“Perhaps we choose the wrong day !”
Review of The Barge Inn

The Barge Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A fantastic 300 year old Inn, full of character. A selection of Cask conditioned Ales, premium lagers and wide selection of wines. We serve only freshly prepared food, our menu is changed seasonally, classic pub dishes are served all year round. Good old fashioned Sunday Roast from £11.95 Serving breakfast from 10am every day.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have been to The Barge a couple of times and the food and atmostphere have always been ok. Not great but ok. I went with a friend on Friday and we went in early for a coffee with a view to having some lunch. We were served our coffee, without a smile and told we could sit anywhere we wanted so we did. When we did ask for a menu we were told we could have a menu but that we would have to move as someone had just booked and requested the table we were sitting at .. so could we move .. so we did .. to The Hawk ! You don't ask customers to move unless the table was previously reserved as far as I am concerned.

Bad day perhaps but we wont be going back.

3  Thank JoD66

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I took my mum for lunch here recently, the food was delicious, hot and tasty. Nothing appeared to be too much trouble for the waitress, she even bought another pot of tea when I asked for more hot water. We both had the cheese topped shephards pie with seasonal veg, followed by rhubarb and apple crumble. The prices were reasonable given the quality of the food. Would definately recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Battlesbridge is such a find, that all should go there at least once. The Barge is in the centre of the village and has served excellent food the two times we have been. The fires are lit, the staff friendly, the surroundings cosy and the pub is always busy with people drinking and eating. The 'bar' menu is very reasonable and good quality. The 'restaurant' menu is much more expensive but far superior in taste and selection, as you would (hope to) expect. Be prepared to pay more than other places but you will get a much nicer meal in return. My advice would be to book a table at busy times, as when I was just drinking here once (gf was shopping in battlesbridge) i over heard that there was a 30 min wait for a table for Sunday lunch, which is to be expected as its not a huge place. I will be returning to the Barge soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Took a chance and visited the pub as we had been shopping near by. The pub is warm and welcoming, met by smiles and shown to a table. We were lucky to get one straight away as it was a busy Saturday lunch time, but there were only two if us. Good menu with plenty of choice. There is a full menu or just a light lunch. I had a trio ploughmans, good size portion nicely presented and my mum had a cheese and red onion baguette, again good size and lovely fresh bread. A simple lunch but very enjoyable and good value for money. Service was excellent even though it was busy. Looking forward to next visit, we will defiantly try it for dinner!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was lucky to get a booking for 10 a week before Xmas for my birthday. The staff were lovely, the menu was excellent - nearly all of us had Beef Wellington which was amazing and cooked exactly as requested. Two had the salmon pasta which was also excellent. I had asparagus and parma ham to start, some had the crab and prawn cocktail - both of which were generously proportioned and perfect! Highly highly recommend this spot!