“Old fashioned hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Kannur
Mountain View, California
“Old fashioned hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

On my way to Arya Vaidyasala for treatment I stopped by at Asokam for five nights (Dec 12-17). The non-ac cottage exceeded my expectations. The resident doctor Dr. Altaf impressed me with his simple nature and professional integrity. Pavitran had better massage hands than anything I have experienced during the last ten years for Kerala style massage. Jobish and Paul provided the best caliber of support and care. Seema, Sumitra and Karna did their bits to spoil me. Yes, the sea was serene and the air was clean and everything was so quiet and peaceful.... Something intangible, mystifying and calming about this place! The unassuming Naveen gets a lot of credit for its spiritual richness.

WiFi was not accessible from my cottage, so I had to come to the garden for Internet access. The food from the local restaurant was full of grease and spices and generally unappetizing. From the second day onward Naveen arranged to get their internal home cooked food for me, and I have to say this was one of the best tasting, wholesome food I have ever had. Naveen gave me a tour of their medicine factory which was a good learning experience for me. Naveen and Paul made sure I was comfortably seated in my train to Kochi.
I would return to this place because it is so unpretentious and genuine.

Room Tip: if you are like me (e.g. I avoid using Air Conditioning in home or car), then the non-ac cottages ar...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank HimanshuRath
NaveenPavithran, Owner at Asokam Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Mr. Himanshu,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at Asokam during your recent visit to Kannur.

We are delighted to receive your review through TripAdvisor and to note that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel.

Your generous compliments have been shared with Dr, Althaf, Jobish, Pavithran, Paul and Seema for whom it will be a tremendous source of inspiration.

We look forward to your return visit in January 2014.

Warm regards,
NAVEEN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Asokam is a very well managed beach resort with beautiful landscaping. The fan room has the feel of a cozy beach cottage. The a/c room is oh-so-pleasant in the heat and a big generator ensures no break in power. Ordering food is a bit of a bother, always right after a meal to allow time for delivery, but it works and the food is mostly good. Service is excellent (thank you, Paul and other staff!) and the beach beautiful and often deserted.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank DanskeDina
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Asokam and for sparing your valuable time for sharing your feedback through TripAdvisor.

Your feedback of our service is a great matter of pride for us and inspires the team.

The team and I, look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Asokam.

Warm regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at Asokam for 10 days in January, mainly as I wanted a week's Ayurvedic treatment. I had checked it out online first, and it seemed to be of a good standard. I was not to be disappointed. My treatment was overseen by an Ayurvedic doctor, who proposed a plan of two treatments per day plus a dietary cleanse for 5 days. I was apprehensive about this at first but I have to say that Asokam is the perfect place to do this. They are so attentive to your needs and prepare everything for you on schedule so you don't even have to think about it. The cleanse meals I was given were more than adequate and I was never hungry. This, combined with the amazingly good Ayurvedic massage made me feel like a Princess, which was really lovely, as I had arrived very run down and really needed a break. I went to Asokam for rejuvenation, not for any specific ailment, but I met a number of people there for medical treatment who were very happy with their results. My treatment was great at the time but what really delighted me was the fact that I felt the benefits of it for at least a month after returning home.

I booked one of the non ac fan huts for the duration of my stay and was very happy with it. The bed was comfy and the room spotlessly clean. I also had a private balcony so could eat and relax in privacy when I felt like it.

Last but not least, a big mention has to go to the owner, Naveen, and his wonderful staff. Naveen is a lovely man who really does take a personal interest in his guests and their happiness. He has a small team in place there but they are always smiling and always on hand and very happy to help. So many thanks to Jobish and Paul too.

If you are looking to get away from it all or some excellent Ayurvedic treatment I would have no hesitation in recommending Asokam. You will be looked after beautifully and leave feeling healthier and happier as a result. Thanks again.

Room Tip: The non ac fan huts were characterful and very comfortable. Great beds, good value and spotlessly c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Suzanna70uk
NaveenPavithran, Owner at Asokam Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Suze

We are delighted to receive your review through TripAdvisor and to note that you had a wonderful experience rejuvenating and relaxing at our hotel.

Your generous compliments have been shared with Mr. Jobish and Paul for whom it will be a tremendous source of inspiration. Not to mention abt me too :) Thank you.

I do hope that you have the opportunity visit us again in the not too distant future.

Warm regards, NAVEEN
Pondicherry, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at Asokam last week with my family. My kids loved the ambiance of the place and loved to roam around and cycle inside the resort. Good quality of food, excellent guest service by the staff, and very reasonable pricing for rooms.

We will definitely choose to stay at Asokam when we are at Kannur next time!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Shankar D
NaveenPavithran, Owner at Asokam Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at ASOKAM and for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to receive your wonderful feedback and to note that, you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

The team and I, look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had planned our trip to this place by relying on the trip advisor reviews and we were not disappointed at all.
Travellers in India generally plan thier stay in the backwaters when it comes to travelling to Kerala, but we wanted to try something different.
This place is so calm and relaxing. The is one of the best beaches in india according to me and it is only few steps away from the resort.
The payyambalam beach is so clean and secluded from other beaches in Kannur.
The staff were also very helpful and arranging whatever we had requested for.

The Ayruvedic massages were very relaxing and felt rejuvenated.

Thanks to the Staff who made our stay very pleasant.

Room Tip: Superior AC room is advisable if you wish to get a beautiful view of the sunset.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Deepak S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Asokam Beach Resort and for sparing your valuable time for sharing your feedback through TripAdvisor.

The team and I, look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to ASOKAM.

Warm regards
Naveen
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The small size and personal touch of the owner and the staff make this a resort with a very friendly feeling. Coming here for the first time you feel like you are among friends. The ever smiling Paul who's always zipping around makes sure everyone is comfortable. Even the owner Mr Naveen is so unassuming and down to earth, you would not believe that he's the MD of a 100 year old Ayurvedic company. A lovely place, only be sure to book well in advance since there are only 8 rooms.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are best as they face a very beautiful, peaceful beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank aparags
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback pertaining to Asokam, on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to receive your encouraging feedback and to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your continued patronage. Needless to say I am humbled by your comments!

Warm Regards,
Naveen
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was without a doubt the most relaxing place I stayed in India. Right across the road from a beautiful long beach that was great to go for walks on. I wasn't there for the ayurveda but really just as a nice place to relax. The staff are all fantastic. Beautiful service and they are all really happy to be working there. The food situation does take a bit of getting used to but is ok. The room was lovely and had everything i needed. Naveen the owner also took me and another guest on a complimentary tour of his ayurverdic medicine factory which was extremely interesting. I also liked Kannur town - compared to a lot of busy places in India this place had a really nice vibe.

Room Tip: Seafront doesn't mean sea view as there is a bush blocking the view but it is still lovely as yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Nikki77Sydney
NaveenPavithran, Owner at Asokam Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Nikki it was a pleasure to meet you at ASOKAM. We are glad you enjoyed our hospitality and look forward to your future visits. Thanks and Best Regards - Naveen