“Up market travel lodge”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cranage
London
“Up market travel lodge”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

All of the photos show a beautiful country manor hotel, but you will probably end up staying in the new purpose build extension. Corridors and rooms just like any motorway travel lodge. The main building is very nice with a good leisure centre, which has friendly and helpful staff, much unlike the reception desk.
On arrival I felt unwelcomed, the receptionist did not give me directions to me room, did not mention the additional entrances or any details of the leisure centre, breakfast or dinner, the guest who checked in before me also noticed this and were all left wondering around the bar area looking for signs of where to go. We had a value break and only paid £65 per night, so not too bad, but if I had paid the full price for a room the other end of the building I would not have been happy

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank wcwLondon
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Many apologies for the welcome and not meeting your expectations on arrival. I think though it is a little unfair to describe Cranage Hall as a "upmarket travelodge".
Noting leisure club , recently refurbished modern Tempus Bar and Restaurant, complimentary car parking, 24hr room service, excellent grounds "I could go on!" are not usualy found at a Travelodge. The only comparison is the price offering great value.
Richard Morrell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
uk
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Hotelshop £99 DB&B break including a bottle of wine in room on arrival.
Great value made even better by the wonderful staff at Cranage Hall, warm and
welcoming.
This hotel is a conference hotel, spa breaks and wedding specialist but dont
let this put you off a night away.
Situated not far from Junction 18 M6, Tatton Park, Jodrall bank not far away,
Cheshire countryside on the doorstep.
Main building impressive, rooms seem to go along for ever in extension but
are pleasant and quite large by todays standards.
Food of a high standard, served with a smile. Breakfast a delight of fresh fruits,
one of the best buffets Ive come across.
Drinks prices as expected in hotel, £4 glass of wine.
All in all we were happy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lyndagrant
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Your review sums Cranage Hall to perfection. Great value and great service. Look forward to
welcoming you back soon. Richard Morrell General Manager
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Booked on Great Little Breaks great value (£99 DBB for 2 and bottle of wine on arrival)
Principal Hayley Policy if wanting to charge to your room is poor, they insist on authorising £50 which we were told would be charged to your credit card even when we paid cash or by debit card on departure and that it would be refunded within 5 days which is not good business practice and perception it would appear as a means of making additional money from the customer, and working within a customer service environment this is unacceptable and not a good customer experience.
Have stayed previously and overall with the exception of above, lovely hotel, rooms acceptable for everyones needs,
In the restaurant there is a row for what appears for couples but tables are very close and virtually able to share conversation.
Spa treatments- only contact telephone number no treatment list available to view.
Changing rooms for pool area a little tired in need of refurbishment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Thank you for your constructive comments but would point out there is no charge made to credit or debit cards just an authoristion which is standard practice in the industry.
Tempus Restaurant does have a great atmosphere and there are tables to suit all moods. Sorry no spa list in your room.
So pleased overall you enjoyed and look forward to welcoming you back to Cranage Hall.
Richard Morrell General Manager
Staffordshire
Reviewed April 25, 2012

The main old building and grounds are very impressive on first approaching, the house is warm and welcoming and it has a couple of relaxing, tastefully decorated lounge areas where you can just sit and chill out, however, most of the rooms are in the new annexed building which isn't as impressive! I stayed here with my mum for 3 nights as a midweek short break, and after reading some of the reviews decided to ask for a quiet room when we arrived! Tip - Request a room on the upper floor overlooking the fields at the back of the hotel, instead of the car park out the front. The room was clean and adequate but nothing special - it could have done with an extra bedside table (the empty space indicated that there was one there at some point, but it looked like it had been nicked!) more than one pillow (which housekeeping did provide a few more of, to be fair) and the decor freshening up a bit - although this didn't spoil our stay.
This hotel's business seems to be mainly weddings at weekends and conferences in the week, so if you want a quiet, relaxing break it's probably best to avoid the Saturday night wedding parties! We stayed Sunday to Wednesday resulting in minimal noise and a good night's sleep.
The best thing for me about the hotel was the Leisure Club - staff were very friendly and attentive, and the pool area was clean and all in working order, however, the gym was rather small but it did the job. The BIG selling point about Principal Hayley hotels for me would have to be that it is one of the few hotel chains that restricts the use of the pool/spa area to adults only (children's splash times only a few hours at the weekend). This is a big plus for all you couples/friends/adult family members out there that want to be able to do a few relaxing lengths in the pool without fighting off inflatables - quite a luxury!
Didn't make use of the restaurant or bar but there's a good choice of eateries in Holmes Chapel a mile down the road - The George and Dragon is highly recommended.
PROS - Leisure Club/Staff. Good base for sightseeing and alternative eating places and pubs are close by if you're not keen on paying the hotel prices.
CONS - Rooms are a bit tired - need redecorating.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floor overlooking the fields at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
St Helens
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I recently spent two nights at Cranage Hall Holmes Chapel. A very impressive drive up to the hotel and the beautiful exterior are really something. Checking in was fine, if a but lacking in warmth and welcome. The gentleman in friont of us was enthusing about it being his son's wedding that his party was attending, the receptionist couldn't have cared less and was quite dismissive. Our room was in the new part of the hotel and was comfortable with all the amenities we needed. We had booked the hotel because of a good deal o the web and so no breakfast was included-not a problem as we were only a short drive away from Knutsford and Holmes Chapel centre. We found a real gem hidden away down an alley in Knutsfords where we had a superb breakfast-a little coffee shop that was more of a penny farthig museum-The staff there were marvellous-food to die for-and such a unique eating experience-surrounded by bikes! They were even hanging off the ceiling. We did eat in the bar at Cranage Hall and the food was lovely. Rob, the bar manager looked after us on the occasions we were in there and couldn't have done m,ore to make our visit a success. We were able to use the leisure facilities and they were excellent-indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room,sauna and spa. We had a relaxing time and enjoyed our short stay.

Room Tip: all rooms looked the same to me -there may be some more 'luxurious' ones in the 'old...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dianne J
aliwack1, General Manager at De Vere Cranage Estate, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
So pleased you had a relaxing stay and I will ensure reception in future always deliver our normal high level of customer care including a very warm welcome. Richard Morrell General Manager
Cheshire
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I have just stayed here again (under protest after the Christmas party 2011 stay) . This time was for my sisters wedding so I had no choice. My complaint is that I rang the reservations line and asked for 2 rooms to be reserved for my family as part of the wedding party. I was told that it would be £65 per room with breakfast. When we checked out we were charged £150 but didnt read the bill until we got home. I telephoned the hotel direct and was told that it IS £65 per room but only for single occupancy in a double room? When there are two people it goes up £10?! Ive never heard of that. Surely its either per room or per person? Another disappointment.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
I have reviewed your reservation and confirmation which clearly stated £75 for double occupancy when booking and was the agreed rate with your sister. It is quite normal and fair to charge a liitle more for two persons in a room noting extra breakfast cost.
This is normal across the hotel industry. Richard Morrell General Manager
Scotland
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed here with my partner and 12 year old daughter for two nights. Before arriving I read the reviews on here and to be honest I feel some of them are a bit harsh. To me the hotel had good and bad points.

The hotel sits in impressive grounds and the main original building is lovely but I have to agree with other reviewers the extension to the sides and back of the building is ugly and reminded me of a care home. So the positives, staff very friendly and obliging, bedroom was clean and functional to a point (read on), breakfast was a buffet and dinner a la carte both were okay. Leisure facilities I used (gym) was fine.

The negatives, the room walls are paper thin and you literally can hear everything happening next door! The layout of the hotel is very confusing, room numbering is odd and it takes time to work out how to navigate your way around. The hotel bar is extortionate, £12 for two drinks! We were told the bedroom had a safety deposit box, if it did it was so safe we could not find it. The radiators in the room are very noisy we ended turning the heating off on the first night. There was no wardrobe rather it was a shelving type unit and only had five hangers which was not ideal. On attempting to use the pool on the first day we were advised by the leisure attendant that children were only allowed in the pool for one hour a day I think between 3 and 4, I understand the need for a policy but it was poorly advertised and it left my daughter disappointed and my partner and I a tad frustrated. Would I stay here again? No it was okay no more no less.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Newsatten
Thank you for your constructive review. I have reviewed our advertising of splash times for children noting these are two hours on a weekend day in the afternoon not one. The wardrobe design is to allow guests more space.
The safe is located in the wardrobe. Our bar prices have increased due to the recent budget but are no more expensive than other four star hotels.
Thanks for the nice comments about staff, food and facilities
Richard Morrell General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranage
Crewe Hall
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#2 of 9 in Knutsford

Been to De Vere Cranage Estate? Share your experiences!