“Value for money”

Trattoria da Olindo
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Vaasa, Finland
“Value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Very good steak to a reasonable price. English speaking serviceminded staff. Clean and small place and a very fast service.

Visited May 2012

Saskatoon, Canada
“Superb Service and Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

We've been to this trattoria on two separate occasions and have been very impressed, especially with one waitress who was particularly helpful and friendly. She patiently translated the menu into English and was happy to answer our questions. The entire staff is extraordinarily friendly.

The menu contains unusual items such as ostrich. The food is fresh and beautifully prepared and presented. The portion sizes are generous. Many menu items are grilled on an open fire. So far we have had the Swordfish Sandwich, lamb and steaks. Excellent value for money. Spacious parking lot.

We already look forward to returning and will every time we are in Venice. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2010
Voorhees, New Jersey
“The Dinner was Delightful, except for the Distain of the Waiter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

We were visiting Venice last month, and the concierge at our hotel highly recommended this Trattoria for dinner. He was unable to make reservations for us, as he couldn't get through on the phone, but advised us that if we arrived early (e.g. - 7:30PM opening time), that they would likely have tables available without reservation.

Indeed they did, and we (wife and two teen daughters) were ushered to a table promptly. I know some Italian (enough to get us around pleasantly during our two-week vacation), but apologized to the waiter in advance for my struggling communication. He seemed OK with that, but started to appear disgruntled when it became apparent that (a) we were not ordering wine and (b) we were not ordering BOTH Primi and Secundi for EACH person. My daughters are light eaters, and a Primi Piatti each is more than enough for them. We weren't asking to share... everyone got individual platters. I was actually ordering an expensive steak dish (having been told that grilling is their specialty). Nonetheless, the waiter rolled his eyes in apparent disapproval and disappeared.

The orders arrived promptly, brought by one of the other waitresses. The dinners were excellent: A large platter of Calamari Fritti for my wife, a perfectly cooked steak for me, and my daughters very much enjoyed each of their pasta dishes. We had plenty of time to savor our food, as no one approached our table after the dinners were served.

We were all looking forward to dessert, but that's where the problems began in earnest. The restaurant had gotten busier (though by no means full), and our waiter appeared intent on a couple of tables of what appeared to be "regulars." I signaled to him several times, and was met with "si, si" and an extended index finger to say "just a minute." I asked the waitress serving the other table for a dessert menu, and she indicated she would get our waiter. He never came. After 40 minutes of waiting, I caught his attention and asked for the check ("Il conto, per piacere!" - trust me, it was clear). Again the "si, si" and the finger up in the air. I had to ask a second time, and finally one of the other waitresses delivered the bill, which was paid in cash, with no tip whatsoever.

It was unfortunate that the waiter was so difficult, as the restaurant was very pleasant and the food excellent. Perhaps I should have complained to the manager, but I feared that my limited Italian would prevent me from doing a good job or might be misunderstood.

So, if you're looking for good food, particularly an awesome grilled steak, and don't mind risking it on the service in this restaurant that seems popular with locals - and to whom they cater quite assiduously - then go to Trattoria da Olindo. If a warmer welcome is more important to you, however, I'd go elsewhere. We had wonderful restaurant experiences in the Veneto and around Italy, but this was sub-optimal.

3 Thank voorheesians