It was kind of an uneasy feeling wehn first driving up the dirt track toward Rocky Drift. the reserve is set back from the main road up a single track that seems to go nowhere. Once we entered the reserve and crossed the river, it was a welcome sight. The two houses placed in a leafy ridge with lawns around them and the river not more than 30 metres away. Ideal for a peaceful getaway.
We spent 4 days in this setting and hiked the bike trail up the river a number of times. Looking after the place and its guests were the resident Basil Fawlty called Judas, Lina and a delightful young boy named Lefa who was spending the holidays with his grandparents.
This is a place you want to be if your plan is to do extreme relaxation.
Negative points that can be overlooked as they didnt distract from the beauty of the place:
- The picnic area around the river is not well maintaned and looks unkempt
- The trail is great, but we met a tree that had falled over the trail quite a while ago and shows that the trail is not well maintained too
- We had to conduct a epic battle with a rat that crawled down from the rafters (We Won)
- We had an epic battle with the microwave which refused to work
Full marks for ambience...
The negatives are easily forgotten
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated 290 km from Johannesburg on the Waterval Boven - Nelspruit Road, Rocky Drift Private Nature Reserve embraces an enclosed valley of approximately 257 hectares of some of the most beautiful mountain country to be found in the Waterval Boven district. The climate is typical of summer rainfall areas. Winter and summer mean temperatures of between 6c in winter and 34c in summer, can be expected.Nourished by the Joubert Spruit tributary of the Elands River, the natural water supply is fountain fed from the mountain tops and of the highest quality. At no stage during the past 60 years has the stream ever dried up. The Nature Reserve is ecologically contained and home to many species of fauna e.g. Bushbuck, Baboon, Klipspringer, Duiker, Steenbok, Vaal Reedbuck, Vervet Monkeys, Leopard, Genet, Rooikat, Rock Pythons etc. Bird life includes, Black Eagle, Steppe Buzzard, various Kites and Falcon.Rich in natural and South African history, the kloof (gorge) and slopes of the valley once housed President Paul Kruger's Commandos during the period of his escape to exile via Lourenco Marques (Maputo). Circular rock encampments with old Martini Henry rifle shells and enamel mugs used by the Boer soldiers and Scouts are sometimes unearthed on the property. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Rockydrift Nature Reserve Waterval Boven, South Africa - Mpumalanga