“Relaxing and adventurous”
Review of Kannur Beach House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kannur
Kannur Beach House
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Kannur
San Luis Obispo, California
“Relaxing and adventurous”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was here one year ago and had to come back! The nearby beach is nice and the next beach (15 minutes walking distance) is supreme, endless white sandy beach, swimming is easy and safe, the water always warm. You can walk on small pathways through the jungle, you can take out the canoe and explore the lagoon with its many birds and plants. Or you take a walk to the nearby little village and temple and from there take a local bus to the buzzing town Kannur, famous for its textiles. And when you come back you hang out in a hammock in the garden, watch the sunset, later enjoy the wonderful dinner. Every meal is served in a big variety of different home style dishes, one tastier than the other. Rosi and Nazir who run the place are very friendly and helpful and know everything about the nearby places to visit. I met some really nice people there. As all the guests are sitting together at one big table for the meals there are lots of possibilities to have great conversations. It's a wonderful place to be and I will be back for sure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My sister and I arrived at Kannur Beach House in december 2012 and were straight away greated in a friendly way by the owners. I wanted to come to this home stay because I had heard rumours about their good homemade food. And, I was not disappointed; the first night we got served crab curry and fried fish, many vegetarian dishes, rice and gapatis and a light dessert. Every meal the food was a delight which is important if one is a foody like me. The food is lightly spicy so it works for all sorts of ages, also children. The guest house is set in the most beautiful setting, with a lagoon and almost private beach right in front of the rooms. I had had a stressful autumn and was finally able to relax when I came to this place, not just because of the food and the surroundings but also because of the warmth and hospitality of the hosts. A definate and big yes!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Macugnaga, Italy
Reviewed February 3, 2013

In response to an earlier comment, although we too weren't able to stay at Kannur Beach House because of its popularity, our dealings with Rosi (from Kannur Beach) were very clear and straightforward. We had emailed Kannur Beach to find if a room was available for the first week in January 2013. Rosi replied that they were unfortunately fully booked but offered to check if her neighbours had any availability. She got back to us with an address but made clear, that, while the people who ran the homestay were very pleasant, she couldn't make a recommendation either way. She sent details of their website. It was their first year in offering accommodation. We did stay there. It was fairly basic and the food the kind you would expect in a Keralan home; but the family were delightful and the location only a couple of hundred metres, through palms, to the beach. We had a great time. Rosi's help was invaluable. The Kannur Beach House itself looks wonderful.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Kunnar Beach House is the perfect homestay. The food, hospitality and location were all truely wonderful, the best we experienced in Kerala.
During our stay, Rosi and Nazir made us feel very welcome and couldn't do enough for us in organising trips or answering queries. The food was by far the best we had in Kerala. Fresh, tasty, varied and plentiful.
The location was fantastic, part beach and part backwater. We loved taking the little canoe out in the morning and evening to explore the backwater near the house.
The rooms were very comfortable and clean with wonderful views of the beach and backwater.
We met some lovely people while we were there, many of whom were regulars who had been coming back for years. We miss it already and are coming back next year.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We spent an idyllic 4 days recently at Kannur Beach House. It was comfortable and the food was plentiful and delicious. The bathing was safe, unlike many other stretches of this coast, and the beach was very clean. We would return here without hesitation.

Norfolk, England
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had hoped and expected that this, my 100th review, would have been a positive one. Alas, it was not to be.

Having contacted Kannur Beach house by e-mail on 9/6/12 and not had a response, on 14/6/12 I made my booking through Hostelbookers on 14/6/12 for four nights over Christmas as their website indicated that there was one room available, and received a confirmation from Hostelbookers of my booking..

On 24/6/12 I finally received an e-mail from Kannur Beach House apologising for the delay and stating that they were full – I thought nothing of this, as I had booked the last remaining room ten days earlier through Hostelbookers

On 22/9/12 I e-mailed Kannur Beach House, to let them know that I was a vegetarian and that we would be arriving very early in the morning and was told that “your booking with Hostelbookers gives a room in the annexe” rather than the main house. I was not overly concerned about this, the dictionary definition of ‘annexe’ being “a building which is joined to or next to a larger main building”

On Christmas morning we arrived at the property at breakfast time after being on a sleeper train all night and met Rosie, the owner. She told us that there was no room in her actual property and that hostelbookers had overbooked it. She stated that when this happens it is her “policy” to book people into a nearby property. I told her that she had e-mailed me in September, stating that we would be in the “annexe”. She stated that she thought of the other property as an annexe and that if we wanted to book any trips to local attractions during our stay, she would be able to help us. I was a little taken aback by the situation, feeling that we should have been informed of the true circumstances when making the original booking, but having not slept all night, I just wanted to lie down and sleep. After waiting for a few minutes, the children of the owner of the other property came and we followed them with our heavy luggage for about seven minutes, through a forested area and up some steps to the other property. Whilst it was OK, it was clearly not of the standard of Kannur Beach House, as it did not have any of the following features: No English speaking host, No terraces or balconies attached to the rooms, no views looking over the river, lagoon and sea, no use of a boat, not close enough to the sea to hear the sound of waves, no wifi. I had also chosen Kannur Beach House having read tripadvisor reviews indicating that there was a very convivial vibe there, with the guests creating something of a houseparty atmosphere. As we were staying over Christmas, I was looking forward to this, but it was lacking at the second property. Furthermore, the forested area that we had to walk through to reach the property was often occupied by local dogs and although the majority of them seemed friendly, I was surrounded by an aggressive pack of four dogs on one occasion and another guest was actually attacked and only escaped when she threw her bag at them.

Had we been informed, ideally at the first opportunity in June that we had been reserved rooms in a completely different property with no real connection to Kannur Beach House, or even in September when I contacted them by e-mail, we would have made other arrangements and stayed at another property of OUR choosing, but having not known the true situation until when we arrived on Christmas day, we had little choice but to stay in the other property, which was adequate, but not what we had booked 6 months previously. To call the other property their "annexe" is extremely misleading to say the least. On contacting Hostelbookers on our return to the UK, they immediately refunded our deposit, accepting that we had not received what we had booked and told us that they would be investigating what happened with Kannur Beach House.

I have rated this review as 'poor' rather than 'terrible' as from the outside at least, Kannur Beach House looked lovely and the rooms must have had wonderful views - just a shame that I didn't get to view them

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HouseByTheBeach, Owner at Kannur Beach House, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
We thank the reviewer for the rating and offer our sincere apologies for the distress and also for the misunderstanding of the word ‘Annex’.

In our first mail to them we said that we do not have the availability and gave them some options to stay in the locality, listing out some places. Despite this they chose to book in with us through HostelBookers and left us with no choice but to put them in the Annex for the period. At no point were they misled.

At the annex we have accommodated many of the last minute/walk-in guests. According to the agreement we have with Hostel Bookers, when we don't have a room for the guest booked through them -- ".. in the unlikely event of a booking not being honoured you would either refund the guest the 10% payment made to HostelBookers or find alternative accommodation" (HostelBookers Terms and Conditions).

About the other complaints:
The other guests who stayed at the Annex have used our canoe, came by to us with their questions, sat in our garden and occasionally had tea with us. But we accept the choice of this reviewer to ignore us and the hospitality we offered and implying our intention to help as ‘book tours' for them.

The fact that the annex had a room for the reviewer when they arrived quite early in the morning, for them to sleep, was a bonus, in most places they would have had to wait till 12 noon to get a bed. And also for the fact that for all the 'facilities' the annex did not have - they were charged much less for full board than the tariff they were quoted for their booking. And added to this they managed a refund from HostelBookers.

The forest mentioned by the reviewer is the natural palm groves all around here and by no means was this place a 7 minute walk - this was hardly 150 meters. We are sorry about the stray dogs and we are working with all our neighbors to contain the problem. The dogs don't particularly target the 'Annex' guests.

If the reviewer had cared to believe the owner about the availability right at the beginning it could have saved what turned out to be a disappointment for all concerned.
Scotland
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I agree with all the positive points made by earlier reviewers. Simple but very clean comfortable rooms; delightful hosts; excellent food; congenial meals around one table; two lovely beaches, canoeing up the backwater. One couldn't ask for more. We hope to be back.