“It was a bit disappointing”
Review of The Barge Inn

The Barge Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A fantastic 300 year old Inn, full of character. A selection of Cask conditioned Ales, premium lagers and wide selection of wines. We serve only freshly prepared food, our menu is changed seasonally, classic pub dishes are served all year round. Good old fashioned Sunday Roast from £11.95 Serving breakfast from 10am every day.
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We visited here for lunch during the week.

The building outside is charming with a rustic look. Internally it is cosy with beams, log fire and a nice atmosphere.

We were shown to a rather small table pushed up against a wall which also turned out to be unlevel. There was a slim vase with one flower stem in it. The flower had visitors in the way of tiny black flies. I had to put this under the table.

The menu was pretty limited with uninspiring choices, and very high prices.

The initial service was OK, but we had to wait longer than expected for our orders.

The food itself was rather bland and below average. For example, the lasagne I had was not a patch on the weight watchers I would have had at home, although the portion sizes were good.

The cold toilets were not the best I’ve used, but OK.

Food quality, limited choice, dining space, service and price lets the Barge down which is a shame as it could offer a lot more.

2  Thank pecanpie2205

Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I ate here recently using a TZ voucher. I'd been a few times before when the present owners had just taken over and was very impressed on each occasion. However, this time both my friend & I said we wouldn't return. I had the salmon and coriander starter, looked and tasted like tinned salmon. I paid a £3 supplement for the rib-eye steak, it was ok but nothing special. The restaurant was very cold & other nearby diners sat with their coats on. The biggest disappointment was the loud group of guys at the bar. We got the impression that they were regulars. I'm not a prude but don't expect to hear someone swearing at the top of their voice every few minutes. The staff kept shushing them but this didn't stop their attention seeking behaviour. It's a shame as their behaviour totally spoilt our evening. The management need to decide if this is a trendy gastropub or a local boozer.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Limited choice of food and well below average quality. Service less than what would be expected in a restaurant. Shame really as the Barge has a lot of potential. Ambiance and interior very nice but quality and limited choice of food for the price and service really lets it down.

1  Thank Howard-Moon
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Used Travelzoo voucher-staff were really helpful. Went earlier than our last visit as had to wait quite a while to be served before.. Lovely warm atmosphere, log fire. Waitress very friendly-only 1 complaint-we were told we could have anything from the menu we were given but when bill came had to pay £3 supplement for steak and mixed grill. Lovely deserts-beautifully presented. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Went to this restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary using a online offer, 2 x 3 courses and glass of wine each for £30 each, menus looked good on line, hoping for a good night out. Arrived and was told by a succession of staff `someone will be with you shortly ` several minutes later, stroppy staff, ` have you booked` then vanished to get some one to show us to our table, several minutes later, another stroppy member of staff showed us to a tiny, unlevel table, in a small passageway(leading to a large table) and pushed against a wall. On reading the menus, they weren't the same as on line, well mine wasn't, my wife's was, mine was a reduced menu, where extras could be added for extra cost. When this was mentioned to the staff, the manager apologized for the error and gave us both the reduced menus. None of this was stated when booked, the menus were both completely different. Then another long wait for the waitress to take our order, when pulling a manky piece of paper out to take our order, out fell a dirty tissue, she said sorry , she had a heavy cold ??? No hand washing here, after 10 minutes or so our drinks arrived, another half hour our starters came, ages on our plates cleared, ages later main courses came, more dissapointment, stone cold in middle, waited ages to see another waitress and ended up going to bar to explain my plate was cold, bar staff then asked`what would you like me to do` once nuked in a microwave, the whole dish was erupting, waitress claimed she was told by the Chef she had to wait by the table till I had eaten some of it to check its now got enough. After the mains it was another 50 min wait for the dessert menu, amazingly these came only 20 minutes later, still frozen solid. We never stayed for coffee, the font door was wedged open to that the staff going outside for a cigarette could carry on there conversation by shouting to the bar staff, never asked are we OK, never asked would we like any more drinks, every time staff went past tables one of us was knocked, all in all a totally dire experience, if we hadn't have paid in advance would have left before ordering.

1  Thank 99tdog