“Below sub par”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Salamanca
Phoenix, Arizona
“Below sub par”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am a walking chamber of commerce for all things Mexican but this hotel has to be one of the worst I have been to in recent memory. The rooms themselves are fine - OK, ours had a dodgy WC flush, the faucet in the shower kind of hung off the wall, the coffee for the in-room machine was not replaced after the first day (when we'd used to 2 pouches provided) ... etc - that kind of thing - annoying but not critical.
The first really super irritating thing that happened was that we placed a wake up call ... that never came. When the clerk (who had taken the call at the front desk) - Ivan - was asked about this, denied he had ever spoken to us ... etc etc. Not a promising start. Thank goodness we were not trying to catch a flight or anything really important.
Problems include:
1. the personnel (nice enough, just clueless),
2. lack of a proper Executive Lounge (sorry guys, a sterile foyer type space with a few bits of furniture does not count)
3. lack of a functioning printer in the business center (actually it is non existent)
4. lack of key board on one of 3 available computers in the business lounge,
5. lack of more than one functioning computer on 2 of the days I was there,
6. plus one of the most dreadful hotel restaurants I have ever eaten in - ever (and I've been to my fair share of grotty ones).
Restaurant critique: (must add that we were desperate, it was a Sunday night and nothing else was open in a town of few choices to begin with - believe me when I say going to the hotel restaurant was the absolute last resort) includes
a. been given stale bread (there had been a wedding there 2 nights previously ... maybe it was left over?),
b. a salad made of wilted lettuce that even a rabbit would have turned back,
c. strawberries on the aforementioned salad (from a nearby town that is famous for them we were told) that tasted of soil.
d. Neither the wilted lettuce nor the fruit had been washed, I am absolutely dead certain.
e. We never have dessert but heck, everything else had been a disaster but it got better: they were out of the 3 choices we had picked out (being informed one after the other they were unavailable) and were told the final choice (at this point, choice #4 which was available) could not be made as the chef was leaving ... ARRGGHH !!
Anyway ! 3 stars for the room (it was fine, clean, spacious, the cleaning staff were very good)
and 1 star for everything else. There's very little choice in Salamanca, one of those sad towns between towns - ended up a great base for what we were doing tourism-wise (other than dreading going back there every night!) and the town itself has got to have one of the prettiest interiors of churches we have ever seen, on the main square (not the Parroquia, though that is pleasant enough), gold leaf galore - actually worth going to look at, even if for just a few moments. Also the people of Salamanca are very nice, very helpful - perhaps the hotel ought to be employing them ! All the employees we spoke to (approx 7-8) had been transplanted from other parts of the country.
I will never go back to that hotel including being under sever duress ! Enough said.

Room Tip: Well .... the noises from the trains can be jarring at 2AM & other wee hours - we were in a room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salamanca, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear YR R,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our valued guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I am glad to read you liked the room accommodations. However, I am sorry some aspects did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the level of service received at our hotel restaurant, food quality and poor customer service encountered. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future and provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 10, 2012

If you will pass or you are planning a business trip or stay a few days/weeks in Salamanca or in a city around or just for holidays!... I just can say that is one of the best options in the "Bajio" Area and the best one in Salamanca. With a friendly staff, first class services, good location and good traditional and international food to offer there's not doubt that you will enjoy your stay more than in other places.

In additional, Salamanca is located in the hearth of one of the most important Industrial corridor in MEXICO!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Irvine, California
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel is dated but clean. Rooms are large but lack dresser drawers. Mattresses are comfortable. Onsite restaurant staff is friendly. Parking spaces few and cramped. The hotel is very close to live railroad tracks and a busy railroad crossing. Pemex refineries seem to surround Salamanca. Multiple train trips passing by the hotel are very disruptive and interrupt both daytime and night time activities. Train horns will often be loud enough to interrupt personal and phone conversations. Multiple crossings and subsequent horns will frequently disrupt sleeping. Rain finds its way into every area of the hotel during downpours. I would not stay here if there are any other alternatives available, unfortunately this may be the only alternative available.

Room Tip: Stay on upper level floors. Stay in rooms ending in 01 thru 05. A/C has to stay running to cool the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Salamanca, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear CMPunch,

Thank you very much for writing us a review regarding your recent stay. It's nice to hear that you like our large rooms and location of the hotel. Please accept my sincerest apology for the issues you had with the outised noise, room amenities and condition of the hotel during your stay. I understand the inconvenience this has caused you. Rest assured, your review will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and will be used to reconsider improvements needed. Thank you for staying with us and we would hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Salamanca, Mexico.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care
Tula, Mexico
Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Bright clean modern hotel with friendly staff,easily found and central for the area.

Breakfast is good with a reasonable choice and food is available until late.

Would not hesitate to stay again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Very nice hotel with spacious rooms, and OK air conditioning. In November, fine. In summer it seemed not to be able to keep up with the load and the rooms were a bit warm. The service here is great. They try very hard to please customers in every way. The only complaint I have other than the summer air conditioning is that the equipment in the gym is the cheapest possible equipment. For $15 K total or less, they would have an awesome workout area with 2 higher end treadmills, a reasonable stationary bike and an elliptical. Instead, they chose to spend considerably less and it is a less than enjoyable experience. With the business this area has attracted recently, they need to upgrade.

Room Tip: On the side away from train tracks
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Holiday Inn Salamamnca is the best option in Salamanca. the rooms are very clean and modern, have a high tech sustem to control tv, music, internet, lights, etc. Has a good swimming pool and a small garden area.

The best is the service, everyone is friendly and goes out of their way to help you.

Since the hotel is located in a small property it does not have that many amenities. Good restaurant but limited options

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Viaticatus
Ensenada, Mexico
Reviewed July 11, 2010

When I made my reservation I thought i was just going to stay in another cookie cutter Holiday Inn and I was so very wrong! I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and this was as good as most of those.

The food was FANTASTIC-Room service was FANTASTIC-The room was extremely clean but the best part was the hotel staff. These people were more like family than hotel employees!

The hotel is very quite and the bed is great.

Salamanca is really not close to any tourist destination and you probably are going to this city for work like I did so don't stay anywhere else but here. You will not regret it. I sound like the owner of this place but I am not connected to this facility in any way other than a guest.

The wireless internet is slow but that is my only complaint.

Every hotel should take a lesson from this place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business