Bergwaters Lodge
Fortis Hotel Malaga(Waterval Boven)(Great Value!)
$58
$66
Agoda.com
$95
$92
All reviewstable tennisswimming poolout of this worldivanspatranquilbreakrelaxationsceneryhospitality
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had booked in for the night on our way to JHB. At around midnight three armed men, wearing balaclavas entered into our room and robbed us using extreme force, of all our valuables. The leader ripped all my jewelry off my arms whilst pointing a gun at my head.
After the attack we managed to wake the owner who contacted the police. When I asked the owner where his security guards were, his answer was "we do not have security". I asked why and he said that the previous owner had not had an attack in the last 16 years. He ALSO said that the attacks had started recently at the resorts in the area - then why did he not see to security??
Everyone, please do not risk your lives by staying at Bergwaters Eco Lodge. We were lucky to get away with ours.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Emmy H
bergwaters, Owner at Bergwaters Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Understandably Emmy H is very upset about what happened to her, as are we. I do however believe that some of the facts have been omitted and some distorted in Emmy's review.

First, Emmy fails to highlight the fact that there was NO FORCED ENTRY, i.e the locks and latches provided where not used, and valuables were not safely stowed away or locked in the safe available at reception. Had this been the case the incident, I am certain, would have been very different.

Second, according to the statement made to the police, NO fire arms were presented by the intruders.

Third, it was the police that indicted that there had been similar incidents in the area, not I.

Bergwaters has been in existence for more than 35 years, and this is the first incident of this nature - ever. There was no reason to believe that we or our guest were in imminent danger. Needless to say, we have since installed early warning devices to raise the alarm in the event of an intruder. I have also started to check that guests are using the locks and latches provided. Interestingly, during an inspection just before mid night this last weekend, I had to awaken one of our guests to ask them to please lock their doors.

Guests need to understand that considering prevailing crime in our country, it is just as much their responsibility to ensure their safety by at least locking doors while occupying the room especially at night, and to make certain valuables are locked away.

I would implore you the reviewer to please note that Emmy H is not try to provide objective information to you as the prospective guest. Clearly this review is aimed at discrediting us and damaging our business, and a vent for her anger, making out we are the guilty part here, where as in fact we are just as much the victim.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

After a long year we were hoping to have a relaxing hassle free holiday over December 2013. I regret to say that for the most part the stay was not worth the money or hassle driving on the dirt road to the lodge. On arrival we were greeted by one of the son's and shown to our unit.
The state of the unit was just not on par with the cost per person. Some lampshades didn't work, the main bathroom toilet was broken, the stove was not in proper working order and all in all the bathroom was just disgusting.
I approached the owner Chantel about the mould and peeling paint in the bathroom and she was astonished to hear of it. I wondered if she ever went into the unit as surely it shouldn't be a surprise to her. The toilet was fixed immediately and the stove over the next 2 days of our stay. Since we had booked months in advance one would of expected that to be ready before we arrived. The unit was so dirty. When the cleaning lady actually swept the floors the next day it was sickening to see what came from under the furniture. The unit is badly maintained if at all. The main bathroom has a shower head which apparently has never 'really' worked! You don't even want to brush your teeth in that basin. The bathroom in the main bedroom was just crazy. Don't dare going to the toilet after your shower as that gets wets along with the toilet paper. The bedroom walls need to be redone and since there are no skirting boards the dirt is all nicely packed between the wooden flooring and the walls.
The things that need to be attended to are just forgotten.
I am positive that if pictures off the self-catering unit were put on their site, no one would book.
Then during our stay we battled on numerous occasions to find someone to help us. Once when the dining room attendant eventually appeared, she was so sour and made me feel like I was disrupting her entire day! Between my kids and I we had to sort out the issues, find what we needed and even became the welcoming folk for new visitors as they could also not locate any staff to help them on arrival.
One night I walked down to the main lounge area only to be charged by one of the dogs and nipped in the leg. It is so dark around the corners and if that was one of my kids it could of been their faces that were bitten. I asked for my money to be refunded as we wanted to leave early. I was politely referred to their terms and conditions. After literally screaming at Ivan and pointing out all the resorts issues he agreed to refund one day of accommodation.
This place has so much potential and reading the old reviews it is clear to me that not much has changed. What an absolute pity!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tammy189
Reviewed November 30, 2013

On 20 July 2013 I was fortunate, and absolutely blessed, to get married at this beautiful lodge. Tucked in between the mountains of Waterval Boven, away from the rush of the city and everyday-worries, lies this picture-perfect venue - ideal for a tranquil getaway or, as in our case, a small and intimate wedding. Upon arrival we were warmly welcomed by Ivan, Chantel and Ernie. We were directed to the "honesty bar" where we relaxed and took in the surroundings. We were served delicious food for dinner, and a full English breakfast the next morning. Chantel single-handedly planned and arranged my ENTIRE wedding - all we had to do was show up! The décor was beautiful and the food delicious. We were treated like family, and the staff and management were friendly and helpful throughout the whole weekend.

Thank you Chantel for making our wedding day perfect, beautiful and SO special - you met and exceeded our highest expectations! I have no doubt in my mind that we will definitely visit Bergwaters again, as it was a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for you review Liesl, it was an honor to host you special day.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for our aniversary and we had a wonderfull experience. I would take my kids with me if I go nect time. We were received warmly by Chantel. Our room was great, you do not need anything more for 2 people. I loved al the facilities and activities available. I also love the fact that the lodge has been running for so many years, but it was modified to be comfortable and homely and not to modern. We felt at home and so relaxed. The open Honest bar is for me a awsome idea. Thanx for a great experiance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review Henriette, would love to have you guys back any time. Such a lovely couple.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this establishment in July this year. We stayed for 3 days and had a fantastic break. Ivan & Chantel, The owners, who run and managed the lodge, are fantastic hosts.
I couldn’t disagree with pervious reviewers more. We were well received by Ivan as we arrived before being helped to our room. The rooms are quaint and perfect for 2. Our room had DSTV, and air conditioned and en suit bath room. Granted the lodge has been around for 35 years and this is evident in the style. Also evident is that they had been well maintained over the years.
We had all our meals at the Five Owls restaurant on site. All I can say is, we really enjoyed our meals, they were tasty and generous portions. There’s a good selection of South African wines at the bar which operates on an Honest Bar principle which I really appreciated. We felt right at home.
The lodge is located in a valley surrounded by mountains so it’s pretty cold in July. There are 2 fire paces in the lodge which is real cosy so take an extra jersey for when you go out.
All in all - Bergwaters has my vote, and I definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary F

Thank for the review Mary, looking forward to having you guys back soon.