“The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ezhara Beach House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kannur
Ezhara Beach House
Ranked #1 of 62 Kannur B&B and Inns
Bergen, Norway
“The Best!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The scenery is lovely, the food is genuine and fantastic and the old house is beautiful. Prices are very good too. Easy to reach since the owner fixes pick up to the beach house for next to nothing. If you want to find peace and quiet beaches, Ezhara beach house is the best! We could not ask for more and if we did the owner would have fixed it! She is a fantastic woman who helps you with everything you need for a pleasant stay in India.

Room Tip: All rooms are very good and the penthouse room is just fantastic!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
hyacinthKannur, Owner at Ezhara Beach House, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Ice-cream boy, I can not thank you both enough for the very kind and lovely review. We at EBH look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
New York
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The woman who runs this guesthouse, Hyacinth, does everything in her power to make sure that your stay here is relaxing. I came here with 3 girlfriends, and she went above and beyond for all of us. She gave two of my friends full on pedicures, and she helped one of my friends save $200 by getting her a train ticket on what was a fully booked train so that she could avoid an expensive car ride. Ezhara was the perfect place for us to stay and experience Kannur - life for us during those 3 nights revolved around the delicious meals that Hyacinth had prepared for us. Everyone staying in the guesthouse gather for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the two adorable daughters of a woman who works for Hyacinth would also join and entertain us. This was a great place to relax and experience a non-touristy side of Kerala.

Room Tip: I didn't stay in this room, but the couples who stayed in the newly added top floor that is semi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
hyacinthKannur, Owner at Ezhara Beach House, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
We at EBH are so glad that you were all delighted by your stay at ours, thank you so much!!
roaming
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Five stars really isn't enough for Ezhara! In 4 months in India over 2 trips, this is by far the best place I stayed. This is the beach I had been dreaming of and thought I'd never find, now that so many Asian beaches are overrun with tightly packed huts and 'cool' traveller reggae cafes etc etc. This is a long stretch of perfect palm-fringed sand, empty but for the odd fishermen and occasional tourist. No noise, no hassle, just tranquility and relaxation in the form of the blue skies, the breeze in the palms, and the gentle wash of the waves on the shore .
The accommodation is in a traditional old bright blue house right on the beach, at the edge of a village community, nestled in a grove of swaying palms, with fabulous views from the upstairs balcony. My room was cosy with solid wood furniture and the most comfortable bed I had in India, & bathroom (shared between 2 rooms) was gleaming. The house is owned and run by Hyacinth, a real character with a great sense of humour and a very big heart, who commented that "Yes, it's a business, but it has to have a soul" - and it certainly has plenty of that! She will look after your every need - unless you have any desire to lose weight, in which case this place is most definitely not for you! Food is served at a communal table on the little terrace at the front of the house, sheltered by palms and hibiscus bushes, and the quality of the meals is reason alone to come and stay here - rustled up from fresh local ingredients, there is a variety of food at each meal, and there is plenty of it... just be prepared to expand as you stay here, and enjoy some of the most delicious food you will eat in Kerala. Vegetarians and meat eaters are both very well catered for.
Like most guests I wished I had had more time, 3 nights was way too short. It's a very rare thing for me to return to a place or accommodation, but I will most definitely be back here in the next year or two for a longer stay in Paradise. Thanks Hyacinth for your wonderful hospitality and beautiful home!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
hyacinthKannur, Owner at Ezhara Beach House, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
This paradise is your home, where you will need to come back again and again. EBH is NOT for people who are looking for a sterile atmosphere, it is very basic and rustic with its own quirks and oddities ;-)) - see you really soon, I am SO looking forward. Thanks for this lovely review. xx
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

After a long flight with very little sleep and a typical Indian car journey (an experience not to be missed) this is the place to arrive to. Tucked away amongst the coconut trees and right on the beach. At 8am Hyacinth greets you with a traditional keralan breakfast of warmed pancake stuffed with coconut and an array of fruit and juices after which you are revitalised.

From then on the food just keeps coming, ensure you try the green lipped muscles cooked in ginger. This is proper indian food not chicken tikka masala. After a couple of days of eating and rest you are grateful for the wonderful beach, golden sands and great swimming and body surfing. But the best thing is there are only one or two local people about.

We spent seven days here and nothing is too much for Hyacinth, she is a great hostess. If you want to experience a bit of India that is very traditional without the tourism of Goa but right on the coast then this is a wonderful place for a few days R&R.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
hyacinthKannur, Owner at Ezhara Beach House, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
How kind of you to put in this review, Nick. We all at EBH truly do appreciate it.
Paris, France
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We reached the house early evening at dusk time. We were welcomed by 2 adorable little girls and were immediatly offered by Hyacinth our cheerful host, the best kerala-food dinner.
And we started to feed ourselves with everything we had in front of us sea, calm, amazing deserted beach, fishermen and smiling women passing by in the kind of coconut forest that borders the beach ... and let's insist a bit more about the house cuisine that was extremely good and generous
We found at the beach house what one exactly need after hectic days traveling in Mumbai and around. It is probably one the beautifulest place in Kerala, we stayed too short 5 days and I just want to go back there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hyacinthKannur, Owner at Ezhara Beach House, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Marion, thanks very much for the sweet review you have put up. Rest assured, you are very welcome to my humble abode anytime you desire to come back this route again. xx
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My 3 night stay at Ezhara Beach house was the highlight of my trip to Kerala!

Tucked amongst the coconut groves on miles of picturesque white sandy beaches, the location is spectacular! The house itself is old and full of character, with beautiful views from the balcony, and the rooms themselves are cosy and comfortable with shared bathrooms.

The magic of Ezhara beach house is in the warmth, enthusiasm and generosity of Hyacinth who is such a wonderful host! During my stay I was the only guest, and came to feel like I was staying with an old friend. Hyacinth made me feel totally at home, and went above and beyond to ensure I had a great time. I even had the chance to attend a local wedding with her, and head into Kannur for the day. Hyacinth booked all my onward travel, and even went out her way to help me change my ticket a week after I'd left her accomodation.

The food at Ezhara beach house was fantastic, the best I had during my time in Kerala.

This place is a real gem, and will be remembered with fond and happy memories!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
hyacinthKannur, Owner at Ezhara Beach House, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Deep gratitude for the review you so kindly put in. Service with a smile, always friendly - that is the motto at EBH!!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

A fantastic house on a beautiful unspoilt beach. We arrived after a 2.5hr drive from Calicut airport and immediately felt welcomed and looked after by the famous Hyacinth. The house is basic, but this adds to the charm of the place. Loved trying so many different dishes - ask for banana fritters & coconut filled dhosas for breakfast, pumpkin curry, dhal, vege korma, chilli prawns, green mussels (George style) & pan fried black promfet (fish) for lunch or dinner. Hyacinth is one of the kindest people I've ever met. If you wanted something, she'd get it. If you wanted a Tuktuk, train or car booked she'd book it. She showed us the local school and we got to meet the children that lived in the village. She also told us where to go sightseeing and what to buy and what not to do. Treat yourself to a few nights and days at Ezhara. Oh, by the way, Hyacinth loves waxing!

Room Tip: Try out the penthouse!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
hyacinthKannur, Owner at Ezhara Beach House, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your very kind input on my basic and simple home, it is truly much appreciated.