“Luxery”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cranage
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Luxery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have been on a four night stay B & B Lovely Hotel, Breakfast lovely and plenty of choice. Lovely open fire in one of the sitting rooms. Very large Hotel. Staff very friendly and obliging. Would recommend staying here to any one, and would stay here again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Bolton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had 2 nights here using the travelzoo £99 deal (the hotel offer similar going off a leaflet in reception). Right from the start I was impressed - on booking I was advised it was better value to take a 2nd night on same deal rather than add on a night of B&B as I planned - meaning we got 2 sets of attraction tickets, dinner both nights, 2 bottles of wine. Fantastic.
I did contact the hotel as a little concerned by a few negatives on here about rooms ... nobody wants to shell out to stay in a room that's not as nice as their own place after all!
Received a friendly response and reassured we'd be allocated a refurbished room. This was room 101, it was in a good location for accessing facilities and I'd recommend you ask for a room around here.
On arrival receptionist was very friendly, no problem that we were a little early. Good directions to room given, attraction tickets (tatton park an chester zoo) came in envelopes with information leaflets, booking for dinner taken, info about leisure faciltiies given, perfect first impression.
Room 101 was large, nicely furnished and quality bedding, curtains and towels. As someone else has mentioned the tea and coffee situation was a bit skinny but I have no doubts at all that had we asked for more supplies it would've been no problem. Biccies would be a nice and not costly touch though...
Bottle of wine included in deal came with a note saying if we'd prefer white contact the bar which I thought was good. Bathroom was clean, grout and corners needed attention as in many hotels, is hard to keep up with this sort of job i expect with hundreds of users a year.
Bath was tiny but excellent shower. Basic toiletries provided and replenished next day.
At dinner the restaurant is lovely, staff very friendly as they are throughout the hotel, we noticed this many times. Very good food although I don't recommend the gnocci, the rest was excellent. Plenty of people have mentioned the pricey drinks .... I doubt this will change as a lot of people here on expenses, but it is a real shame. Normally we'd sit in the lovely bar area and have 2 or 3 drinks after/before dinner, but the prices were prohibitative, meaning we returned to our wine in our room. (11.50 for a large but basic white wine and a pint of lager) As it goes the bar was quiet both nights... little wonder really.... and the reason i deducted a star here. Sorry.
Also having been offered 'water' in a jug at dinner the first night I noted it was on the bill as Harrogate mineral water. Never saw the bottle and was really disappointed to have this trick pulled on me, slightly marring an otherwise lovely meal. However , my fault I didn't query it, couldn't be bothered spoiling the stay.
Breakfast is outstanding here. Noted a specials menu outside the restaurant with things like french toast one day, kippers another. Also on the menu you can order different eggs, omelets with fillings, porridge as an addition to the buffet. Buffet was hot and fresh, good quality ingredients, small cleanlisness issue with the juice glasses the first morning and incidentally a spoon the night before... noticed at dinner 2nd night and breakfast the next morning everything was sparkling so I feel it was just a blip.
Staff were friendly throughout and helpful, bucket of ice provided on first night no problem, 2nd bottle of wine from travelzoo deal had to be requested but again, it was provided with a smile and an apology.
Finally, really enjoyed the pool , jacuzzi and sauna, Clean, well equipped changing rooms, and warmest swimming pool I have ever used. Lovely.

One last word... I can't get my head around some of the comments about the building. The corridors and rooms, public rooms and reception all blend together beautifully, so nicely furnished and decorated, you barely notice and once you are in your room I don't know what difference it makes as even in an old building your room should be to a certain standard. I've no real interest in architecture, true, but really, get over it, and get on with enjoying a break in a really well run hotel!

Room Tip: room 101 or thereabouts is handy for bar, restaurant, reception and is refurbed
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night on Hotel Shop deal for £89 which stated bed,breakfast, two course evening meal and bottle of wine in room. On arrival at hotel were informed that there was no meal in restaurant but a buffet meal in a conference type room. This was due to a wedding taking place. The buffet turned out to be better than first thought (there was a very good swing singer who was there for the duration of the evening) and with it being a buffet style meal you were not limited to two courses,but it would have been nice to have known what was on offer when booking the deal. The room was clean and spacious, large comfortable bed. There was tea/coffee making facilities as well as an iron and board. Good size en suite with plenty of hot water from the shower over a bath. The Wi Fi was OK but kept on dropping out. All the staff we encountered were pleasant, welcoming and attentive. There was plenty of parking. Overall a good deal.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Penrith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here on company training in March.I could not fault the hotel.
The standard of food and cleanliness was top notch.
The housekeeping,leisure centre and general hotel staff were very helpful and friendly.
I will return or use there other hotels .
Jocky.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and so pleased you had a great stay. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon to Cranage Hall. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
north wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We arrived not knowing what to expect, the deal we had was fantastic £99 with travel zoo.
Front of house 10
Staff dining room etc 10
Rooms 10
Food 10
Spa 10 even though they tried to play an April fool joke on me, that sums up the whole weekend, friendly
Over all experience 10
Whatever I say will not do it justice but I'll try
On arriving was given an extensive briefing on what was what explaining that we were in a different Restaraunt as there was a wedding on, to compensate this we had a singer on, fantastic.
We went to tattoo park on the Sunday which was part of the deal again fantastic
The only bad comment is I sound like a stuck record of praise, but hey if you look at any of my other reviews you will see I tell it as it is, and no not saying fantastic AGAIN
Will be returning here 100%

Stayed March 2013
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for the great review and highlighting the great service, product and value we offer. So pleased you will be returning soon. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
Bradford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We spent 2 nights here over easter and was sorely disappointed. The hotel pictures & description make it look like an old lovely hotel in the middle of huge grounds. It's not. The hotels rooms are in an added on section that is cheap and shabby, with wallpaper peeling off walls, and is really basic. The walls were so thin that you could also hear everything from the room next door. We didn't have enough coffee in the room for 2 cups each. When we read it was set in 20 acres we thought we'd be able to go for a nice walk, the only place we could go was a lap of the hotel. There wasn't enough car parking for everyone and lots of people parked on double yellow lines.

On the weekend we were there they didn't let you eat in the restaurant as they had given it over to weddings (on both nights) We were put in a function room with individual tables, and a singer, where we had to serve ourselves from a buffet. It reminded me of what I think butlins would be like. Surely if you have function rooms, these are the ones that a wedding use and hotels guests use the restaurant.

On the good side, the staff were friendly which is the only positive I can give it. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to friends and wouldn't go back

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VickyW123
Sorry we did not meet your expectations and will contact you direct to aplogise. We do have ample over spill car parking and great walks near by, so sorry we did not advise you of thier locations. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Visted this hotel after taking advantage of travelzoo deal that included dinner bed and breakfast , attraction tickets and a free bottle of wine in the room . Hotel was very busy when we visted with a wedding and a couple of big parties taking place. Had an excellent dinner in the evening staff in the dining room were very young but could not have been more helpful and attentive . Visted leisure centre which was very good . Had a few problems with the hotel wifi had to keep signing back in.Slight problem when booking out of hotel were overcharged but as soon as i pointed this out to the reception staff it was sorted out immediatley. Would not hesitate to visit again>

Room Tip: Ask for a room away fromthe main building as it is quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for a positive and constructive review which I will share with the team. So please you wont hesitate to come back. Kind Regards Richard Morrell General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranage
Crewe Hall
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#2 of 9 in Knutsford

Been to De Vere Cranage Estate? Share your experiences!