“Four days in Paradise!”

Ranked #1 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Kannur
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Four days in Paradise!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed 4 nights in Chera Rocks. I have to say it is the most amazing beach location any of us have ever stayed in!!! A little hard to find if you don't know where it is but that's part of the charm because you are on a totally secluded and beautiful beach! The sea is the perfect temperature and the beach is lovely with only a couple of fishermen dotted around occasionally. We stayed in the deluxe rooms … they are lovely and spacious. As previous reviewers have stated you don't need a/c because the breeze coming off the indian ocean straight in front of the cottage keeps you cool! The food is amazing and the hosts are wonderful and will help you with any questions you have. There is free wifi (wind dependent … seriously!) if you want to keep in touch with the outside world (or just make them jealous). To be honest we didn't really go anywhere else because it's so lovely there is no need! We really wished we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend the deluxe rooms!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bijoubreak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the resort from January 14 to January 18th, 2014 and we had a great time which we will never forget.

Let me begin by saying that the best thing about the Chera Rocks is the beach. Its location is excellent and quite possibly the best location along the entire stretch of sand in the area because it faces the Arabian Sea on two sides. The other benefit of the beach is that it is basically your own beach! There may be a few other people on the beach (who are staying at the resort) or some local fishermen but you never really notice anyone else on the beach. It’s great for just relaxing and lazing on the beach!

The other great aspect of the Chera Rocks is the staff. Nivedh, and his father, own the property and he was on site all time. He was very eager to assist us in whatever we wanted to do and he made sure to arrange for auto rickshaws and direct us to places that he thought we may want to visit. For example, he told us about a Thyyam Celebration that was occurring, a Weaver’s Co-operative, and the Kerala Dinesh Beedie Factory – all of which were fairly close-by. One of the other things that I really appreciated is that when we made our booking, he took our reservation and he also arranged for a driver to pick us up at the Kannur Train Station – all without any payment and just on our word.

Some of the other highlights for me included:
• The Food – all of the meals were served outdoors either in an open air cabana or outside under the stars. We loved every meal that we were served, especially the meals served on banana leaf! Nivedh, I would suggest all meals be served on banana leaf!
• The Cottages – we stayed in the cottages that were slightly away from the main guest house, which I liked as it was more secluded. The cottages are basic but all you really need when you’re a beach bum!
• The Staff – all of the staff were very friendly, hard workers and eager to assist.
• Fishermen and local people – it was interesting to see the fishermen and also the local people living and working close by – on a couple of evenings we watched local kids play cricket and football on the beach.
• Scenery and Smells – Beautiful – a tropical paradise with coconut trees, hibiscuss flowers and spices in the air!

The only criticisms that we had were the following:
• Our beds were hard – But we later found out that the mattresses could have been flipped over if we would have said something to the staff
• Although we loved the food, sometimes the meals were not as hot as we would have liked, probably because it was being served outdoors

One thing to note is that there is mosque located right behind the new cottages and there is call to prayer every few hours. Initially, we were a little surprised at how close it was to our cottage but eventually we grew to appreciate the call to prayer.

All in all, I loved Chera Rocks – its unspoiled, beautiful and very welcoming. I would definitely go back if I am fortunate to visit Kerala – God’s Own Country – again!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ronuk123
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The magic of this place called us back and we were not disappointed, same room overlooking the beach, same wonderful welcome and real home cooking - what more could a soul want? Yes the approach is unusual and it is advisable to limit your luggage because of the steps but who needs more than a towel, a pair of trunks and a T-shirt? We have stayed in many properties across India and each has its own charm but this one feels like home and deserves to be popular.
Each day starts with a stroll over to the fishing boats to see what the night catch has brought and from then on the day stretches before you with time to unwind, particularly welcome if you have arrived via the rail network! Your every need will be attended to by Ali, with his ever present smile, but do take time to say hello to the rest of the staff. Would we return? Yes our booking for 2015 is already in their diary.

Room Tip: Superior rooms have the best view and meals are served on your veranda. There is no A/C but with the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GibBob
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Chera Rock Beach House dissolves your cares and worries into a golden haze and is perfect if you want to unwind, kick your shoes off and spend your time lazing away your days connecting with nature. This is the place. The location is breath-taking.

The backbone of this magical place is held together by an amazing, hard-working team. Expertly working behind the scenes to make your stay as comfortable and relaxing as they can. This is definitely 5* service here, with incredibly polite, friendly and helpful staff. Wise, honest, reliable and caring owners (Nivedh and his dad Shree) who cannot do enough to support you with your needs, all you have to do is ask.

The location and the expert service somehow make you feel as though you have come home, it's a truly heart-warming experience. I am someone who likes to have my time to myself and what I love about this place is that I can do just that. Yet, when I want a coffee or a drink it's waiting for me...

I have stayed at Chera Rock Beach House twice before, once in 2010 and last year in conjunction with the Walk your Talk retreats weeks they hold there. I have stayed in all of the rooms and eaten their delicious food many times. I love the fact that they continue to experiment and try many different dishes so you never become bored. My favourite dish is prawns mouli, if you are into fish I def advise asking to try it. My favourite room is room number 3 you can get wi-fi inside the room and have a hammock on your doorstep as well as the sea.

What's great is that the staff and owners at Chera Rock are consistently looking to improve and ask for constructive feedback regularly. I recently suggested getting some softer pillows and the next thing I had them.

You won't be disappointed if you choose this as a place to stay in North Kerala, you will feel as though you have found treasure and want to keep it a secret.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VanessajT
Dharamsala
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I reserved a room by telephone then walked the long beach to the resort arriving late. Manager said he'd no rooms then 2 rooms then again no rooms. It was dark and no other accommodation nearby so I said I'd post a tripadvisor review, then he said he's 1 room. Dishonest to optimise profit. As the resort is in high demand and I was to stay 1 night alone and without use of the spa.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Billy85
Heart of England
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Overseen by manager Nivedh, this little patch of paradise is tucked well and truly out of the way - the chances of happening upon it by accident are virtually nil. You can drive to the end of a narrow road and alight from your car, and then descend steps through the trees to this amazing collection of rooms. Each room overlooks and borders one of two beaches separated by a sand spit and the rocks.

Food is fantastic, staff helpful. If you like beaches it is superb; if you like tranquility it is superb. I would like to have been warned that there would be a short call for prayer at 5.40 from the mosque that lies next to the resort - but it is easy enough to turn over and go back to sleep.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RamblinGourmet
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 19, 2014

So serene ....secluded ...tucked away from the maddening crowd ....... walk on the beach under the moonlit sky in the middle of the night ... relaxing on the dimly lit veranda..... the moonlight reflecting on the rocks ......the waves swaying the lonely boat ..... red wine .....yummilicious food...... perfect holiday ever.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DEEPA88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kannur
The Malabar Beach
#7 of 23 in Kannur
Marari Beach Resort
Marari Beach Resort
#2 of 5 in Mararikulam

Been to Chera Rock Beach House? Share your experiences!