I am a walking chamber of commerce for all things Mexican but this hotel has to be one of the worst I have been to in recent memory. The rooms themselves are fine - OK, ours had a dodgy WC flush, the faucet in the shower kind of hung off the wall, the coffee for the in-room machine was not replaced after the first day (when we'd used to 2 pouches provided) ... etc - that kind of thing - annoying but not critical.
The first really super irritating thing that happened was that we placed a wake up call ... that never came. When the clerk (who had taken the call at the front desk) - Ivan - was asked about this, denied he had ever spoken to us ... etc etc. Not a promising start. Thank goodness we were not trying to catch a flight or anything really important.
1. the personnel (nice enough, just clueless),
2. lack of a proper Executive Lounge (sorry guys, a sterile foyer type space with a few bits of furniture does not count)
3. lack of a functioning printer in the business center (actually it is non existent)
4. lack of key board on one of 3 available computers in the business lounge,
5. lack of more than one functioning computer on 2 of the days I was there,
6. plus one of the most dreadful hotel restaurants I have ever eaten in - ever (and I've been to my fair share of grotty ones).
Restaurant critique: (must add that we were desperate, it was a Sunday night and nothing else was open in a town of few choices to begin with - believe me when I say going to the hotel restaurant was the absolute last resort) includes
a. been given stale bread (there had been a wedding there 2 nights previously ... maybe it was left over?),
b. a salad made of wilted lettuce that even a rabbit would have turned back,
c. strawberries on the aforementioned salad (from a nearby town that is famous for them we were told) that tasted of soil.
d. Neither the wilted lettuce nor the fruit had been washed, I am absolutely dead certain.
e. We never have dessert but heck, everything else had been a disaster but it got better: they were out of the 3 choices we had picked out (being informed one after the other they were unavailable) and were told the final choice (at this point, choice #4 which was available) could not be made as the chef was leaving ... ARRGGHH !!
Anyway ! 3 stars for the room (it was fine, clean, spacious, the cleaning staff were very good)
and 1 star for everything else. There's very little choice in Salamanca, one of those sad towns between towns - ended up a great base for what we were doing tourism-wise (other than dreading going back there every night!) and the town itself has got to have one of the prettiest interiors of churches we have ever seen, on the main square (not the Parroquia, though that is pleasant enough), gold leaf galore - actually worth going to look at, even if for just a few moments. Also the people of Salamanca are very nice, very helpful - perhaps the hotel ought to be employing them ! All the employees we spoke to (approx 7-8) had been transplanted from other parts of the country.
I will never go back to that hotel including being under sever duress ! Enough said.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Salamanca, features 95 standard rooms and 8 honeymoon suites with Jacuzzi. We are the best hotel in town. Our 'Smart Rooms' come equipped with in room computer, high-speed Internet access, remote control suite lighting, air conditioning, open-close drapes, 32' flat screen TV, music, wake up calls and privacy. Our hotel also features meeting rooms available for up to 370 people, a business center, swimming pool, spa (beauty parlor, gym and hydromassage). Mexican gourmet restaurant, Deli and lobby bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Salamanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.