“Deep into the prehistorical caves”

Cave of El Castillo
More attraction details
Owner description: The Cave of El Castillo contains a very well preserved cave art ensemble and an archaeological deposit with a stratigraphic sequence dating back from the Lower Paleolithic Era (about 150,000 years ago) to the Bronze Age (about 6,000 years ago).
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I loved it; I had been at Ekain cave when I was studing history at college, But compared to this one is more like a splendid temple of prehistorical art! An amazzing feeling to be inside a beatiful cave full of the many eningmas of our ancestors.

The only point is that you should be able to have a good mobility, as there are more than 300 slipy steps to be taken.

1  Thank PatxoTourguide

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I just returned from a whirlwind trip to Spain and Portugal and this was one of our favorite things on the entire trip. They were pretty easy to find and not crowded at all. The entrance price was about 6 Euros if I remember correctly and we went to two of the caves-- monedas
and Castillo. They are closed during lunch time so go in the morning or later on in the afternoon around 2:00. The caves were absolutely amazing. Not only was the art fascinating but the structure of the caves themselves was exquisite. Probably one of the coolest things I've seen in Europe.

1  Thank travelholic86
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We really enjoyed the guided tour of this small cave... as I remember the guide mostly spoke Spanish but mine is good enough that I understood the gist of it, his enthusiasm and excitement infected us all, Spanish speakers and non Spanish speakers alike.
Be aware that there its a bit of a walk to get to the caves, its a lovely walk with nice views in all directions but may pose hardships for someone whose mobility is limited.

2  Thank RutiV
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is one of two caves at the same place, and it's good to book in advance as they only take small groups around at a time. There is a website to do this. This is one of the oldest sites around, and was inhabited for the last 130,000 years - by various types of human which makes it unique! Cave art here is in colour, and the tour is excellent.
Cuevas Las Monedas is a short walk from here - less art here, but more spectacular cave. Recommend you do both.
Excellent value at only E3

2  Thank Amanda P
Reviewed September 3, 2013

On an sunny day with temperature above 35 deg. C it is very nice to visit this temperated cave 25 km south of Santander. The geology of the cave would in it self be at great attraction, but when you in addition are alloved to get real close to some of te oldest paintings in the world it gets really impressing. We enjoyed the few fast spoken english words from the skilled and friendly mainly spanish speaking guide. If you register in advance you avoid queing up at arrival.