Grand Marnier whipped cream was for the berries on the cart and barely knew how to serve the pies and cakes. Obviously he had a two minute crash course in dessert cart.
I realize that it was Thanksgiving and restaurants are crowded. But this place had a special Thanksgiving menu. Why weren't they staffed properly for the occasion? And why wasn't the staff assigned specific tasks such as bus boy, waiter, and dessert cart person? There appeared to be two hostesses one of them could have pitched in and taken drink orders, poured water and checked on guests( or at least have some one do it.) It is a management issue when a restaurant is understaffed and the staff is uncoordinated in their tasks. This is especially true for a special occasion.
If the chef left I bet this place would close down in no time.

3 Thank freebird05

New Jersey
“Disappointing Thanksgiving Experience”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have lived in the area for 4 years and had not been to the Ram's Head before, mainly because I have two young children and it is considered a fancier place. However, my father in law, who had been in the restaurant business for 40 years, had wanted to go here. Our party consisted of me, my wife, my inlaws, my two kids (3) and (1) and my two brothers in law (28) and (20). My father in law booked a reservation for 8 for Thanksgiving. Perhaps this place is better on a regular night - it certainly has that reputation, but it was not up to par - especially for the price. The place is huge and consists of several rooms with different ambiances. Our table was placed in the way way back (as far from the bathrooms and front door as you can be) and directly next to the kitchen and wait station. While this would bother most people, it did not bother me. However, after waiting to be seated, we arrived at our table and found only 1 high chair. Mind you, this reservation had been made months in advance. We asked for a second high chair and had to wait almost 5 minutes (which is a long time when you are standing there holding a child). During this time I overheard our soon to be waiter asking who was bringing the high chair and heard other staff stating that they were busy. Eventually the high chair came, but out waiter did not. 10 minutes later the waiter arrived and said that he and his "team" would be serving us. He then left. A second waitress came over and took our drink order. She did not explain the drink menu (I didnt even know they had one until later) and did not make any suggestions. Before the drinks arrived, our order was taken, by yet another waiter. Nothing on the menu was explained. I get that it is thanksgiving, but at least make suggestions or discuss the menu. Eventually the drinks did arrive. Little did I know that they would not be refilled until after the main course was served. In addition, my father in law had ordered a Heineken Light. He does not drink regular Heinekan. The waiter handed him a regular Heinekan, already opened and told him that they did not have light. Huh? Didnt they know that before? Why bring something that wasnt ordered? Anyway, as I said, we were never asked for more drinks (we did get them but had to ask the waiter twice).. The food was good, but nothing to brag about. The portion sizes were mixed and the presentation is very plain. My wife had the chicken pot pie, which was a nice size, but the glazed ham was like a snack. For $45 and up for an entree that is unacceptable. 20 minutes after we finished our main course, one of our waiters brought over the desert cart. Trouble is, he then left to do other things. He placed the desert cart behind my chair and my father in law's chair, preventing either of us from moving from our seats. He also blocked the exit from the kitchen thereby diverting all of the other servers. It should be noted that he left a desert cart directly in from of a 3 year old who had been sitting patiently waiting for desert (his favorite part) for 2 years. Eventually he came back and desert was served. Our waiter then dropped the check on our table and left. Trouble is, he never asked anyone for coffee, which was included with the meal. Who doesnt ask for coffee at fine dining? Basically we got two round of drinks (one of which we had to ask for several times) and refills on water over 2 1/2 hours. At this point my kids were getting restless and I left. My in laws waited for the bill. The bill totaled almost $500. My mother in law asked to speak to the manager before paying. Before the bill was paid the waiter picked up the check, not realizing that they hadn't left their card yet. He obviously had better things to do. The manager did come over and she was very apologetic. While she did take money off the bill (no coffee, horrible service) she also suggested that my in laws have a drink at the bar. Huh? Their kids had left already - why would they stay?? For $45-$55 for a entree I was expecting much better.. I won't go back.

3 Thank jgyankee
SOUTHAMPTON, NJ
“Worth driving an hour for”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Four of us were dining out to celebrate two birthdays and we couldn't have picked a finer restaurant. First of all, the atmosphere is quite nice without being too formal. Our server, Jordan, was a very nice young man who joined in our humor with good taste and with courtesy. He did a fine job of explaining the evening's special menu items and gave us plenty of time to mull over our dinner choices. Excellent menu with emphasis on fresh seafood. Our dinners were quite good and we allowed Jordan to present the dessert cart even though we were too full to consider sweets. Just some coffee to finish off dinner was perfect for us. We don't often spend this much for dinner but it's fun to do once in awhile and this is a place that will see us again.

1 Thank DICKKEIM
Tuckerton, New Jersey
“Prix Fixe a Good Deal”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Took the family to celebrate my wife’s birthday. We ordered from the prix fixe menu. $29.95 for three courses. It was quite a bargain. We were first served an amuse bouche of a shooter of gazpacho and a fresh from the oven popover. We all agreed that the popover beat the gazpacho hands down. For our appetizers, my wife and I both had steamed clams with chorizo sausage. Didn’t count but I’d guess about 12 little necks in the bowl in a broth so tasty that I was glad it came with three slices of garlic toast to sop it up. My sons had the soup of the day which was cream of asparagus with crabmeat. When our appys came out, my sons had a confused look because the waiter placed down two bowls that had a mound of crabmeat but no soup in them. He pretended that was all they were getting for a bit then he he poured the soup into their bowl from copper serving vessels. They both enjoyed the soup. We all ordered a different entrée. One son had a small sirloin steak, another had salmon in a teriyaki sauce, my wife had crab cakes. These three dishes were served with fresh vegetables and a potato croquette. I had the Inn’s signature chicken pot pie. It was very tasty and an ample portion. There were about 6 desserts listed on the prix fix menu but the waiter said we could have any of the desserts from the dessert cart that evening. One son had beignets with three dipping sauces, another had flan, my wife and I each had crème brulee. We were very satisfied with the meals. Service was impeccable. A nice $46 dollar bottle of pinot noir, several rounds of soft drinks for the boys, and beverages with dessert brought the total bill to around $200.00 before tip for the four of us. It would have been substantially more had we ordered from the ala carte menu. Rams Head is a good choice to splurge for a special occasion.

• Visited October 2013
New Jersey
“Gem”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is the third of the three venues owned by the same family. It lives up to the family reputation for impressive sites, talented staff and fine dining. New Jersey is not known for hospitality and I look for staff who have learned that it is a profession. I was two hours late for reservations, just before closing last night. We had driven 150 miles to south jersey been lost and therefor missed some of our itinerary that day. On top of that had no opportunity to refresh and change. We were impressed with the setting. We were welcomed warmly. I have not been served outside of London, England as well as that night. We were so tired we could not intelligently negotiate the many menu choices. Therefore, we settled for the pri fixed which is very reasonable. The food was hot, arrived timely, well presented and good tasting. It was the perfect end to the day.

• Visited September 2013