“Amazing!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aylsham
Black Boys Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 6 Aylsham B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

First things first, we didn't stay, me and my partner popped in for a roast today, we both know what's good quality food. I had the roast lamb and my partner had the beef. We can happily say it was the best roast we've ever had! There is just nothing we could fault, all the staff we're lovely and very precentable young ladies, but best of all the food was just lovely. We highly recommend it and looking forward to our next visit.
Kealy & David from Norwich.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Kealistath

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was my fifth visit this restaurant and like all the other occasions neither I nor the rest of the party were disappointed. I do find the À la Carte Menu to my taste, and pocket, and the Evenings Specials adds a seasonal and local selection as well. This visit was with my sixteen year old grandson and he delighted in being able to select the sole stuffed with Cromer crab after starting with the calamari. I went for the Swannington belly pork with an apple purée and
seared Scottish king scallops followed by the Cromer crab salad. Wow, both dishes were delightfully served and very tasty. The Hotel does have its own website and before booking it's possible to see what's available and then change one's mind dozens of times before ordering. Just one caveat the restaurant is open to the bar and if you want a quite table then ask for one around the corner away from the bar. The bar carries a good selection of real ales which I enjoy and am assured a more than ample wine selection. My cousin and her husband thoroughly enjoy the house white. To summarise I would say: great food, generous portions, good atmosphere, excellent service and certainly worth a visit. I will certain go back again when visiting the area. I don't feel that £30 a head for a two course meal, drink (two bottles of wine) and a tip is excessive for the quality provided.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lasapiniere
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed at The Blackboys in July13. Room was a little tired, but had loads of character (including the plumbing!), and cleaning faultless.

We stayed two nights and enjoyed our first meal so much we returned the following night. Portion sizes are huge, and this includes the breakfast, but not at expense of quality which was top notch. Very wide choice on the menu, and includes locally sourced produce.

Staff very friendly, beer (Woodfordes and Adnams) perfectly kept, and superb weather to boot.

We will definitely be back

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rega2
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Sadly we didn't stay and there wasn't an option to see the rooms.
We had a ham hock starter salad with blue cheese croquettes which were absolutely delicious.
For main I had the pork belly, red cabbage and mash. I only wish the crackling had a bit more crackle :(. The mash hinted a little of being reheated but overall the flavours were great. My partner had liver with bacon and onion with the same veg. He loved it! Nothing left on the plate. We had a nice bottle of Finca, which wasn't quite cold enough, but was okay. The serving staff were friendly and highly professional excellent couldn't wish for better.
The website prices ( the menu listed is an example as the food is seasonal and local) is out of date and the prices were around 40% higher than advertised, which is a little disappointing.
Overall a good experience just needs a nudge of consistency. We will definitely eat there again as we found out they offer good old fish and chips to takeaway :P. if your in and around Aylsham defiantly worth a visit.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came to Aylsham for May BH weekend.

We visited the Black Boys on the first night (due to reviews on TripAdvisor), but had to wait a little too long for a table. Went back on the Sat evening and got a table (we were slightly after the kitchen closed and Chef still served us).

Meal was wonderful. Service was faultless.

Recommended!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Twelve of us called here for lunch. Food was fine with a good choice and service very friendly. Not a lot more I can say about the place. Marginally better than the average pub/hotel fare, hence four rather than three stars from me, and I would recommend it for lunch if in the area

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Black Boys is everything an authentic English pub should be - it dates back to the 1600's so has bags of character (I'm sure it must have a ghost or two), it looks charming and is set in the market square of Aylsham so is always busy with an eclectic mix of locals and visitors. We had booked to stay one night but wished we had stayed two.

Our double room had an imposing, huge wooden bed in it, the twin boasted a large bathroom with bath and a separate lounge area. Our room was rather warm but we opened the window and would have had a wo nderful sleep if some foul mouthed couple in the street hadn't had a domestic.....but that's not the pub's fault!

We settled in the bar about 5pm and didn't move for the remainder of the night! The staff are friendly and accommodating and the locals were great fun - we even ended up having a singsong! The food was lovely - but the portions are huge so be warned. The quality is very good though and it was the best prawn tempura that I've had.
We can't wait to return as it was the highlight of our trip!

Room Tip: If you want a roomy twin with a separate lounge then ask for 105