“Not a beach person .... but this is my most amazing beach experience ...”

and 1 more site!
Chera Rock Beach House
Ranked #1 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Kannur
Singapore, Singapore
“Not a beach person .... but this is my most amazing beach experience ...”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

So serene ....secluded ...tucked away from the maddening crowd ....... walk on the beach under the moonlit sky in the middle of the night ... relaxing on the dimly lit veranda..... the moonlight reflecting on the rocks ......the waves swaying the lonely boat ..... red wine .....yummilicious food...... perfect holiday ever.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DEEPA88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Saltash, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

... this is a very special place. I'd really like to keep it a secret, but the word is already out, so I feel compelled to add a few observations of my own.
I first came to Chera Rock last January to join one of the inspiring Walk Your Talk Retreats which are run here a few weeks a year. Twelve months later I came back, not only for the relaxation and inspiration of the yoga, meditation, energy work and gentle, effective coaching of the retreat, but for two weeks as a regular guest.
Once again I felt totally at home in my clean and comfortable en-suite haven overlooking the Arabian Sea. There are only nine guest rooms in total, so personal attention is assured here and it has the atmosphere of a homestay rather than hotel. As a lone female traveller, I never for a moment felt scared, vulnerable or alone under the watchful and caring eye of owner Sreeni and his wonderful staff, whose eagerness to please is both sincere and subtle.
My first glimpse of Chera Rock's secluded beachside location through the coconut trees will stay with me forever, but I have added a myriad more beautiful sights and peaceful experiences to my memory banks this time.
I enjoyed wonderful early morning walks along the beach, each day offering something fresh and unexpected, from a dog family at play, local boys chasing crabs on the sands, to the massed local fishing fleet casting their nets in the bay. Sunrises and sunsets were always different, always spectacular in their own way, and swimming in the sea was sometimes like a calm salt bath and other times like a giant wave pool, but always safe because of the gentle shelving of the golden sands.
Some days I went out and about, checking out the sights in nearby towns, villages and countryside - Theyyam ceremonies in the temple, a boat trip up the Mahe river, a martial arts group rehearsal, shops, churches and even visiting elephants with Explore Tellicherry's Biju as my guide. Other days I spent hours swinging in a hammock under the coconut palms.
If you want to detach from modern life completely, then you can certainly do that here... but there's wifi (albeit temperamental as in many places in Kerala) if you need an email or Internet fix.
I loved all the food - three tasty and generous meals every day - and even spent time in the kitchen with learning how to make a one of my favourite dishes with cook Sathi, using fish bought on the beach, straight from the boat.
I can't fault Chera Rock. I hope you all love it... but not too much. I can’t bear the thought that there could be no room at the inn when I want to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Jackie B
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The sun has bid good bye for the day but the skies carry a reddish hue hangover still. The lonely boat near the rocks is reduced to it's silhouette frame. There is an occasional local or two in sight on an otherwise secluded coastline. The moon seems to be in the mood tonight as she readies herself to dimly light up the beach. The smooth & steady waves tempt you to indulge just one more time. And the breeze adds to the intoxication. Is there a more ideal sunset? I have a hard time imagining there could be one.

Just then Ali, the butler, walks in with his ever-so-pleasing smile, bringing with him my evening tea which is made exactly to my taste. And it serves as a reminder that this is not my first time here. I'm a seasoned Chera Rocker. I've stopped keeping count but I must've been here at least six times now. Just one night's journey away from Bangalore by road or rail and I'm here in paradise.
The man behind this little place in heaven, Nived and his dad Mr. Srnivasan treat me like family. But come to think of it, they weren't much different to me the first time I visited.

The place has some magic about it. It touches different people in different ways. It allows me to transcend into a state of reflection and further into introspection and more.

There are a combination of factors which make this place tick. Firstly, this beach is altogether unapproachable by vehicular means which makes it entirely secluded. Secondly, the rocks, the white sand and the trees make for a great view no matter which room you opt for. Thirdly, the steady waves make it a great place for swimming and fishing.
The resort in itself is a fantastic mix of hospitable & efficient staff, great rooms and some very good chefs.

Some points to note:
1. Breakfast is generally a treat for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. But the rest of the meals are subjective. Sea food lovers will surely experience seventh heaven. If you're exclusively chickenitarian, it is best to inform Nived well in advance. And if you're a vegetarian, you're likely to have a mixed experience. While some traditional Kerala dishes may leave you in lip-smacking delight, some others may leave a lot to be desired.

2. Book early. During peak season (December to March), it's notoriously hard to find a room even on weekdays thanks to foreigners who book the place for months at once.

3. Most people who visit the place look for inactivity and nothingness but if activity is your thing, you can request for trips to some local attractions such as Theyyam and Kalari Payatu.

I must've recommended this place to hordes of people by now and no one thus far has come back with a negative experience overall. That pretty much says it all.

Room Tip: Superior room is the most expensive but offers great value for money. The Standard room is a bit of...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nishcites
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

You have to walk a short way from the road, and are greeted with a fantastic view looking down at a fantastic beach. Then you drop down some steps to your chalet which is yards away from the beach. An idyllic place, the sea is fairly calm here so it is very good for swimming. It is a very quiet place. Excellent food

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 671Pamela
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Our second visit to this delightful spot. Nothing had changed since we were last here. Still no air con, but not needed with the sea breeze cooling the room. No TV, but not needed here. The beach is still quiet and deserted, a wonderfully relaxing place to stay.

Unfortunately the vegetarian meals were not quite the same excellent standard as last time. There was standard fare with us having the same as the carnivores minus their generous portions of meat or fish. This was possibly because for much of our stay Nived and Ali were not around. When Ali returned we suddenly found the variety of food improved. Whilst the lack of variety did not diminish our love for Chera Rocks we found five nights enough. I hope the team can re-focus on the need for greater variety in the veggie dishes before our next visit.

Room Tip: All rooms are in great positions: either elevated overlooking the beach or on the beach.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank davebude
London, England
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

This is our second visit, this time longer. It is a restful, clean and comfortable place, with a perfect setting. Charming staff. No tv, no ac. - neither needed!
And the full board food is excellent. What more can one ask for. Try the website for more info.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Brief
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have just returned from Chera Rock Beach House having stayed here taking part in the wonderful Walk Your Talk Retreat... I don't think there could be a more magical place for a Retreat. The location is breathtaking; walking down the path and steps to the view between the coconut trees was a special moment that will stay with me for a very very long time. The service was impeccable at all times and all of the staff went above and beyond to make this a perfect stay. Nivedh and his father should both be very proud of what they have acheived here and I cannot thank them enough for making we feel so welcome. I shall definitely return, I just wish it was sooner rather than later! With my best regards, Fanny :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends