“Impressive castle”

Lismore Castle Gardens
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Lismore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Owner description: Lismore Castle Gardens and Gallery are situated on the edge of the heritage town of Lismore, the proud winner of numerous Tidiest Town awards. Visitors are invited to wander in the historic gardens, arranged over seven acres within the 17th century outer defensive walls of Lismore Castle. The gardens are said to be the oldest continually cultivated gardens in Ireland and they offer spectacular views of both Lismore castle and the surrounding countryside of the Blackwater valley. Featuring a wide variety of beautifully maintained plants and trees, as well as a permanent sculpture collection, Lismore Castle Gardens is one of the highlights of The Waterford Garden Trail, which includes fifteen gardens around Co. Waterford. Please note the castle itself is a private residence and is therefore not open to visitors. Entry to the garden includes access to the contemporary art gallery, Lismore Castle Arts, which hosts exhibitions of Irish and international artists. There is also a small refreshment counter and a reading room, plus art materials available for children. Visitors might also enjoy other attractions located within walking distance of the gardens. These include Lismore Cathedral, the Heritage Centre and Lady Louisa's walk, as well as a number of bars, cafes, restaurants and shops. Please note due to the historic nature of the gardens and the naturally steep terrain of the ground, there are some unavoidable limitations on access for visitors who use a wheelchair or are less mobile. The gallery, Lismore Castle Arts, is occasionally closed for installation of temporary exhibitions, please contact us for full details.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The castle is the most impressive part of this site. It is a private residence; too bad some part or parts of it are not open to the public like the Bantry House. The gardens were okay, but in mid-May there were few flowers in bloom or much other in the color category. The upper gardens were a bit difficult to access as the stairs to the area are somewhat steep. We are not much into the modern art area, and modern art was the only exhibit when we were there. The gardens are very peaceful and restful, but the price is a bit high.

1  Thank wwhughesjr
"castle gardens"
"kitchen garden"
"vegetable garden"

Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Wow! Not sure why so many people are being so harsh with their reviews. We loved Lismore Castle! It is an extraordinary place! It is true that the general public cannot tour the interior of the castle. That is because the Duke's family still lives there and they also rent the castle to special groups of 20-30 people. Can't imagine how much that costs!

The gardens are tranquil and very well-maintained. The art is modern but adds to the experience. But be forewarned, it is NOT a place to visit if you have any mobility issues. It is quite hilly and paths on the lower garden are virtually nonexistent. But overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the experience even if the gardens themselves don't compare to major botanical gardens like Kew or Butchart. But how often do you get to tour gardens surrounding a working 11th century castle? That makes it very special!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I went to Lismore through a tour from Princess Cruise. When I was told that Lismore Castle Garden was not included in our tour, my husband and I went to there by ourselves. The 7 areas garden surrounds the magnificent castle. Trees, shrubs and flowers and law make the castle picture perfect on the background of the blue sky. The beautiful view is not the only thing that you enjoy there; the tranquility and peace, because the garden is hardly to see any visitors or travelers. The price of 8 Euro entry fee was worth to pay in my opinion. I enjoyed the visit very much.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Two adults, a teen and a pre-teen, we visited today as part of a day trip to West Waterford. If the day had been overcast, we would not have enjoyed our 1.5 hour visit at all. The first thing we were told at the entrance was that the castle was a private residence (I'd seen this on the Lismore website the previous night) and the family price was €20. There were no tickets. The entrance is incorporated in the gate tower. To see the lower gardens you exit the tower at the entrance level. To see the upper gardens, you return to the tower, climb the steep internal stairs and cross over the gate. We observed a young foreign couple managing a buggy up the stairs and it only occurred to me then that we had not seen any wheelchair/disabled facilities anywhere during our visit. I looked at the gardens website tonight and indeed there was no reference to such facilities. We all enjoyed the informal lower gardens: the Rhodendrons were in bloom and everywhere was colour. The upper level seemed to be showing the effects of our long winter this year; plants which should have been flowering were not. The high hedging kept it interesting; you never knew what was around the corner. The Art Gallery had nothing of interest to us except the toilets (I don't consider myself a philistine but I reckon only 1% of visitors would be captivated by the display!). As for refreshments, it appears to consist of tea/coffee dispensing urns and no food. As I said at the start, the fine sunny day made our visit worthwhile. It was not worth €20; perhaps €10 and the single photo on the website does not represent what we saw in the upper gardens. Don't come here if you have walking difficulties; you might manage the lower gardens but not a chance of getting to the upper ones. I wonder if Lord and Lady Burlington have any interest in the reviews being posted on Trip Advisor?

1  Thank virtual-inspector