“Amazing kids love it”

Sandylands Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Clydebank, United Kingdom
“Amazing kids love it”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Still here last day is tomorrow, amazing for price staff are so friendly and helpfull, we booked a bronze caravan n rooms are a bit cold at night (bring a plug in heater) pool is small but perfect for our needs n kids loved it, staff at pool made sure our 1 year old was having fun with toys in the pool, night time entertainment is great for kids not so sure about after that as we had to leave early with kids getting tired, overall a fab short break n will defo b back x

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Laurataylor86
Park R, General Manager at Sandylands Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you taking the time to write a review following your recent stay here at Sandylands.

I am pleased to hear how much you and your children enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry to hear you found the bronze caravan to be cold at night could I suggest an upgrade to a gold plus caravan for your next visit which comes with double glazing and central heating as standard. I have passed your remarks about the pool onto our pool manager who has asked me to thank you for your kind words and her team always strive to cater to all ages and needs. Thank you for your comments about our on-site entertainment Shaun and his team always strive to deliver the most exciting and varied entertainment day and night.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Kingswinford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Sandylands is a small holiday park that is obviously trying hard. The reception area is bright & clean & there are some landscaped areas that look very nice. Unfortunately, its location lets it down. The big draw for us in choosing this park was the fact that it was right by the beach. However, the beach was absolutely filthy. Obviously, this is not the park's fault but it might be good for business if they organised some litter picking, etc. Another problem we had was with getting food. As we had our dog with us, we obviously couldn't use the restaurant (which looked very nice) but it was a shame that the on-site fish & chip shop was only open for one evening during our stay (& that it had a very limited amount of food actually in stock). Our caravan was a pleasant surprise. Due to having the dog, we could only book a bronze caravan but it turned out to be roomy & well appointed. Unfortunately, there was some rubbish under the caravan (some bin bags & other bits) & a maintenance area containing old, damaged caravans was quite visible which detracted from the look of the park. The staff were very friendly & helpful, but I'm afraid that we wouldn't visit Sandylands again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Penny W
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us here at Sandylands. I am sorry to hear that you found the local area to be a let-down many of our guest comment on the wide choice of places to visit in the area. Might I suggest a short ferry ride over to the Isle of Arran or a journey to the beautiful seaside town of Largs. The beach across from the park is maintained by the councils rangers and we are seeking to work together in order to resolve the littler problem. We currently have members of our maintenance team carrying out daily litter picks of the area. I am sorry to hear you had a few issues with the positioning of the caravan the area is used for the dismantling of old caravans as part of an on-going project to reinvigorate the park. The restaurant is a new addition to the park and we have had fantastic feedback from it thus far I am sorry to hear you were unable to dine with us on this occasion however we are more than happy to prepare any of the meals on our menu to take away. I have passed your comments on with regards to the fish and chip shop to our catering manager who has apologised if any of the items on our menu were out of stock at the time of your stay. I am pleased to hear however that you found our staff to be pleasant and helpful at all times and I hope that you will reconsider and one day visit us again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Saltcoats hotels

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

This was a short break to visit family, stayed in a bronze caravan as we brought 4 legged friends,the caravan was clean comfortable and well equipped. Cost of the break was good, although I did think £30 per dog per visit was too expensive.
The evening entertainment provided by Carey and Mike was excellent, another team star was Donna, who was very professional and friendly. Two other team star members were not present during our stay,but I feel sure the entertainment could not have been improved, the three members present catered for all needs to the highest standard, they made our short break into a holiday. Thank you Carey Mike and Donna for creating a happy relaxed and entertaining evening enjoyed by all.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ann B
Park R, General Manager at Sandylands Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, May 2, 2014

I am pleased to hear how happy you were during your time spent at the park and that your caravan met with all of your expectations. The supplementary cost for dogs when visiting the site covers the additional expense involved in deep cleaning the caravan to ensure it is suitable for our next guests. I am pleased you found the evening entertainment to be to your liking and I have passed your comments on to Shaun our entertainments manager who has asked me to thank you for your kind words and apologises for not having been available to see you himself.

Thank you again for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This was our first visit to Sandylands and was very much a 'last minute' thing as we needed to get away from noise and dust made by workmen locally. We paid a super cheap price. We were well impressed when we saw the caravan. Spotlessly clean and really pleasant. A few minor problems like a blind which wouldn't work but it was far from a new van. There were just two of us, and we quickly worked out that it would be cheaper to eat in the restaurant and have a total rest than to go to the supermarket and buy stuff to cook, and a damned sight easier. We ate all our meals in the restaurant and the food was of a very high standard at very reasonable prices.My husband, a food lover himself soon got chatting to Steve the Chef and in fact all the other staff who were very friendly and courteous. We were very impressed with Sandylands and will go back again. Basically, an unbeatable price and great value for money..Loads of space to take the dogs for a walk and even they loved the place...

Room Tip: Our caravan was fine,we had dogs with us which restricted which vans were available and yet it was s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

It’s great to hear that you found your stay to be so enjoyable and at great value for money. I am sorry there were minor issues with your caravan if you contact reception during your stay our maintenance are only too happy to help with repairing any issues you might have. It is wonderful to hear how happy you were with our new restaurant we have invested heavily in this during the winter and it is great to hear how popular it has become. I have passed your praise on to Steven our catering manager who has asked me to thank you personally for your comments on the food. We work very hard to deliver the very best of service in all areas of the park and it is great to hear how positively our staff have impacted your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future and thank you again for leaving a review on trip advisor.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Swimming pool, bar area etc all very new, clean,and well maintained.
Gold plus caravan, clean, spacious and warm. Not particularly well equipped. Lack of glasses, cooking utensils (not even a tin opener!)
Quite a run down holiday park with lots of boarded up, disused vans.
Saltcoats beach an absolute disgrace, never seen so much litter -walked there once and didn't return!
Visited by police on our first morning due to a nearby caravan break in, the third of 3 in a week, so we were advised by the very friendly policeman! Having used Park resorts numerous times, this is by far the worst park we've stayed at (most of the problems not actually the responsibility of Park Resorts).
Overall, we had a decent stay and Sandylands was a reasonable base to explore the area (ferry to Arran a must) but we certainly won't be returning!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank STPurdy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay here at Sandylands. I am pleased you found your caravan to be comfortable and warm but I am sorry to hear that there were items missing from your accommodation and I have passed this on to housekeeping to investigate further. We encourage all our guests to report any issue that may occur during their stay to reception so we are able to rectify any problems efficiently and quickly. The beach is under the control of the local authorities however staff from the park are now carrying out regular litter picks of the beach. I am sorry to hear that you were visited by the police during your stay we are working in partnership with them to ensure that events like this do not transpire again. I am pleased to hear your kind comments about the facilities we have invested heavily the winter and I am sure you will agree they are a great addition to the park. I hope this hasn’t put you off visiting other Park Resorts and thank you once again for leaving your review.
Stevenston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here for over a week the park is exactly as I expected. I lived in Stevenston for 28 years before moving abroad and was staying here whilst visiting family.

Firstly, I would like to say that although the park is situated next to an abattoir, this has no effect whatsoever on the experience. In fact you wouldn't even know it's an abattoir unless someone told you so don't let that put you off.

However, if you are looking for a nice stay by the beach with some days in to town then you may think this park is for you. The beach directly next to the park is littered with rubbish and is in a very poor state. I have never seen it so bad. This is of course totally outwith the control of the park and the blame for this must fall with the local authority/council. Having said that it's still ok to walk dogs etc and there is a slightly better beach further up the coast towards Irvine but again you have to walk through a lot of rubbish to get to it. Alternatively you can drive 10 mins to Ardrossan south beach which is much nicer.

On to the local towns. Saltcoats was once a very popular tourist/shopping down with plenty to do and see. Again, I have never seen the town so desolate and run down. There appears to be more pound shops than anything and there is very little to do for families. However there are some nice places to drive to such as Largs, Ayr (see heads of Ayr farm park) and Glasgow for shopping etc.

My advice to Sandylands/Park resorts would be to put additional pressure on the council in order to clean up the beach. They are already aware of the problem but it seems to me they are using excuses (lack of access etc) to justify the time it is taking to sort this.

Lastly the clientele. Most of the people who holiday at Sandylands are very friendly and just want to have a nice time by the beach. Unfortunately they are being let down by certain individuals. Sandylands is about a 30min train ride from Glasgow and as such this is convenient location for some people to come and get 'mad with it' and the weekend whilst the kids seem to fend for them self. Whilst I was there, I had to ask a nearby caravan to keep the noise levels down as there was constant loud music and shouting after midnight that was keeping everyone the the adjacent caravans awake. I would have called park security but the number on the information leaflet only had the office which was closed (I suggest management address this).

Anyway after asking this 'gentleman' to keep the noise down he got very aggressive and angry and the situation almost got out of control. I eventually walked up to see security personally to get their number but when I got back down the noise level was much lower so there was no need to call for assistance.

All I'm saying is that based on my experience, you have to be very careful with certain elements of the clientele here. You will undoubtedly encounter the typical NED during your stay here! I have to say though that the security team here are very good and helpful. I seen them actively policing the site during the day asking some people to keep the noise down etc.

Point for the management: During my stay I seen the police attending the park on no fewer that 4 occasions. Is this a normal occurrence (by arrangement) or something more sinister? I would imagine it's slightly off putting to see the police everyday on holiday.

Everything else about the park is fine - good staff, ok facilities (although the pool is quite poor), decent food and good entertainment.

My top tip to any families coming from England or further afield in Scotland would be to give Sandylands a miss for the time being and go somewhere like Seaton sands, Lochloy near Nairn or Auchenlarie near Castle Douglas. It might cost a bit more and be further away but you will have lots more to do and see.

To the management: I'm sorry to have to advise people go elsewhere but it's due to things that are mostly out of your control (the state of the beach and towns etc) but I do think you can add your own pressure to the authorities to address this. If this is ever sorted you should then be in a position to attract better and more clientele which I'm sure your staff can handle.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank TVE22
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following you’re recent stay at Sandylands. I am sorry to hear that your experience wasn’t too you’re liking and that you weren’t impressed with the local area however there are wealth of places to visit in the area including; the Isle of Arran, Largs, Ayr, Troon and many more beside. Leaflets are available for all of the attractions in the area in our reception and our staff are only too happy to help when deciding where to visit. I am sorry you found the beach to be in poor condition we are actively seeking to work with the council to help restore the beach to be in keeping with some of the stunning coast line the west coast offers. I am sorry that you had issues during your stay regarding noise levels, our security team actively patrol the park throughout the night and are only too happy to help with any issues, and we encourage all our guests to report any issues that may occur during their stay to reception so we can rectify any problems that arise. I am pleased to hear that you were happy with our staff and facilities on the park an area we have invested in heavily during the winter. Thank you once again for writing a review on trip advisor.
Arbroath, Scotland
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Just back from 6 days in sandylands and i have to say it was fantastic. The only bad point for me was the showers, they were either too hot or too cold so i had to take my kids into the showers at the swimming pool.

The facilities here are good and the location is great as u can use this site as a base to travel around Ayrshire.

The best bit by a mile was the evening entertainment, the team stars are amazing, they kept everyone laughing and entertained all night, my 13yr old daughter loved them as did my 2 yr old, i loved the celtic night preformance, Sean, Greame, Micheal, kerry and Donna certainly made our holiday a happy memorable one.

Will certainly be booking again very soon xx

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Charleen1977
Park R, General Manager at Sandylands Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely review on your stay here at Sandylands Holiday Park. I am sorry that you found the shower facilities the incorrect temperature and I have since passed your feedback on to the maintenance team to investigate further. I’m so pleased you thought your holiday with us was fantastic and I’ll be sure to pass on your comments to our team stars that made your holiday memorable. Sandylands is located in a great area to explore the Ayrshire coast and glad you got to take full advantage of the great tourist attractions. If you have any queries regarding future holiday dates and prices, please feel free to contact us directly on 01294 469411. Thank you and see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltcoats
Seamill Hydro
Horizon Hotel
Horizon Hotel
#7 of 17 in Ayr
Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven

Been to Sandylands Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!