“Good quality hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cranage
Cumbria
“Good quality hotel”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed at hotel for a two day course,good location just off M6 junction 18.Found food of good quality,rooms clean and toiletries supplied.Bar prices expensive.Leisure club has some very good equipment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for your review so pleased you enjojed your stay and highlighted our great food quality. Richard Morrell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I'm not sure how to review this and perhaps should show as two separate reviews; one for the wedding itself and one for the hotel as a large group of us stayed the night prior and the night of the wedding.
The staff looking after us for the wedding were brilliant, the meal was fantastic, and the wedding itself went without a hitch.
The evening prior to the wedding we all had a meal which was expensive and most of us left it.
Check out was a farce as most of the bills were wrong - meals that had been paid cash and rooms that were prepaid were added; only 2 persons on reception - not good.
We were told we had preferential rates for the stay (£79 B & B single occupancy) and yet there was on display much better offers.
So all in all great wedding but take care with everything else

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HelenB22
Thank you for the review. So pleased the wedding was a great day and our team added to this
with our high level of quality and service.
Sorry for the confusion over the prepaid bill which was a breakdown in communication between
all. The staffing levels were fine, it was the invoice query which caused the slight delay on check out.
The rate was preferential, the slightly cheaper rate you refer too did not include breakfast for two guests. Our Food pricing is quite reasonable with the average main course £15.00 and our food is seasonal local and freshly cooked. Many apologies for not meeting your expectations with some aspects of your stay but overall exceeded most. Richard Morrell General Manager
poynton
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband booked this and i wish he had read the reviews first.
He booked an executive room which overlooked the landscaped grounds, read, just a field with some oaktrees and the M6 on the horizon (room 124), we had a fridge with water that should have been replenised every day but wasnt.
About the room, yes it was of a good size but everything else was tiny, TV too small to have a good vieuw from the bed, wardrobe, yet again very tiny, only 5 hangers so we had clothes all over the chairs, no where to put your suitcase either. Now than, the executive bathroom... never have been in such a small bathroon, tiny washbasin, tiny toilet and if you were thinking of have a leisurely bath in your executive bathroom... well forget it, the bath was so small you could only sit in it!!

Restaurant (canteen), first of all there is no atmospheer what so ever (neither has the bar area but thats optional), cheap glasses, cheap cutlery, paper serviettes, no bread basket. We went the first evening, my husband asked for a steak medium to rare and got medium to very well done with a stack of chips (doorstoppers) and half a grilled tomato, no vegetables what so ever, if it wasn't for me he would have eaten it, but send it back and got a half decent steak. i had catch of the day, could have been any fish on a bed of noodles, still no vegetable, we all could have this at a pub but at half the price. No surprise we didn't go back the next evening!.

Breakfast, 1st morning i went for the full english, enough choice however.. plates where not warm (and they were kept in a plate warmer which obviously wasn' working) neither was the food and we were there before 9 am, doesnt bare thinking about what it was like after that, so yet another disappointment. Also with al 5 tables occupied i had to go and find the waitress to ask where i could find the tea, were as she said "oh I'll get it for you".

Breakfast next morning. I dont like cold breakfast so I ordered 2 soft boiled eggs, which i got..
couldn't peel them because they were still raw!!!! asked for another 2 soft boiled eggs and after 15 minutes waiting the waitress came to take my plate away. No i'm not finished, still waiting for my boiled eggs which she did get to me, they were ok but by that time my husband had finished his luke warme breakfast and i just had enough of our so called romantic weekend break at Cranage Hall, what a waist of time and money!!
Haven't even mentioned the spa etc but wont go into that, if you still wish to go, find out for yourself.

Room Tip: just dont bother!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank carlaPoynton
Any future guest concerned about this review please contact me direct 01477536666 and I will be delighted to personally reassure you the above expereince is not the norm and thousands of guests leave Cranage Hll everyweek receiving a great experience and great value for money.
Richard Morrell General Manager
Newcastle under Lyme
Reviewed November 2, 2012

A disappointing 1st experience staying at this Hotel ,
The front facade of the main entrance to the hotel is beautiful however ! the rest of the hotel is very corperate & lacks the same atmosphere .
( although complaint has now been dealt with with an upgraded room including wine & breakfast ) it will be our last visit !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Check in experience was a bit mixed, two staff dealing with one guest and ignoring me for a while, once spoken to was checked in efficiently.
Very long walk to room and I don't think I was as far away from main building as it was possible to be.
Tried to order room service to be told I would have to pay cash, no offer from restaurant to authorise my card, I was told I would have to walk to reception to do so, called reception to check, they did it over the phone.
When the food arrived it looked OK but I don't think I have ever had a tougher and tasteless steak.
Did not bother with breakfast, I would stay here again but would not bother with the food again.
The room was nice and comfortable, both it and the bathroom were clean but the bathroom felt a bit dated.

Room Tip: Ask to be as near to reception as possible unless you fancy a good walk.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chesterfield
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Cranage Hall on 1st September 2012 for our 11th wedding anniversary and my husband's birthday that falls on the same day. Cranage Hall is the worst hotel we have ever stayed at and our experience here ruined our celebrations. I won't go into every detail but...
Firstly the service for our evening meal was appaulling. We waited 40minutes, yes that is correct, 40 minutes for a burger and wedges, that was nothing more than you would expect to be served at at two for one pub! Certainly not what we expected at Cranage Hall. I personally spent hours looking at hotels for our stay and after a lot of browsing decided on Cranage Hall, to be served this poor food and have such bad service, ruined our weekend.
We did complain and was told that we could have the bottle of wine we had during our meal free of charge, we didn't drink the wine anyway as it was awful.
The reason we were given was that the menu had changed that night...that would be a fine excuse if when we entered the restaurant , it had been busy. However, there were only three tables taken, including ours! Not exactly rushed off their feet at all.
I did make a complaint to the hotel and the manager Richard, did telephone me up on 4th Septemeber to personally apologise and informed me that he would refund the cost of our meal, which was £50 and also send out to my husband and I a 'special discounted' offer to stay at the hotel again, to prove that the service we received was not what Cranage Hall is about.
We are still waiting for the refund nearly two months later! How about the for customer service, definately top notch wouldn't you agree.
This so called special offer was never received either, although we would never return to this hotel or any of the hotels in the chain. I was informed last month that if I wanted to take up this offer, I needed to inform them, this might I add was only mentioned when I complained about the lack of refund...which like I have said we are still waiting for.
I would advise people to stay elsewhere and not waste their money staying at this hotel. We had stayed in Manchester the previous night at the Hilton, this was in a class off it's own and puts Cranage Hall to shame, I wish we had stayed there on both nights instead of being subjected to the Cranage Hall experience and spending my anniversary night in tears!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
I am so sorry that you have not received your refund. I did explain on the telephone we issue refund cheques within ten working days and this was processed mid september and posted too you. Clearly you did not receive it but we would have resent it much sooner if informed.
We have now cancelled the lost cheque and re-issued and this will be sent by registered post.
Many apologies again for the delay with your food and refund which was a rare but genuine oversight by the team.

Richard Morrell General Manager
Vancouver
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

The conference part of the hotel is modern and feels completely different from the nursing home feel, bar doesn't suit the Country hall aesthetic and let's itself down massively with food that doesn't meet the budget standards of somewhere like Premier Inn. Plenty of potential, seriously questionable execution!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your review and will call you direct for more detail feedback. Richard Morrell General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranage
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Mottram St. Andrew
Chimney House Hotel
Chimney House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sandbach

Been to De Vere Cranage Estate? Share your experiences!