“Slick with grease, a waste of money”
Review of The Barge Inn

The Barge Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A fantastic 300 year old Inn, full of character. A selection of Cask conditioned Ales, premium lagers and wide selection of wines. We serve only freshly prepared food, our menu is changed seasonally, classic pub dishes are served all year round. Good old fashioned Sunday Roast from £11.95 Serving breakfast from 10am every day.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The visit started well, lovely polite server who was friendly and welcoming. It went downhill from there...one of the 3 entree they had on offer was unavailable, the toasted ciabatta suspiciously like untoasted crusty white bread, the olive oil and balsamic vinegar was served in the same bowl and so much oil with a vague drizzle of vinegar impossible to reach.
I should have realised something was up when they informed me that the 8oz steak burger could not be cooked to specification. When it arrived there was so much grease oozing out of the overcooked patty that the lettuce was limp and shiny and the brioche bun fell apart. The relish side was ghastly and I had to ask for ketchup, the chips greasy as well. I barely managed 1/5th of my meal and my friend fared little better with the oil slick chicken burger.
When we brought this to the attention of the server who collected our plates she was apologetic but the woman who came to take our money I have never known the like.
We were informed no-one else had a problem with the food and so it must be our problem not theirs and their food was always well received. There was no consideration of bill reduction considering we had found the food inedible and clearly left the majority of both our meals. We paid and left but will never go back, would strongly recommend avoiding this place unless you want terrible food and to be spoken to like dirt if you make a comment about it. For an excellent meal go to Fraser's minutes down the road. We had lunch there the next day and it was fabulous.

Date of visit: September 2019
2  Thank Darklyangelic666
Write a reviewReviews (678)

Reviewed September 1, 2019

We were waiting for approximately 20 minutes for any sign of her to void an item off the till for our poor waitress who was nothing but polite and attempted to find her for us. She apologised and sat us down, before we ordered she turned up, on her phone very blatantly and having the nerve to tell her staff what to do when she was clearly not obeying her own rules, embarrassing really, the staff are clearly very good, & that is nothing of your own doing, however the managers are a different, much more entitled story, would like to hear your take on this ??

Date of visit: September 2019
5  Thank NE17134
Reviewed August 31, 2019 via mobile

The staff are rude and the food is of such poor quality. They need to change the owner, train the staff and hire new chefs...until that happens i will never go back again.

3  Thank rocketman2019
Reviewed August 29, 2019

Last weekend my husband & I popped in for lunch. At the bar we were served by a young girl and asked if you offered any gluten free options on you menu as I am a celiac. The young lady was not sure so asked an older member of staff, shockingly the lady she asked rolled her eyes and said she would ask.

10 minutes later we reminded the younger girl who said sorry she had forgotten.

We then asked one of your managers who explained that there are no options that she could guarantee are gluten free.

The young lady then returned to inform us that the lady she originally asked had not spoken to the chef.

We drank our drink and left.

I absolutely appreciate that they may not offer any gluten free options but for a member of staff to roll her eyes when asked is totally unacceptable and leaves people with any food intolerances, allergies or conditions feeling awkward when simply going out for dinner.

I would highly recommend retraining staff on the above.

A disappointed customer

2  Thank sandrajs123
Reviewed August 29, 2019

This used to be a great pub, so decided to take my mum out for lunch on a recent trip back to Essex. Service started off pretty good, very pleasant, if a little unorganised.

My mum ordered the ploughmans and I ordered the chilli and prawn linguine. The food eventually arrived after 45 mins but only after we asked to chase it up. It arrived within minutes of us chasing which made me think it had been sitting on the pass for a time. The ploughman’s was ok apart from the bread being a little stale but The linguine resembled tinned spaghetti with over cooked prawns.

It was so bad that I decided not to accept their offer of a replacement dish. Staff were a little curt and for that reason I wouldn’t recommend it at all.

4  Thank leebryan74