“Nice hotel but watch out!”

Dolce Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Galloway
Hockessin. DE
“Nice hotel but watch out!”
Reviewed September 24, 2008

The Marriott Seaview was a very nice hotel, great ambiance, quiet and away from the crowds of Atlantic City.

We were very happy with our stay until the day after we checked out. We booked the trip through Expedia for a two-day stay over the weekend of September 19-21. It was my husband and I & our sister-in-law and brother-in-law. The trip was paid in full in advance through Expedia. However, upon check-in, the hotel asked for our credit card "for incidentals." (Their exact words.) I gave a credit card and my sister-in-law gave a debit card. Well you can imagine the shock when my sister-in-law checked her bank account on Monday and found a deduction of $288 from Marriott. She (and I) each called Marriott and were told that it was a "security hold" (also done on my Visa also for the same dollar amount -- we only stayed two days -- but not visible to me). We did not owe a penny upon check-out yet they "took" $288 from my sister-in-law's bank account without her knowledge and approval. Had she not had enough money in her account and had written a check it would have bounced. I have called Mariott Customer Care several times and received no satisfaction except that the money would be credited back in 4-5 days. How long does it take to figure out if we took a towel? No one cared that they committed fraud by taking money from someone's bank account under the pretense of "incidentals" without advising them. In fact I was advised that all Marriotts do this everywhere including Residence Inns, Courtyards, etc. I understand that they may have problems with destruction and theft (probably already built into the price we paid for the room) and people checking out without paying, but my point is that they have no right to do this without advising you and telling you the dollar amount. This was totally unacceptable and even though I'm a Marriott Rewards member and often try to stay in Marriott when we travel, I will no longer be doing so. I wish I could post this on all Marriott reviews but have to limit it to the one I stayed at last weekend, even though it apparently applies to all. So take heed and beware.

3 Thank hfhHockessin_DE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Husband and I stayed for one night (used Marriott reward points). We were very pleased with our stay. Staff was very accomodating. Rooms are clean and comfortable. We stayed in the original part of the resort (we were told that marriott had expanded the property when it acquired Seaview about 20 years ago.) I would agree with previous reviewers 'Governor's Mansion' description of the decor. Grand entry with huge chandeliers and beautiful woodwork. Sunny and bright dining room. (We ran over to Atlantic City for dinner -less than 15 minutes away- so I can't comment on the dining room experience.) We did use room service for breakfast. Food was delivered when promised and quite good. My only complaint would be the very loud music/party going on at 3:30 am that woke us both up. Golf was good. We played the Bay Course on Saturday. We will return to Seaview!!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank buckscntymom
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We spent two nights at the Seaview last month on a last minute getaway. Given the many negative reviews, we were a bit anxious. It turned out to be a great visit. The clay tennis courts were excellent and the pool scene was fun. We had lunch at the snack bar and breakfast from room service. The food was quite good and the service was above average. Our room was small but well appointed and comfortable.

The resort was busy as you would expect during August. There were many families with kids but the crowd was well behaved. This is not a first class resort or even the best Marriott property we've visited. However, it is charming, well located, convenient and fun for a short getaway.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Greataunt
NYC
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My friend and I stayed at this beautiful grand resort for a quick getaway - she lives in Long Island and I live in NYC and this place seemed to be what both of us were looking for; a resort with an outdoor and indoor swimming pool, golf course and...top notch Elizabeth Arden Spa!

We arrived early and were impressed with the beauty of the property (a former Country Club) and the nice type of people it attracts; young couples, old couples, families and friends vacationing together. The hotel decor is what I'd call very "Governor's Mansion". Very "Hunt Club", very American.

We arrived early so we checked our bags with the Bellman and headed toward Atlantic City, (a 10-15 minute drive away - my friend and I were blown away at how much BETTER Atlantic City looks these days both on and off the Boardwalk! And we are admittedly "Travel Snobs"!!!) We returned back to the Resort much late in the evening and were hungry. Room service was already closed for the night but Laura at the Front Desk offered to call Domino's Pizza for us and put in our order - very accomodating!!!

Also, the resort has a weekly "Activities List" to let guests know about various on-site activities each day (often at NO extra cost). These events are offered for Children and Adults (i.e. BBQ by the Outdoor Pool, Bingo, Crafts). That's a nice "extra "and it's those touches that set this place apart from a regular Hotel stay. Our room was spacious and featured a marble bathroom. The beds were very comfy and the thread count on the sheets was waaay up there!!! Nice!!!

My friend and I enjoyed the Breakfast Buffet served in the beautifully sunny round Main Dining Room with it's HUGE Brass Chandelier. Everything you could imagine was included (Omlette Station, Bagels, Smoked Salmon, Hot Oatmeal, Cheeses, Berries of all kinds and much, much more. The Dining Room Staff was FANTASTIC. All of them were extremely helpful and it was wonderful to see familes with children or elderly guests REALLY being treated with great care and respect.

My friend had a massage at the Spa and loved the massage she received (by a male masseuer - lucky her!) and raved about the beauty of the Elizabeth Arden facility that has it's own extra outdoor pool.

Nutshell: I will most definitely be back and cannot believe that this Resort that is so close to the Metro-Tri-State area is soooo under the radar! This place would make a great Fall getaway too and is very close to Historic Smithville. If you are in need of a close-by de-stresser, the Marriott Seaview provides a GREAT pampered GETAWAY!!!

• Liked — Southern Hospitality, Beautiful Resort. Well Managed
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was EXACTLY the getaway I was seeking
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank RedCarnationReady
Philly/South Jersey
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Do not eat at the hotel. The wait staff is horrible. The just seem confused and always blame the kitchen staff for the problems. 4 meals there and each meal had some issue. At lunch 2 of the plates came out 20 minutes late!! They blamed the Jamaican cook. Don't try taking a shower. In the blink of an eye the water turns from burning hot to freezing cold. Then back again 2 minutes later. Turned the water on in the bathroom sink and for the first minute it was brown. This happened for 3 days. The golf courses are lame and ordinary. The spa is over priced. Way over priced. I can go on and on. Stay away, stay far away.

• Liked — the bed spread
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
SeaviewGM, General Manager at Dolce Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
This review was written while the hotel was under Marriott Management. Management at Seaview changed to Dolce hotels & Resorts as of May 9, 2009.
New Jersey
Reviewed August 18, 2008

WOW!!!!
What a great stay for my wife, myself and our two kids. Beautiful hotel, great activities for the kids, fun at the pools, delicious food and great service.
My son lost his tooth during our stay-the gift shop was closed -so enter the head of food service and his staff to come to the rescue with great treats for my son.
We love this place. The location is great-nearby to AC and Ocean City and all family beaches. Movies at night by the pool with free popcorn, scavenger hunts, jello eating contests, Cape May Zoo visit to the property with great animals-all around a true resort. Beautiful golf courses, basketball courts, tennis, indoor and outdoor pools-what more can you want. Would go back again in a heartbeat. SeaView does Mariott proud. A beautiful place with generous and warm staff.

• Liked — The great atmosphere for the family.
  • Disliked — That they did not provide life guards.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank catskillking
Wallingford, PA
Reviewed August 7, 2008

This is still a wonderful getaway. My husband and I spent the weekend there and had a nice time. It is a clean and simple hotel; it reminds me of an old classic country club from the 60's. Nothing fancy but quiet and convenient and very friendly, professional staff. You are allowed to use the vacation villas amenities as well-spa, pools. I would recommend the adult pool and bar at Fairway villas over the hotel pool as it is less crowded and quiet. You can take a shuttle over or drive or walk (10 minute walk). This was our second time and I would definately go back when I want to visit Atlantic City. It's nice to leave the hustle and bustle of the casinos and come back to some quiet. It is also only 10-15 minutes from Brigantine beaches.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Hotel Pool too Small
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmyersrw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galloway
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
Golden Nugget
Golden Nugget
#9 of 49 in Atlantic City
The Claridge - a Radisson Hotel

Been to Dolce Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!